Flow improver?

Watto

Hi, whilst spraying a camouflage pattern into my latest project using Lifecolor acrylic paint, I experienced a lot of tip drying issues. After reading the forums, I decided that the lack of flow improver was my mistake. After looking to buy some on line, there seemed to be some conflict as to wether the product described was thinner or improver. Am I right in thinking that I would only need to add a small amount of flow improver to my already thinned paint? 

Are any brands better than others? 

Thanks for any help.

From my limited experience, yes, just a small amount of flow improver/retarder. Probably no more than a few drops per airbrush cup. 

I have these:

36190118136_6e40cb71cd_z.jpg

46394580264_a7fbe2c3a0_n.jpg

I'm sure more experienced folk will be along soon to give you better information.

Chris

• Like 1

Windsor & Newton do one, but I've forgotten the name.  Just test it before you use it, as some acrylics are different than others. :yes:

Also, don't drink that stuff, as it's bad for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks chaps, I didn't think flow improver was anything more just an additive but, the reviews I read made me doubt myself. 

Sounds like I ought to avoid a taste test though.... 😁

Thanks again for your replies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CFster said:

Dr. Strangebrush’s recommendations changed my airbrushing life. 

https://modelpaintsol.com/guides/liquitex-flow-and-slow-the-tools-for-taming-acrylic-paints

That's great, cheers. I have just been experimenting on Tamiya and Liquitex and have found it to be great. Still perfecting the mix rates but have found it nearly as easy to spray as lacquer paints (without the heavy duty smell which is a massive bonus.)

The tip of not using it with Flat clear coats also makes sense of the finish I have recently got. Tamiya flat is normally very flat but is coming out satin. So I will try it without Liquitex and see what happens.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

That's great, cheers. I have just been experimenting on Tamiya and Liquitex and have found it to be great. Still perfecting the mix rates but have found it nearly as easy to spray as lacquer paints (without the heavy duty smell which is a massive bonus.)

The tip of not using it with Flat clear coats also makes sense of the finish I have recently got. Tamiya flat is normally very flat but is coming out satin. So I will try it without Liquitex and see what happens.👍

And it works. I used it with just thinner and the finish is great. Top tip.👍

While looking for something else, I found this:

52713864583_64f8682fe3_b.jpg

It must have got knocked of the shelf and landed on the mass of various paint containers on the storage unit below it.

I've never used it yet, so can't comment on it.

Chris

32 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I've never used it yet, so can't comment on it.

I dit. It's working quite well - it is not as concentrated as some solutions (like, for example, Liquitex which you need to dilute 1:10-1:20 first before even using it). It's exactly the same thing as @binbrook87 and others used just in a smaller bottle.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I dit. It's working quite well - it is not as concentrated as some solutions (like, for example, Liquitex which you need to dilute 1:10-1:20 first before even using it). It's exactly the same thing as @binbrook87 and others used just in a smaller bottle.

Can it be used with other brands of acrylic paint?

Chris

6 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Can it be used with other brands of acrylic paint?

I did use it with Golden, Tamiya, Vallejo, Revel, AK Interactive and Humbrol. Worked fine all time.

• Like 1