Tamiya King George V

First time posting on here.  Thought I would share my current King George V build with Pontos detail kit that I started mid December.  I am still new to building ships and the detail kits so any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  

The first thing I will point out is I made a mistake that I didn't realize until well into the build.  The Pontos detail kit is actually for the Prince of Wales kit and I definitely got the King George V kit.  Oh well I have been able to do some scratch building to adjust and keep everything rolling along.  I am pretty happy with it so far.  

HMS King George V HMS King George V HMS King George V HMS King George V HMS King George V HMS King George V

I still have quite a bit of deck work and all the AA guns left to do.  I will post more as I continue to work along.  

• Like 10

If I may suggest, tint wooden deck, since as it is now it looks out of scale- singular color, wood grain..... Use fine brush, diluted paint (some sand and lt. brown, I use 2 sand, and 2 lt brown shades). Work plank by plank randomly. I recommend using oil based colors (I prefer Humbrol), since it offers longer drying time, and possibility to correct any mistakes (with thinners). And I do apologize if I jumped the gun with this comment, and you already planned to do it in your own way.

Hey Zoran, your not jumping the gun at all.  The deck is something I have been trying to figure out.  The contrast is definitely throwing it off to me, enough to cause me to stop last weekend and set things aside while I determine my next steps.  I was trying to find an image of the deck to see if it was tinted or painted before I moved on with any of the other steps.  I have done a couple of American battleships that had the deck blue, but I got the pre-stained pontos decks both times.  This would be my first time doing it myself if I chose to go that route. So any advice is greatly appreciated.

For 1941 the wooden planked deck areas was what I was going to mention, actually. It was stained dark during that period. We don't know exactly what it was stained with and the only photographs are black and white, but the order instructing decks be stained dark suggested a mixture of Japan Black and Turpentine would give the desired effect.

It's admittedly less aesthetically appealing but that's how the ship was then - do with that as you wish :)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, PaulsModels said:

Thanks Jamie.  I think I will do some testing with the scraps I have from the wooden deck.  I think darkening it but perhaps with a faded look to it is what I am going to go for. 

Same principle applies... Work with oils, thinned, in couple of layers, so you can control thickness (translucence) of layers. And forgive me, if I'm stating the obvious, wood will, at first soak up the paint, so two consecutive layers might not behave in same way. Take your time, and work in small segments. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit since I posted things have been crazy at work. With that said in the mean time I have been planning my next build the 1/200 HMS Hood. Which I already bought some colourcoat paints for. This leads me to my KGV update. I realized how off my paint scheme really was so I masked up the KGV and went to correcting that with the correct colourcoat paint. Very happy with how it turned out. @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies the paints were amazing and worked perfectly. I also stained the deck, which I am very happy with. Thanks @Zoran SrbHoping to get the rest of the AA and deck fitting taken care of today and tomorrow. More to come.

52655040478_2fae9ce49e_b.jpg 52654837019_0498f8d311_b.jpg 52655040653_c824b8e563_b.jpg 52655040618_d32dee5eb5_b.jpg 52655040598_98864d1fdb_b.jpg 52655040658_63779dd9aa_b.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you Arnold. In most of the shots I have the USS North Carolina in the background. She was my first ship model. The USS Alabama I was working on at the same time as the KGV got boxed up and put in the closet after an unfortunate accident with my dog. I just don’t have it in me to try and repair the damage.

I did get some more work done on the KGV while I watched some football today. Mainly focused on the aft deck and getting all the ammo boxes and crazy amount of smoke stacks installed. Still a lot to do but I pretty happy with the progress so far. 

52657382501_ba453b2043_b.jpg

52657831340_ef2cf550a9_b.jpg

What I am not sure about is if the tops of the turrets were painted in the dark grey like steel decks were or not. Gotta do a little research on that. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, PaulsModels said:

In most of the shots I have the USS North Carolina in the background.

Oops, silly me, my mistake. Two funnels and the 5/38 turrets one deck lower. I scratch built a model of her too, many decades ago, still have it. So I should have spotted the differences.

Regards, Jeff.