Italeri 1:48 Saab Gripen Czech Tiger 9237

Hi fellow modellers 

Here I present italeri’s 1:48 JAS 39 Gripen (2638) in Czech Air Force Tiger Markings 

Well I started this kit sometime back in 2019/2020 and very nearly had it finished but had a disaster when I noticed the paint had cracked mainly on both upper wings (1st picture) so it has sat on my shelf of doom ever since. I decided that I wanted to get it rectified and finished so back on the bench it went at the start of the new year and after sanding both upper wings back to plastic then re-spraying and painting up the rest of the parts that wasn’t finished when I started this kit.
I certainly can’t say I enjoyed this build but I do like to challenge myself which doesn’t always pay off but hay-ho that’s modelling I suppose.

not my best build by a long way 

the tiger markings on the fuel tanks came from a couple of model alliance decals arctic tigers sheets intended for use on F-18’s so these are not technically correct.

aftermarket used .

CMK resin Cockpit including FOD guards (4148)

Maestro Models conversions resin fuel tanks (K4806)

Maestro models photo etched Ladder (MMP4806)

Model-CZ decals (MCZA4807)

Paints used 

MR hobby aqueous and Tamiya Acrylics 

thanks for looking 

happy modelling 

Saab gripen

Saab Gripen

Saab Gripen

Saab Gripen

Saab Gripen

Saab Gripen

Saab Gripen

Saab Gripen

Edited by Spitfire madman
  • Like 29

There are only three things that pry me away from WWII kits, IdolMaster kits, Vietnam birds I flew in, and Tiger Meet kits.  You have a very nice Tiger Meet aircraft there.  You really have to keep the weathering down on these types of aircraft as the paint job is so fresh and the use has been so minimal.  I like the amount of weathering you did to just enhance some of the panel lines, but not too dark and not for the entire amount of the panel.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1