Zvezda A321ceo Condor new colours (green) 1/144

On to the next one.

I did this one parallel to the Icelandair:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235120614-zvezda-b737-8-max-icelandair-new-colours-1144/

I am personally a huge fan of the new Condor livery ever since I first saw it. I had in my mind of doing a 321 but could not really decide whether to do the blue, the red or the green. I had a slight preference for the green though, as I hadn’t painted any plane in that colour before.
Nevertheless we were about to fly to Madeira with a Condor A321 in September, so I said to myself if it will be any of the new coloured ones I will do the one that flew us there.. so in fact the green version turned up for the flight and then the decision was easily made. Some detail shots I could make there were also really useful.
Masking this one is obviously quite an effort. I cut some 1,14 cm wide vinyl tape which at least could be used for all the straight sections, the front, the tail and the part under the wings has to be done manually and of course it takes a lot of precise measurements, otherwise the stripes in the back are not where they are supposed to be.
Pretty glad it turned out pretty well.
Decals are from Nazca and are not great with the usual inaccuracies that one has to expect from that seller – unfortunately there were (and still are) no alternatives.
First they are nowhere near opaque, the doors are even with two decals above each other not fully white and again if I hadn’t use double decals the part of the Condor titles that is on white ground was grey. Then quite some spacing is inaccurate, the registration is too wide and in a different font. But as it has quite some space between the letters, if one is aware of that one could cut the letters a bit and make it less wide. The tail decal is also slightly too large, so one has to be super careful that the white stripe on the tail is large enough for it.
Window decals are of course from Authentic Airliners, I personally would never use those weird looking Nazca ones – both cockpit and passenger windows have an inaccurate shape and look weird overall.

All detail decals are from a Revell / Daco A321 neo sheet.

But in the end when using double decals and different windows one can get a decent result that has to be said – to be fair. A good friend of mine is making a fantastic looking red striped A321 at the moment.

Otherwise yes it was an effort with all the masking, but I still have in my head of making a 753 at some point either with red (one is being painted in reality at the moment) or blue stripes.

The green colour is Tamiya X28 “Park Green” mixed with some drops of blue, the rest is basic Mr Hobby / Tamiya stuff. Winglets are painted as well, again with the help of vinyl stripes cut with a plotter.

Here are some photos

Thanks for looking / appreciate any feedback / comments

Julien

img_3231_bm1wuc0b.jpg

img_3212_bmj5isp.jpg

img_3215_bmsmds6.jpg

img_3243bm8efgp.jpg

Edited by JK_Models
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 3

First time that I have seen this scheme modelled and you have made a really fine job of it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of the paint and decals.

It has set the standard for those of us who are still plucking up courage to do something in the new Condor scheme.

Vincent

• Thanks 1

Great result with the new livery,which I find quite funny.

Looks like a lollipop😉

I saw that particular one frequently flying over our place,certainly cant be mistaken for anything else...

Thank you for the hint about the Nazca decals.I had plans to do a Condor Airbus in that livery I hope some other manufacturer will also come up with this scheme.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Thanks 1

Hi Julien

That is just brilliant:clap2:Whether you like the new Condor livery or not (I do) it's certainly eye-catching and unlike anything else before or since.

I share your reservations about Nazca decals although when he gets it right he has some lovely schemes. When I am planning to use Nazca decals I always try to have a "Plan B", an alternative scheme using decals from another manufacturer, but I suppose once you have masked and sprayed the fuselage with green and white stripes you are rather committed to Condor!

Thanks for sharing and bringing a smile to my face!

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your kind comments, I appreciate them. Nice to see it is so well received and to read such nice words from such skilled modellers (I do have seen some super nice stuff from quite some of you).

Also shows that the livery works, it creates emotions. Whether you like it or not it stays in your mind and as Dave said it is unlike anything else. Actually when we flew with it a lot of people took photos when it came to the gate and were like "oh wow that looks cool / interesting". So yeah it created much more attention than normally any airplane does.

@KingTiger435: Those are decals from authentic airliners and yes they are really cool and look quite realisitic, so ever since I used the first set I havent used anything else anymore.

@Skodadriver: You are right. Typically Nazca has stuff that others dont have, unfortunately a bit faulty, so yeah good idea to have a plan B, I fully agree. Normally I wouldnt emphasise so much on it. But what kind of drives me crazy is that on certain social media channels Nazca claims to have nothing less than the most accurate decals around (no joke!). But be it- thanks for your kind comment!

Generally dont know why others havent brought out a decal set yet, as generally it is quite easy, it is not more than some black titles, with some black logos of different sizes and yeah white door outlines that maybe not everyone can produce, but I guess a lot can. On this one most of the work will always be on the modellers side and yes at some point upon masking I was asking myself whether this wasnt not my best but my worst idea 😉

Julien

Edited by JK_Models
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much, a clean paintjob is my main goal for any model, so glad it gets noticed / appreciated. Takes some super careful masking with the right materials (for both the front and the back I used FBS Blue Mask cut in stripes of 2mm wide which has the advantage that it is super flexible, but also sticks very good to the subject and also in edges, unlike the fine Tamyia white tape for example that usually doesnt stick in edges) and some willingness or crazyness to maybe do it again (at least partially) if it didnt work out properly 😉

Edited by JK_Models

• 1 year later...

Hi Julian,

Oh yes this is eye catching! Sorry I missed it first time round.

Very sharp and crisp paint job which I too am planning for a Zvezda 757-300. I think I'll do the red stripe one.

Looking forward to more of your models.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Julian,

Oh yes this is eye catching! Sorry I missed it first time round.

Very sharp and crisp paint job which I too am planning for a Zvezda 757-300. I think I'll do the red stripe one.

Looking forward to more of your models.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you so much Ian, appreciate your comment.

Now over one year since I build this model I do think about a 753 as well, funny enough also in red. Yes, the time in between is important, as right when I finished I could not have imagined doing that masking again for even more stripes 😉