F-16's forever?

Slater

Reading a current "Defense News" article, as of last summer Lockheed Martin's F-16 factory had a backlog of 128 aircraft. Turkey wants to order another 40 but the backlog (and politics) puts them at the back of the line. 

When Lockheed moved the F-16 assembly line to South Carolina I had assumed that the end of F-16 production was on the horizon. I think the continued demand surprised even some at LockMart.

I believe F-16 production started around 1980 (?). Will new aircraft still be rolling off the line in 2030?

F-16 production started earlier, the first examples were delivered to USAF and Belgium end of 1978. There is a lot more information available on www.f-16.net 

The current block 70/72 version bridges a gap between 4 gen and 5 gen aircraft, even if it lacks the stealth caracteristics, so will very well be around for many years still. 

• Like 1

F-15EX would seem to be a natural replacement (with a stronger airframe) for the older "E" models. But I think the current plan is for EX's to go to the Air National Guard to replace the elderly "C" models. I believe the current procurement target is only for 80 or so aircraft.

A comparatively cheap fighter aircraft is always needed. When compared to F-22, F-35 the ticket price is important, especially so on a limited (stop that laughter in the back seats!) military defence budget.

The F-15EX is providing cheap airframes to keep the AF able to field squadrons in the numbers desired.

Add on top of that the ability to fly faster than the stealthy fighters (if needed - run away quickly!) and the capabilities of the biggest AESA radar on any fighter. The array is 36" in diameter, so can put through a heck of a lot more power which means more detecting abilities... The adversaries "stealth" may not now be as good as first thought.

Edited by hairystick

• 2 weeks later...