Airfix RAF Rescue Launch HSL 128 Malta

Here is my partially completed model of the Airfix High Speed Launch, depicting HSL 128 at Malta in 1942. The model has been on the Shelf Of Procrastination for several years, but its back on the go now.
It's slow going, so I thought I would put it in Work in Progress. I've never done a WIP before, so...bit scary.

All the modifications to the kit are based on photos of the actual launch.

The red cross and yellow doped deck was added by the crew after HSL 128 and sister launch HSL 129 were attacked by enemy aircraft.

I need to tidy up the red cross.

There are some firsts for me here- using epoxy to sculpt, and tapering and soldering brass.

Other modifications:

• Foot rails scratch built
  • Brass masts
  • Blocks added for scramble nets
  • New foot rails on cabin roof from Evergreen strips
  • Windlass detailed with plastic
  • New splinter matts to conform to the matts shown in photos of HSL 128  and give the characteristic droop. Made from Milliput
  • New handrails from plastic rod and strip
  • Forward turret modified without Perspex, but with some sort on windshield- presumably canvas. The Perspex was was removed from the forward turret, with some sources saying it was damaged by enemy attack

No weathering yet

y4mSN7REpROjOppu3qH0mPkgjT2bmjG23pxXF8sG

Brass masts

y4mkDzdROxczBMKM2TZ1Cxwkilh3lurvv4mQAaWX

y4mrS43Rgrd0btJb-wfSyqFvL8PH3J1Jpg5Xtj0S

Blocks added for scramble nets

y4mwPjyTopukSc8y4vFxdt4IrMg310Mr9Qsgr6M6

New splinter matts to conform to cabin 

y4mcoYW9YKvNYca8ZZNhpY3u4TCVYG2cf9tL3N-Y

New Handrails

y4moOJ3QgEopKtFl7qa1kO1cCr7Zikja0VF2nRA2

Droopy side splinter matts

y4mtPI5xkPPTJs73pIE3VUKJ2P9ebxbE98a_q8ut

y4mRbGD44jyehEuM8moW0uAaMnBfWxhuLsa2jC0J

More splinter matts

y4mSc2tlAiaoprL_r1V8wsmPlOKi7mzfzUKo5R5A

Front cupola without Perspex

y4mjubguXmR2xZSLCeCbfC1fp6sDurZEDK0yQes4

Edited by Model cobber
Clarification
  • Like 17

• Model cobber changed the title to Airfix RAF Rescue Launch HSL 128 Malta

Turret depression rails/guard rails bent into shape and soldered. My first ever attempt at soldering.

I still have to clean them up- I'm not the neatest solderer!

Two sets of rails. One set for HSL 128 and one set for HSL 127 which is also WIP. I'm doing two models at once.

First photo- the rear turret rails. As per the shape of the plastic part in the kit:

y4mqADbzuwYuxurneXcQ7p5P7ShZsZTea7Tt1frG

Second photo- the front turret rails:

These are not symmetrical. A close look at various photos of HSLs shows that the front rails were highest off to the starboard side, not directly in front. This is presumably to prevent the guns doing injury to the skipper in the conning hatch, whereas it was probably ok, even desirable, to be able to shoot straight ahead.

y4mXPMVs6JDo5L98bw4Mqg_CEDVWfZFSCRPGasKg

• Like 11

I use DCC concept's flux (and their solder without rosin, both available in Australia) and that really helps letting the solder flow nicely. I add a drop by brush on the brass, put a bead of solder on the joint and add heat. Smaller tips do no necessarily help here, sometimes a larger tip helps heating up the material quicker. Also, I do not use a cleaning sponge as this caused tip burn and then no amount of flux will help you.

That is hugely impressive and sets a standard for this build - well done for the rails I attempted to build a jig to form but got nowehere near as close as you.

So far - it's the best effort I've seen and kuds for your scamble net holdrs that look the Bizz.

If I have one small critiicism and I feel unworthy stating it, given the standard of modelling, is that the splinter mats are slightly too deep.

Keep it coming :clap2:

Rob

Great work.

Hope these are useful.

I was over at the Yorkshire air museum at Elvington a couple of weeks ago and made a bee-line for the air gunners hut to photo the Armstrong Whitworth turret. So having just signed up to Flickr and sorted how to upload... 

52672978650_f83d4d913e.jpg

52672041857_4a4521be38.jpg

52672541756_574f13f3c3.jpg

52672835464_fd279edb6f.jpg

52672835554_e21c449c69.jpg

52672041867_ae937ef47a.jpg

52673042153_beb1ae4046.jpg

52672041902_888072cc10.jpg

Cheers

Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, robgizlu said:

That is hugely impressive and sets a standard for this build - well done for the rails I attempted to build a jig to form but got nowehere near as close as you.

So far - it's the best effort I've seen and kuds for your scamble net holdrs that look the Bizz.

If I have one small critiicism and I feel unworthy stating it, given the standard of modelling, is that the splinter mats are slightly too deep.

Keep it coming :clap2:

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for the comments. I agree, some of the mats are to deep. My first attempts at sculpting. I think I'll have another try at a couple. All part of the learning experience. MC

2 hours ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

Great work.

Hope these are useful.

I was over at the Yorkshire air museum at Elvington a couple of weeks ago and made a bee-line for the air gunners hut to photo the Armstrong Whitworth turret. So having just signed up to Flickr and sorted how to upload... 

52672978650_f83d4d913e.jpg

52672041857_4a4521be38.jpg

52672541756_574f13f3c3.jpg

52672835464_fd279edb6f.jpg

52672835554_e21c449c69.jpg

52672041867_ae937ef47a.jpg

52673042153_beb1ae4046.jpg

52672041902_888072cc10.jpg

Cheers

Al

Hi Al

Thanks, that will certainly help. MC

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Geoff and Rob

Thanks for the positive comments.

I'm probably being too critical of myself.

The solder is a bit blobby and I scratched the brass a bit trying to clean it up. It would be ok, but I've had another try and made two more masts.
I am happier with these. The solder is neater, and I've rounded the ends of the yardarm better. All part of the learning experience. This gives me two masts for the current projects, and one more for HSL 177, if I ever get round to it.

MC

y4mJP-Ka4xdYJ6m_8wgg2lAgGs-D3r7OABvb4XGt

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Well, life has been busy! I've just got back to the modelling projects.

When I went to attach the depression rails to the turret bases, I felt that they were just too wide, even though I had based them on the plastic rails from the kit.

So...out with the soldering iron again.

Here are the new, smaller rails, the front rail attached to the turret base with epoxy and a bit of super glue. The rear rail is in the process of being attached.

Also I sanded back a bit of primer on the cabin, so I could glue a representation of the join between the two halves of the hatch, and the hinges to same, both from Evergreen strip. 

y4mVC4n_Sd4EP7KQ2J8nV74AyQ8zNzPEmUPBNX7l

• Like 4

The front turret rail is not symmetrical, fore and aft. It is highest off to one side at the front, where it can presumably protect the skipper's conning position.

y4m4YhwBTO9Kz7OVI1shXMINWY6TXOGIEMnpLXoR

y4mq-rLzntNLTFPI3YelcajMvgQosxnAH596KH_C

Here is the rear turret rail, held in position with plastic strip and blue tac for gluing. 

y4mOSEdpJkizVnxdbuXRUL2pURVuh63aVs2QYWrC

• Like 8

Only just caught up with this.  Nice work.

Your comment that intrigued me though was this:

On 18/01/2023 at 22:30, Model cobber said:

The red cross and yellow doped deck was added by the crew after HSL 128 and sister launch HSL 129 were attacked by enemy aircraft.

I wondered what was going through their minds when they did that.  Were they trying to portray themselves as a Hospital Sip?  To be granted such protection under the Geneva Convention, the ship has to be painted overall white with red crosses and crucially have no armament on board.  To me it looks more like an "aim here" marker!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1