Hasegawa 1/48 F-4G Phantom Wild Weasel - Spangdahlem 1985

After about six months, I've finally completed my 1/48 scale Hasegawa F-4G Phantom "Wild Weasel". The kit itself was fine (other than the mysterious missing RWR), but I had primer related problems, or masking tape problems, or paint problems. Either way, I spent far more time scraping and reapplying paint than I'd have liked to.

I wanted to do a Spangdahlem bird with shark-mouth, so decals came from Milspec (sheet 48-007), paints were Hataka (first time using them), a few bits came from my Eduard/Academy F-4, and I splashed out on a more correct AN/ALQ-131 from Eduard to replace the AN/ALQ-119 supplied in the kit. @Mark V provided some good information about colour schemes and likely load-outs  - hence it's carrying a single dummy HARM missile (admittedly with fins), drop tanks, and an empty TER on the starboard inner pylon. Thanks also to @bar side, who was tackling the same aircraft at the same time and provided a lot of inspiration/information.

Over-all, I'm mostly happy how it turned out. There are a few issues - the cockpit glazing's a bit wonky (could have done with the one-part canopy version), I messed up the starboard shark-mouth, and the tyres could be sanded/flattened so that both nose-wheels touch the ground. There are a few places where you can see I've had paint issues. However, the Hasegawa kit has held up well for its age and I'd happily build another one.

Build Thread Here

The photos are taken in my new light box, using a Sony A5100 with a 55mm prime lens. Still getting the hang of this serious-photography-with-an-actual-camera lark...

y4mcFndjii34XKhtuz9dg2wUiT5cjr1XFkrihQ8g

y4m7eqTWuT2vpYr9MKp7s7wjjEVMNrabPTfJtmxe

y4mx3E96uMoisekMo-G0PL6k2Y4qVdhILWbpdOrL

y4mltAwWJexa75lJRF1nE9MiqgGEQAm2pGAl2Gwj

y4mFZ6F5utILIEC6PiKYS8kmpJ_zBjDsLenFQV92

y4mruiiNExzqeVGwZfJ9rAbRGf_t5TuSF6rG-C5r

y4mDiss4GWWhVXUkTjdZ6ReqGpMzQSl3V4VQC8Mo

y4mKwWwNxodsCjgmbNTmCmXiulMkwHRQ5FBxHpWt

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

I was stationed at Spangdahlem when this bird was active with the 81st Fighter Squadron and I must have launched and recovered her at least a few times. Your model represents very nicely the airplane. Congratulations.

• Like 1

Looking good!  I too will likely use the Hataka paints when I build mine.  They look really good on your jet.  

Yes, those Hasegawa canopies are really hard to align in a closed configuration.  Posing them open isn't easy either because the attachment points are tiny and getting the angle correct is always a guess for me.  

Thanks for posting.

• Like 2