Italeri catalogue 2023 - novelties, reissues etc. - and Platz boxings

Homebee

2 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Great to see the 1/12 Stratos. 

The question now is do I bother to finish my old Doyusha one?

It is indeed great to have a new 1/12 Stratos. I also have a Doyusha one under construction. Considering its age (the Doyusha kit was originally the Nitto one), it is good, but hopefully a new kit will prompt a host of alternative decal options. I will still build the Doyusha one and probably get the Italeri one as well.

I am also pleased to see the San Remo Delta is being issued as it will be a nice change from a white Martini livery.

• Like 1

The Tu-22M3 Backfire release could be interesting, I should think that will kill the sub £100 prices they have been on ebay recently.

F-35B and C will be nice, as will the F-16 Blk52, and the AC-119K will be nice, the decals in the old ones are getting on the dodgey side now.

A Merlin, Crocodile and Super Stallion. Nice to see the Wessex remains in production and the F-16 cockpit is odd as the Reskit F-111 cockpit thread I put on here mentions it as its been some years since that saw the light of day.

Scania 142H canvas truck will be well recieved by the truck modellers Im sure, as will a normal roof S Series Scania.

Interesting preview.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

The Tu-22M3 Backfire release could be interesting, I should think that will kill the sub £100 prices they have been on ebay recently.

Reissue is announced since 2020, so I wouldn't count too much on this kit being released. Personally I would probably go for the Trumpeter model, at the moment you can buy it for about €90.

BTW, here's a list of other Italeri announcements that have aged nicely. And these are just the aviation ones that are present in this 2023 catalogue.

1/32

• 2511 — NATO Pilots, Ground Crew and Accessories — announced since 2016

1/48

• 2767 — Macchi C.200 XXI serie — announced since 2017
  • 2806 — Reggiane Re.2002 Ariete — announced since 2020
  • 2816 — Dassault Mirage III — ex-ESCI — announced since 2021
  • 2821 — Eurocopter PAH-2 — announced since 2021

1/72

• 1412 — Savoia SM.79 Sparviero — announced since 2018
  • 1424 — Henschel Hs 129B — announced since 2019
  • 1428 — Lockheed Martin F-16 C/D Block 50/52 — announced since 2019
  • 1431 — Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion — announced since 2019
  • 1432 — Mil Mi-24P / Mil Mi-35P — announced since 2019
  • 1438 — FIAT CR.32 Freccia — ex-Supermodel — announced since 2020
  • 1440 — Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire-C" — ex-ESCI — announced since 2020
  • 1449 — Republic RF-84F Thundeflash — announced since 2021
  • 1458 — Bell OH-13 Sioux Korean War — announced since 2021

Unfortunately, I have no idea why Italeri's policy is the way it is, and why they are having such problems reissuing their own models. Especially when they have been announcing their reissues for several years. These delays can't even be blamed on COVID, because half of these models were announced before 2020. The release of the 1/32 NATO pilots has been announced for so long that other companies have in the meantime released novelties, withdrawn them from sale, then reissued them again.

From my point of view this is evidence of the company's loss of relevance and its relegation to the second league of manufacturers. Regardless of any sentiment, the number of moulds in stock and the many years of existence in the market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

_ Fiat CR 32 is not properly ex-Supermodel. It's a kit based on Supermodel with a complete "lifting" and "update", now we can consider it as an Italeri tools, not Supermodel. As it was for the Re 2000 and SM 81, The improoved Ju88 and others. Some years ago Italeri started this operation of revamping their tools or tools now in property, operation that is a pity did not go over the Ju88/SM81 ... the last project of revamping (not concluded Sigh) was about 4 or 5 years ago on F84F, 1/72 scale, items that after the annouce was cancelled from catalogue the year after ( I'm sure Mr Mikolajski could be more accurate about the dates of this Italeri failed program/project). 

About the position of the company in the league, considering only aircraft in 48/72 scale I'm with Mr Mikolajski at 100%,, in 32 the situation is different. It's clear Italeri has lost positions, anyway for 1/32 scale aircraft, 1/35 ship ( torpedo boat should be a better definition! ; ) ), and probably 1/12 car and big truck ... well, it's still near the top. 

12 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Reissue is announced since 2020, so I wouldn't count too much on this kit being released. Personally I would probably go for the Trumpeter model, at the moment you can buy it for about €90.

BTW, here's a list of other Italeri announcements that have aged nicely. And these are just the aviation ones that are present in this 2023 catalogue.

1/32

1/48

• 2767 — Macchi C.200 XXI serie — announced since 2017
  • 2806 — Reggiane Re.2002 Ariete — announced since 2020
  • 2816 — Dassault Mirage III — ex-ESCI — announced since 2021
  • 2821 — Eurocopter PAH-2 — announced since 2021

1/72

• 1412 — Savoia SM.79 Sparviero — announced since 2018
  • 1424 — Henschel Hs 129B — announced since 2019
  • 1428 — Lockheed Martin F-16 C/D Block 50/52 — announced since 2019
  • 1431 — Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion — announced since 2019
  • 1432 — Mil Mi-24P / Mil Mi-35P — announced since 2019
  • 1438 — FIAT CR.32 Freccia — ex-Supermodel — announced since 2020
  • 1440 — Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire-C" — ex-ESCI — announced since 2020
  • 1449 — Republic RF-84F Thundeflash — announced since 2021
  • 1458 — Bell OH-13 Sioux Korean War — announced since 2021

Unfortunately, I have no idea why Italeri's policy is the way it is, and why they are having such problems reissuing their own models. Especially when they have been announcing their reissues for several years. These delays can't even be blamed on COVID, because half of these models were announced before 2020. The release of the 1/32 NATO pilots has been announced for so long that other companies have in the meantime released novelties, withdrawn them from sale, then reissued them again.

From my point of view this is evidence of the company's loss of relevance and its relegation to the second league of manufacturers. Regardless of any sentiment, the number of moulds in stock and the many years of existence in the market.

I do not see the announced 1/72 AMX.

1 hour ago, Robertone139 said:

I do not see the announced 1/72 AMX.

It was announced just last year and as a brand new item. Yearly delays with new releases are so frequent that it would be unfair to mention AMX or Macchi C.202 in 1/32.

1 hour ago, Paolo6691 said:

Or the HH-101A CAESAR

"that are present in this 2023 catalogue"

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

If only Italeri reissues their H-19 someday. They reissued their fairly decent kit 15 years ago for the last time and nothing since then. H-19 was such a prominent helicopter and all we have is the Airfix kit that was originally issued at the time real H-19 was still in production.  

Agreed- also a reissue of their new tool 1/72 JetRanger ( originally in the LAPD boxing) of which they release about four worldwide for .327 of a nanosecond then nothing since (and IIRC they included the high and low skids) as an unabashed Ranger fan would love to one in an 80s beige and brown factory scheme. Given its ubiquity as a chopper I’m amazed it (Kiowa notwithstanding) remains so under represented . 

TT

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Agreed- also a reissue of their new tool 1/72 JetRanger ( originally in the LAPD boxing) of which they release about four worldwide for .327 of a nanosecond then nothing since (and IIRC they included the high and low skids) as an unabashed Ranger fan would love to one in an 80s beige and brown factory scheme. Given its ubiquity as a chopper I’m amazed it (Kiowa notwithstanding) remains so under represented . 

TT

Yes, I could maybe see KP running it - either buying sprues from Italeri (they've boxed some of their kits) or their own version (assume the Cessna kits have been decent sellers, so decent market for civilian aircraft?)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

1/32

It's only taken them SEVEN YEARS to release this set. It has been in their catalogue ever since. Will this be another non-release year?

15 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

The reason they do it is so they dont have any problems.

1 hour ago, AMB said:

It's only taken them SEVEN YEARS to release this set. It has been in their catalogue ever since. Will this be another non-release year?

We actually have some detail of what is included at least now. Seems a bit of a strange mix (F-104, F-35, Tornado and Mirage), and would imagine all are seated pilots on that basis. 

I'd been hoping for a few ground crew, as per various ICM sets...

1 hour ago, AMB said:

They have a HUGE problem - loss of customer confidence and lack of innovation.

I suspect they know they can't compete with some of the other manufacturers in traditional scales.

In truck modelling, they're the go to, the 1:35 Torpedo Boats etc too. Plus the large scale cars (be it reissues from Protar or their own kits) seem to go down well.

3 hours ago, IT_Man said:

We actually have some detail of what is included at least now. Seems a bit of a strange mix (F-104, F-35, Tornado and Mirage), and would imagine all are seated pilots on that basis. 

I'd been hoping for a few ground crew, as per various ICM sets...

I think you'll find this set will be a copy of their 1/72nd scale set, just up-scaled, and it's advertised as " NATO PILOTS AND GROUND CREW" . Possibly just one seated pilot and the rest standing or climbing up aircraft ladders.

Second the motion:  If you don´t like what you see, skip and let others celebrate the Italeri announcement today.  This party is for those who like Italeri kits, know the brand and waited for their 2023 catalogue. 

Very happy to see the Folgore in 1/32, AMX in 1/72 and many good reissues, and yes, I can live with raised panel lines, late release dates and inaccuracies, because I have 40+ years in this hobby.  Italeri has a strong audience and it is not aimed at Tamiya/Eduard fan audience.  In fact two VERY different audiences.  It is like complaining at Atlantis for releasing old reissues from other manufacturers, and not Tamiya-like kits.  Don't spoil the celebration.

Have empathy and know there is an audience who like Airfix, Revell AG, KP/AZ, Heller and Italeri kits...and their issues. 

• Like 1

Interesting and refreshing (in a way) to read of the disappointment with Italeri. I've never been a big fan, though I like some of their figure sets. The last 'new' kit I bought was their Stirling, and my most recent purchase their Blackbird - both languishing in the stash. Italeri have never offered much to tempt me by subject matter hence my low expectation of them. Their kits are fair (the ones I've built), they don't pull up any trees but they're OK. I should really have a good look through their range to see if I should re-evaluate the level of esteem that I have (or not) for their product.

I see they list 2 Tornado pilots in the NATO pilots and aircrew set, if they do appear, but with them doing GR4, IDS and ECR versions, unless they’ve got different heads, the helmets would only suit a certain type.

I would have thought that they’d pick the Italian/German pilots? The Tamiya boxing of the Italeri GR4 does have the RAF helmeted pilots.

8 hours ago, AMB said:

I think you'll find this set will be a copy of their 1/72nd scale set, just up-scaled, and it's advertised as " NATO PILOTS AND GROUND CREW" . Possibly just one seated pilot and the rest standing or climbing up aircraft ladders.

The set has been renamed to "NATO Pilots" in the preview, and lists the contents as the six pilots. I'd suggest that mixing too much between sitting/standing would affect the product (I.e I might only want the F-35 pilot if it was seated, not climbing a ladder etc)

in any case, "upscaling" figures isn't a simple exercise as each pose has its own master sculpted with a level of detail as appropriate. They could use the 30+ year old ESCI set as inspiration but that's as far as it would go. I'd imagine these will be multi-part figures, so that would be considered too

7 hours ago, JFM148 said:

Second the motion:  If you don´t like what you see, skip and let others celebrate the Italeri announcement today.  This party is for those who like Italeri kits, know the brand and waited for their 2023 catalogue. 

So you're saying that people who are not happy with their releases have no place in the thread ? Strange, I don't see that in the rules of the forum...

7 hours ago, JFM148 said:

Italeri has a strong audience and it is not aimed at Tamiya/Eduard fan audience.  In fact two VERY different audiences.  It is like complaining at Atlantis for releasing old reissues from other manufacturers, and not Tamiya-like kits.  Don't spoil the celebration.

Maybe, but where did Italeri ever state that they are aiming at a different audience ? Reading all their marketing materials they claim to be able to satisfy the most demanding modellers... Of course, marketing material means little... so let's look at their pricing, afterall if someone asks me for the same money as a well respected brand I'd expect similar quality. So, looking at Italian market prices here, where in theory Italeri could have an advantage, should I buy the 1/72 Italeri Spitfire IX for €12 or the Eduard one for €13 ? Is the €1 difference the proof that Italeri want to position themselves on a different market ??? No, they try to sell at the same market, simply they do it with the product they've had in house for years (and in this case not a very good one). Their advantage is that, at least in Italy, their presence in the shops is much better than Eduard's.

You can't compare Italeri to Atlantis, the latter is focused on old kits by choice, they have found their niche and they stick to it. Italeri is like Revell, a mainstream producer that sells kit to a market as wide as possible. They don't rebox old kits to make a small niche happy, they rebox old kits to add "news" to their catalogue without having to invest in new tools, same as Revell or Hasegawa or many others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:49 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I'm not a lawyer but this piece of paper suggest another owner of insignias: https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2012/09/25/012G0183/sg/

This document states that a company named "Difesa Servizi SPA" has the rights, but Difesa Servizi (that while nominally private is actually a state owned company) is tasked with generating value from military owned assets so part of their job is get paid by private companies who want to use official military symbols on their products.

For this reason, the Italian Air Force roundel, badges and other symbols are licensed from Difesa Servizi to a number of companies, the list of which can be found on their website:

https://www.difesaservizi.it/brand/licenziatari-brand-aeronautica-militare

The page is in Italian, however you can see that Italeri is clearly named as a licensee for the cathegory "modellismo" (model kits)

Considering however that plenty of other companies offer their kits in Italian markings, I've often been very skeptical of the whole thing... It could be that the license is not exclusive for some reason (could for example be only valid for Italy) or maybe Italeri and Difesa Servizi do not work hard at protecting the value of the license. Or maybe these other companies pay a fee... not knowing the full content of the agreement it's hard to tell what the truth really is. In any case Italeri is stated by Difesa Servizi as a licensee and in any case, whatever the reason, kits with Italian markings keep appearing from other companies

P.S. Since most here don't know, it may be worth adding that the Gazzetta Ufficiale is the official journal where all pieces of legislation are published in Italy. Any law becomes valid after the publication on this.

• Thanks 2

Disappointed to see just a rerelease of the Merlin TTI Italian Navy Utility aircraft. The CSAR Italian Ceaser variant appeers to have been dropped without releases. Still no attempt to do Italian Navy ASW or AEW variant and missed oppertunity to do the Ryal Navy Crows Nest with a possible ASW re-issue or the HC4 Commado variant both of which would go nicely with thier F-35B kit

• Like 1