Zvezda B737-8 Max Icelandair new colours 1/144

Not my Genre but I photograph these often and that pink looks a tricky colour to match. You have nailed it!. Excellent job on the paintwork/stencils. A lovely result.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2

Congratulations of an excellent job Julien.  I'm not sure if I like the new Icelandair livery but it certainly can't be mistaken to any other airline!

Out of interest what blue paint did you use? 

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind words Malcom & Dave.

For the blue I first tried Mr Hobby H5 but then found it a bit too bright and then went for Tamiya X-4, which I found a bit too dark.
So in the end I went for a mix and took the H5 and made it a bit darker with a bit of X-4. 

Cheers,
Julien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A real beauty.

I never saw that livery before,but sure is very attractive.

Superb result on that paintjob.

I tried vinil once...with rather sorry results,so hats off for such a great paintjob

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments.

@alex: Yeah my first tries with Vinyl werent great either. It takes some time getting used to, but then it offers quite some new possibilities.

The livery got quite some mixed feedback when it was released, but I really like it. There's now a rather nice Cargo 767-300, had it existed when I started the model I might have done this one. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your comment.

As for the blue (engine colour) I mixed it actually starting with mr Hobby H5.

But if one uses decals I would use the colours of the titles as a reference by try to match it. As on both the 8a decs and the Authentic Airliner decals the blue was too dark (darker than the original). With some lighter engines it would look weird.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'm making the same kit in the same Magenta livery. The decals didn't go on well at all, so I've decided to paint the tail, and then add the white decal on top.

You mentioned Vallejo paints, was it the Fluorescent Magenta 70735 you initially used?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daniel Jones said:

I'm making the same kit in the same Magenta livery. The decals didn't go on well at all, so I've decided to paint the tail, and then add the white decal on top.

You mentioned Vallejo paints, was it the Fluorescent Magenta 70735 you initially used?

No I didnt use fluorescent magenta, the Icelandair colour is not fluorescent either, it was a normal magenta.I think it was 62.007. But again I would not recommend it. 

• Like 1

Hi Julien! 

Well done! I am not a fan of the newer livery at Icelandair, but that is no matter in your demonstration of skill in finishing this beauty. I really like the base you’ve used to display the finished model…lends to a more realistic photo. Thank you for sharing….very well done. 

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful build! Interesting to see a paint mask being used, instead of decals. It looks really good! Great work.

Your recent A321 with the green stripes is also Excellent!

• Like 1

Perfect work!

The first photo tricked me. At first look I really think that was the reference photo from the original airplane, that is took on a real airfield. Very realistic model.

Congratulation

• Like 1

Hi Julien,

Amazing finish! Did you even mask the logos on the inside of the winglets?!

I'm very interested in the use of masks rather than decals for the livery, it opens up so many colour schemes and solves two main problems when painting models. Firstly, matching a decal colour to painted areas of the livery especially when the decals are laser printed and secondly, where decals overlap. I'm thinking around the nose with cheat lines or any parts of the livery which wrap over the top of the fuselage eg Iberia, Mytravel etc. or whole tail decals which never work properly, for me anyway!

I must investigate using a vinyl cutter to make masks.

Looking forward to more of your models!

Cheers,

Ian 

• Like 1