Anything by Eduard GB, 2024 - under new management

TonyOD

Final edit 20/1/23

Hi all

I'm thoroughly enjoying hosting the Salty Sea Dog GB at the moment and am delighted that it's being so well supported, but my thoughts are already turning to 2024.

There have been plenty "classic" GBs based on kits from individual manufacturers, however I'd like to propose a "modern classics" GB - anything by Eduard.

Since I got back into Spitfires I've become slightly captivated by the Czech manufacturer's products, not to mention how they are packaged and marketed (and I do like the discernible sense of fun associated with the company). I've accumulated everything from basic Overtrees through Weekend and Profipack editions right up to a couple of their lovely Dual Combo boxings (Royal Class has so far eluded me, though!) I have yet to be disappointed when opening an Eduard kit or setting about the building thereof.

So the theme of my GB would simply be: anything by Eduard. Ideally a kit with "Eduard" on the box, their reboxings of other manufacturers' kits with their own added goodies are perfectly eligible. Eduard sprues repackaged by other brands permissible (there are some, I believe), however please point to the relevant Scalemates page by way of evidence of your build's pedigree. Other manufacturers' kits simply improved with Eduard aftermarket don't fall within the scope of the proposal. Any and all additions to, refinements or improvements of your chosen kit(s) permitted.

Potential for some great-looking builds methinks.

Any takers?

Cheers

Tony

Interested parties:

1. @TonyOD

2. @psdavidson

3. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

4. @vppelt68

5. @DaveJL

6. @DaddyO

7. @RC Boater Bill

8. @Alex.B

9. @Marlin

10. @ModelingEdmontonian

11. @bigfoot

12. @TEMPESTMK5

13. @franky boy

14. @Ray S

15. @Marklo

16. @Jabba

17. @Stefan Buysse

18. @John Masters

19. @Andwil

20.  @2996 Victor

21. @flashlight

22. @Rafwaffe

23. @Wings unlevel

24. @zegeye 

25. Your name here…

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

@Corsairfoxfouruncle @vppelt68 @DaveJL Thank you fellow Eduardians for this early show of support. I've just done a mental count of how many of their 1/48 Spits I have in the stash and I'm at about 11, I reckon. That's not to say I wouldn't consider breaking out with a different choice of subject!

Anyway, back to Salty Sea Dog duties...

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TonyOD said:

So the theme of my GB would simply be: anything by Eduard. It has to be a kit with "Eduard" on the box, their reboxings of other manufacturers' kits with their own added goodies are perfectly eligible. Kits carrying the names of other manufacturers simply improved with Eduard aftermarket don't fall within the scope of the proposal.

What about kits that are reboxed Eduard sprues?   Some examples:  The Smer 1/72 Albatros D.V is just Eduard sprues with different decals.  Ditto for the Smer 1/72 Fokker Dr.1.  

Same for the Sabre kits - Eduard sprues with some nice alternative markings:  

spacer.png

I think the above kits are more “Eduard” than my 1/72 B-26B Marauder, which is Hasegawa plastic in an Eduard box….

By the way, I’m in. I have a bunch of Eduard 1/72 WW1 kits in the stash!   Including the above, I have:

- Four Dr.1  (+8 built)

- Six Albatros D.V (+5 built)

- Seven Nieuports (1 built)

- One SPAD 13

……and one Spitfire!

Edited by RC Boater Bill
fixed typos, added list
  • Like 3

Count me in too please, I have a number of Eduard boxings in the stash, a couple off WWI types, a Russian inter-war (inter WWI and WWII, that is) Biplane and an ex-Mauve P-40N/M with Eduard's upgrades in the Eduard-logo'd box.

I have a horrible feeling, judging from some of the other replies (and this one!), that @Enzo the Magnificent is going to have a field day with this GB when it gets through.

Ray

Oh. PS: I have NO Eduard Spitfires in the stash

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

What about kits that are reboxed Eduard sprues?

Um. This muddies the waters very slightly, I wasn't actually aware other companies had reboxed Eduard sprues.

To me Eduard's strength is the package. So for the sake of simplicity I'm going to make the condition of eligibility that if it says Eduard on the box, whether or not it's their plastic, it's in; if not, it's not eligible, even if it was originally Eduard sprues. Might seem a bit odd I realise but keeps it simple. Furthermore any aftermarket used should be Eduard.

You'd think I was on the payroll... 🤣 

21 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I hate the arrogant and greedy company

What makes you say that? I think their stuff is pretty well priced for what you get.

9 hours ago, Ray S said:

Oh. PS: I have NO Eduard Spitfires in the stash

But they're so nice...

Thanks to everyone who has raised a hand so far! 

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Anything by Eduard GB, 2024 - 24 hours in, halfway to the Bunfight!
5 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Um. This muddies the waters very slightly, I wasn't actually aware other companies had reboxed Eduard sprues.

To me Eduard's strength is the package. So for the sake of simplicity I'm going to make the condition of eligibility that if it says Eduard on the box, whether or not it's their plastic, it's in; if not, it's not eligible, even if it was originally Eduard sprues. Might seem a bit odd I realise but keeps it simple. Furthermore any aftermarket used should be Eduard.

I understand about the reboxes - I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that Smer reboxed Eduard sprues.   I bought it in 2021, when it was hard to find an Eduard Weekend Edition 1/72 Dr.1, because the last release of that version was in  2016.   Given the small number of subjects/kits impacted, I doubt anyone will really care…. 

I am a little bit put off  by the “any aftermarket must be Eduard”- Is that going too far? You are banning aftermarket decals?    Parts from the scrap box?  Rigging products?   Crew figures?  Are you really looking to have  a new type of GB-  a “SMGB” (Single Manufacturer Group Build)?    (Which might be something new and different, but that hasn’t been part of the proposal up until now….Will  that hurt the chances of passing in the bunfight?)

Having said all of the above…..

Given the bang-up job you’re doing with the Sea Dogs GB,  I’d probably join in an “empty sprues GB” if you were running it….!

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 1

• TonyOD changed the title to Anything by Eduard GB, 2024
10 hours ago, TonyOD said:

What makes you say that? I think their stuff is pretty well priced for what you get.

:hmmm:Maybe I need to adjust my thoughts about them. They had their attitude issues (10 years ago?) but I think it's time I forget all about that. Like I said, I like their masks and love their kits! V-P

• Like 1