Zvezda's Boeing 787-8 in Thomson TUI livery

I got Zvezda's 1/144 scale Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner kit for my birthday. A contemporary airliner was actually a refreshing change to my fleet of passenger plane models from the 60s and 70s.

The kit was excellent to build and the parts were very detailed. There were no problems in assembling the model, and the it was nearly a shake and bake experience. The engines in particular were like kits of their own.

On the other hand, the painting of the model was quite a challenge. Thomson TUI's livery is very impressive, but quite difficult to paint. First I sprayed the body and wings with white Tamiya Fine Surface Primer and then with clear gloss varnish from Tamiya's rattle can. Then a more difficult phase followed. I sprayed the blue areas of the upper part of the body with Revell paints númbers 50 and 53 and the sky blue tail with Humbrol paint number 47. I masked the wavy color borders with insulating tape, which was very sticky and flexible, so the color borders became sharp.

I bought the Thomson TUI decals from the aftermarket. They were from SKYline decals and very detailed. With the decal set you also got a set of photoetches, such as antennas, pitot tubes, etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 35

1 minute ago, MRMRL said:

That's really nice, the scheme looks great, I hope you're pleased you persevered with it, it really stands out

Thank you very much. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome.

Einar

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That is very, very nice. One of the best renditions of that scheme I have seen. 

Thank you very much!

Einar 

Very neat Dreamliner Einar.

I very much like the TUI wavy scheme but stayed away from doing it because of its difficulty to achieve a symetrical paintjob.

You nailed it to perfection.

Might be tempted to try and do a 757 in that livery now...😊

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Very neat Dreamliner Einar.

I very much like the TUI wavy scheme but stayed away from doing it because of its difficulty to achieve a symetrical paintjob.

You nailed it to perfection.

Might be tempted to try and do a 757 in that livery now...😊

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thank you Alex!

Einar

1 hour ago, phildagreek said:

Nice!

Thanks!

Einar

2 minutes ago, luxskater said:

Must have been a tough job doing those curves! Well done!

Thanks! You're quit right. Quite a challenge but with careful planning it was achievable.

Einar 

Looks superb - congrats on the paint scheme, that can’t have been easy!

I fly the 787, and so have looked at this kit a few times. How did it go together? Did you do a WIP thread, can’t seem to see one if so?