Converting a 1:48 Hasegawa Seaking to a British version

ElectroSoldier

Ill put this here as many of the schemes I would like to do are post cold war.

So I have some Hasegawa Seaking kits and the Model Allience MA-48103 decal sheet I would like to put them together.

What is the most basic conversion that is needed to turn the kit as supplied into a British version? Any British version.

I know Flightpath do some conversions for it but they are out of stock and out of production now (ironic as the kit they as designed for is now back on general release)

For instance would the HAR.3 be pretty basic?

In addition to the standard SH-3H kit what needs to be done to their AEW.2A kit?
Ive looked in the box and I saw the radome, is that the inflated version? If so would that only look like that in flight?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ill put this here as many of the schemes I would like to do are post cold war.

So I have some Hasegawa Seaking kits and the Model Allience MA-48103 decal sheet I would like to put them together.

What is the most basic conversion that is needed to turn the kit as supplied into a British version? Any British version.

I know Flightpath do some conversions for it but they are out of stock and out of production now (ironic as the kit they as designed for is now back on general release)

For instance would the HAR.3 be pretty basic?

In addition to the standard SH-3H kit what needs to be done to their AEW.2A kit?
Ive looked in the box and I saw the radome, is that the inflated version? If so would that only look like that in flight?

The AEW.2A would have had the radome deflated while on the ground.

Quickboost do a replacement

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quickboost-qb-48-600-sikorsky-sea-king-aew-radar-cover--322768 

8 hours ago, DJPFlightpath said:

That is because newer versions of all the sets are returning later in the year.

DJP/Flightpath

Well that is nice to hear. I think I shall put this on hold until then then.
Will you be doing the same four subjects but as a new set?

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, the basic SH-3D kit needs a lot of extra parts to be a Westland Sea King. The Flightpath conversion provides some of those parts. 

First, the "generic" conversion, required to make the basic Westland Sea King:

• Composite main rotor blade (fitted from the late 80s)
  • 6 bladed tail rotor
  • Shorter tailplane (without bracing strut)
  • Port and upper cowling
  • Various antennae
  • Sponsons
  • Third generator bulge on port upper deck
  • Pilot seats
  • Sand box/filter

Then, variant specific (depending on version)

• Radome
  • FLIR
  • Sonar sonar well cover
  • Fuel fillers
  • Windows
  • Instrument panel
  • Radar console

Your best option is to get hold of one of the Hasegawa kits that is for the British Sea King (or includes the extra parts).

• Like 2

On 17/01/2023 at 18:05, ElectroSoldier said:

Well that is nice to hear. I think I shall put this on hold until then then.
Will you be doing the same four subjects but as a new set?

Yes most probably - but we'll see how it all shakes down.

DJP/Flightpath

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Unfortunately, the basic SH-3D kit needs a lot of extra parts to be a Westland Sea King. The Flightpath conversion provides some of those parts. 

First, the "generic" conversion, required to make the basic Westland Sea King:

• Composite main rotor blade (fitted from the late 80s)
  • 6 bladed tail rotor
  • Shorter tailplane (without bracing strut)
  • Port and upper cowling
  • Various antennae
  • Sponsons
  • Third generator bulge on port upper deck
  • Pilot seats
  • Sand box/filter

Then, variant specific (depending on version)

• Radome
  • FLIR
  • Sonar sonar well cover
  • Fuel fillers
  • Windows
  • Instrument panel
  • Radar console

Your best option is to get hold of one of the Hasegawa kits that is for the British Sea King (or includes the extra parts).

I think the Flightpath conversion sets include most of those dont they?

1 hour ago, Whitewolf said:

Hasegawa already do a 1/48 Seaking HAR 3 in RAF colours, plus the AEW version.

They did a limited run edition of a HAR.3 which Im having trouble tracking down.

I have the AEW.2A version of the kit and several SH-3H boxings of it too, which I would like to use as a basis for a conversion from an American to a British version.

I dont know what versions of the kit I can use to make a British version.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

If you take a look at the Kit Research pages on Modelling Madness website, you'll find a list of the Hasegawa kits with a list of the sprues contained in each kit, together with a cross reference of what parts are on each sprue. The British specific parts are mostly on sprues W, X &  Y

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

15 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

If you take a look at the Kit Research pages on Modelling Madness website, you'll find a list of the Hasegawa kits with a list of the sprues contained in each kit, together with a cross reference of what parts are on each sprue. The British specific parts are mostly on sprues W, X &  Y

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48e.htm

Interesting page over all thank you for that.

So the only kits that contain the parts needed are the kits that actually build up into the version you want to build.

Typical Hasegawa really.

I wonder if Flightpaths conversions will allow a conversion from the SH-3H kit to a British version.
I know their PE air filter box is rather nice bit of kit once made.
I guess only time will tell.

9 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Interesting page over all thank you for that.

So the only kits that contain the parts needed are the kits that actually build up into the version you want to build.

Typical Hasegawa really.

I wonder if Flightpaths conversions will allow a conversion from the SH-3H kit to a British version.
I know their PE air filter box is rather nice bit of kit once made.
I guess only time will tell.

Yes they will - sorry I thought we were only talking about the UK Westland versions. At the very least there will be HAR3, AEW2, HC4 anbd HAS5/6 sets from us. As has been said, we already do the Air Filter and a generic set for the Hasegawa kit as supplied.

DJP

2 hours ago, DJPFlightpath said:

Yes they will - sorry I thought we were only talking about the UK Westland versions. At the very least there will be HAR3, AEW2, HC4 anbd HAS5/6 sets from us. As has been said, we already do the Air Filter and a generic set for the Hasegawa kit as supplied.

DJP

Well Im wanting to make the nine versions on the Model Alliance MA-48103 decal sheet.
So far all but the AEW.2 will use the SH-3H kit as the starting point., because I have the AEW.2 kit.

Ive looked at the old conversions and they look like what Im wanting. 

• 2 weeks later...

No idea whether you can still get hold of them, but Hasegawa did release a boxing “HAR5 Ark Royal”.  Ignoring the fact that there was no such thing as a HAR5, they did contain enough to make a reasonable attempt at a Westland machine (e.g. different vents on top of the engine bays, ESM bumps, aerials, Sea Searcher radome).  There are lots of detailed changes needed, though - depends on how accurate you want it to be!  This might help if you’re interested

On 1/20/2023 at 8:06 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

Well Im wanting to make the nine versions on the Model Alliance MA-48103 decal sheet.
So far all but the AEW.2 will use the SH-3H kit as the starting point., because I have the AEW.2 kit.

Ive looked at the old conversions and they look like what Im wanting. 

WoW! .... ElectroSoldier I think I might have found someone even more obsessed with RAF/RN Seakings than I am. 9 versions ! There was me feeling a bit shy to admit that I plan to build 5.

So................ you have turned a long time Britmodeller lurker into a first time forum poster.

Now I really must post a hello on the "new members" forum.

--

Short answer to your question:

If the Flightpath conversion sets are due for re-release (Thanks for the update DJP),

I would strongly recommend that you wait, the flightpath kits are very good and from what you have said about your plans, perfect for what you are trying to achieve.

--

Longer answer:

I currently have a 1/48 scale HC4 under construction using the standard Hasegawa SH-3H kit and the Airwaves conversion set.

(maybe I should be brave and start a work in progress post...... see what you have started now?)

Top of the stash pile and waiting to be built

1-Har 3 RAF version using the Hasegawa SH-3H and the Flightpath conversion kit, the plan is a yellow SAR 22 Sqn version

2- The limited edition Hasegawa "Ark Royal" version

3- The airwaves Sponsons, radome and tail rotor sets (bought separately) combined with a Hasegawa SH-3H to build the Heli Operations UK Has 5 .......(The Model Alliance decal sheet is addictive isn't it?)

4- A "Grey Whale" Falklands 202 Sqn Har 3 - Limited edition Hasegawa set

I haven't decided exactly where to spread out the PE I have from the Airwaves and Eduard detail sets I bought but they are definitely added details NOT conversion sets.

I would strongly recommend the Flightpath kit. You get a great deal more for your money than just the Westland 6 blade tail rotor and sponsons, the kit is packed with PE parts.

The limited edition Hasegawa sets for the RAF and RN versions are very difficult to find and because of their rarity (IMO) very overpriced.

The Limited edition Hasegawa Falklands Har 3 was expensive even when it was jsut released, but as childhood obsession of mine, I bought one long before my modelling skills could justify it. It has been waiting patiently for my skill level to catch up and justify cutting the plastic!

My "Ark Royal" kit was bought second hand last year with a little bit of initial work started by the previous owner. It was not cheap even in that condition.

On the whole the I am not a huge fan of resin or white metal but the Flightpath kit parts are very good and (even for a novice like me) have proven easy to use.

Since you already have several of the SH-3H kits the new Flightpath releases should cover all your needs. The instructions for the Flightpath conversion kit covers all versions (HAR.3, AEW.2, HC.4, HAS.6) so although I only have the Har 3 version I can see what the other versions offer.

Even if you didn't have several Hasegawa SH-3H kits, I think I would still recommend the Flightpath conversion option since, for current asking the price of the rare limited edition versions, you could probably obtain the SH-3H kit AND the Flightpath kit and still have some left over change. That way you also get all that lovely PE detail stuff in the Flightpath kit. The Airwaves and Eduard PE detail sets are very good but offer very little that isn't already included in the Flightpath conversion set. The airwaves PE "general Exterior detail" set (48-104) does offer a tail fold join assembly that isn't part of the Flightpath set but other than that Flightpath has you covered.

The re-released Airwaves etched set (48-048) available from Hannants does give you some grills not included in the Flightpath kit but don't use the big central grill they include for the top of the engine cowling, that is a Sikorsky thing and not seen on the Westland machines.

Airwaves used to offer several conversion options but I haven't seen any of them available for a long time.

The Airwaves PE detailing sets have recently been re-released by Hannants but that won't help you with the fundamental conversion. Airwaves used to offer full conversion packages but also single items of:

a-6 bladed tail rotor in resin- a nice rendition but fragile and my example was broken in the post (the Flightpath tail rotor in contrast is white metal)

b-short RAF/RN sponsons in resin - they are ok, and can be made to look the part in 1/48 but (having placed them both side by side) I personally believe that the Flightpath offerings are a more accurate representation so you are not missing out by choosing Flightpath

c-troop door in resin - definitely makes opening up the huge empty Hasegawa fuselage easier but the door is just a big rectangle and not to difficult to scratch build. You will have to scratch build the interior anyway.

d- Har.3 and Has.5 radomes as single items (simple, appropriately shaped lumps of resin)

e- sand filter - a solid resin block with PE filters added for detail which does look the part when assembled

The Flightpath sand filter is created by folding PE into a box and adding the filters, I haven't personally seen one but my experience of Flightpath PE quality is such that I would feel safe to assume that it is good.

There are other options in 1/48 but I don't have any personal experience of them and I have no idea about availability. I don't see why you would choose them if the Flightpath set is being re-released soon:

Belcher Bits offer a CH124 (Canadian version) Sponsons and Radome set that would work for the RAF Har 3 version.

Cutting Edge Modelworks offer a "short sponsons & Radomes" set that has a set of sponsons for a single aircraft but includes 2 versions of the radome so you have both the Har.3 and Has.5 versions covered.

DF HeloStuff offer a Mk.41 Exterior Detail set that has a Mk.41 radome, with sponsons, a sand filter, a troop door and bubble cabin windows that would work for a Har.3.

I haven't been tempted by the AEW version (yet). The Flightpath AEW conversion set includes a deflated radome so you shouldn't need to look at the Quickboost or Rotor craft offerings but both are currently available from Hannants.

I hope that helps.

Feel free to reach out if you want any more specific details or references.

• Like 2

You have no idea how good it makes this old Sea King pilot feel to find this discussion filed under Aircraft > Modern.  All the airframes I flew are in museums (or in one extreme case turned into a Glamping Pod), but who am I to question Britmodeller?

Modern it is!

• Haha 5

On 2/9/2023 at 1:14 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You have no idea how good it makes this old Sea King pilot feel to find this discussion filed under Aircraft > Modern.  All the airframes I flew are in museums (or in one extreme case turned into a Glamping Pod), but who am I to question Britmodeller?

Modern it is!

They soldiered on through the cold war and on into the modern era thats why I thought to put it here.

The project has stalled until Flightpath release their new Seaking conversions.

I dont mind, they will release them in the end. It took me about 10 years to get hold of a couple of Pave Low III conversions, 10 months will be a walk in the park :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@ElectroSoldier YOU might be able to wait but I am not sure I can. I finally find someone with more Seakings in their stash than I have and now I have to wait to see them?

Promise not to forget us!

10 months or 10 years from now.... I expect you back here in the MODERN aircraft section to show off your collection.

If for no other reason than to make @Ex-FAAWAFU feel young.

As an aside.... anything I have actually seen flying in active service during my lifetime counts as "modern" in my books.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. I've been given a built 1 48 SAR Seaking but it's been built with its rotors folded. I want it with them out. Does anyone know where I can buy a main rotor set with head and cap please that i can build in the ready to go pose? Thanks, Karl.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2023 at 7:22 AM, DJPFlightpath said:

DJP

Were you aware that Airfix would be releasing a new tool Seaking? :) 

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Were you aware that Airfix would be releasing a new tool Seaking? :) 

Well only for a short while. Obviously our sets are specifically for the Hasegawa/Revell kits [which has also just been re-released]. We might do more limited stuff for the Airfix kits but obviously that's a whole different thing. Depends what can be improved on I guess!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DJPFlightpath said:

Well only for a short while. Obviously our sets are specifically for the Hasegawa/Revell kits [which has also just been re-released]. We might do more limited stuff for the Airfix kits but obviously that's a whole different thing. Depends what can be improved on I guess!

Well in spite of the new Airfix kit I still have 8+1 of these things needing conversions, as Im sure many others do.
So I cant wait :) 

Edited by ElectroSoldier

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 12:09 PM, DJPFlightpath said:

David - the new Airfix kit is very good (WIP of an HAS1 elsewhere on BM, if you are interested), but there are certainly areas that could be very fruitful for after market.  Off the top of my head…

Blade fold stuff (“Forth Road Bridge” and/or tip socks etc)

Weapons & weapon carriers, both early (Mk.44 version) and late (Mk.46 & Stingray), plus the Special Weapon, if you’re feeling brave

Detailing inside: Airfix's interior is really good, but there’s still plenty of scope: sonobuoy racks, SAR equipment (stretcher et al), and so on.

Intake blanks, RBV tags

Above all, proper RN 5-point harnesses - even after-market (e.g. for the Airfix Lynx) usually get this wrong and have only 4 points.

[Happy to discuss further; PM me if you are interested]

On 24/05/2023 at 19:12, karlslawrence said:

Hi guys. I've been given a built 1 48 SAR Seaking but it's been built with its rotors folded. I want it with them out. Does anyone know where I can buy a main rotor set with head and cap please that i can build in the ready to go pose? Thanks, Karl.

Hi Karl. planning to buy a couple of the new Airfix 1/48 Seakings soon, they come with options for folded and spalyed rotors, will be building one with rotors folded and one stowed, if there are free parts can send them to you, might need a bit of bodging though, perhaps you could send me your folded rotors in exchange, just an idea for near future.

3 hours ago, One 48 said:

Hi Karl. planning to buy a couple of the new Airfix 1/48 Seakings soon, they come with options for folded and spalyed rotors, will be building one with rotors folded and one stowed, if there are free parts can send them to you, might need a bit of bodging though, perhaps you could send me your folded rotors in exchange, just an idea for near future.

I’ve probably got a spare Hasegawa spread rotor head somewhere.  Let me know if you’d like me to look it out,

• Like 1