Joe 90 Mac's car [Finished!]

I've had this kit in the stash for many many years and every so often I take it out, look at it, shake my head and put it back. This time I nodded my head...

DSC_6996.JPG?m=1673635326

Its not a complex kit but it does come with the usual toy-like features such as spring loaded missiles which I will of course be leaving off.

DSC_6997.JPG?m=1673635330

The instructions are in Japanese of course but an extra page has been included with English translations of SOME of the text

DSC_6999.JPG?m=1673635332

DSC_7000.JPG?m=1673635330

Progress so far has been pretty much sanding mould lines and flash! More to come!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 16

:popcorn: ooh this looks interesting… I shall pull up a seat and watch. I’ve got Dinky, Konami, and Vivid Imaginations diecast versions but have never managed to get my hands on a (reasonably priced) one of these. I’ve also never quite understood why Imai always seemed to sacrifice accuracy for some rather lame play features…

• Like 2

My only problem with the show is that Joe’s Dad should’ve been banged up for child exploitation. I’m guessing that Mac got away with that by crediting himself as Joe’s manager so was Joe paid for risking life and limb or was he not of an age to be paid a wage.

Also and this is the biggie.

What happened to the other 89 Joes?

I smell a rat!

• Haha 7

The build has been progressing but this is not an easy kit! Bad moulding, poor fit, sink marks, the usual problems with old kits. One of the major issues is the front wheels. The axles are composed of a complex structure but the joint surfaces are really bad

DSC_7005.JPG?m=1674388795

This next pic shows what I mean, the top one is assembled OOB and you can see the ill fitting joint. The lower one is after the first round of sanding...

DSC_7006.JPG?m=1674388798

and then this final one is after filling, more sanding and attaching the extra details. 

DSC_7009.JPG?m=1674388802

The legs are supposed to be foldable, but as far as I can see this won't work. I tried a test fit of the legs onto the body and founda  major problem - to fit it as described in the instructions and the body does not sit level

DSC_7001.JPG?m=1674388860

The reason being their is this tall pillar that the axle is supposed to attach to via a screw to provide a 'steering' mechanism.

DSC_7002.JPG?m=1674388866

Well since this is not going to be a toy, I don't need steering so this has been removed as it will be glued when attached. The legs are also too legs so they will get glued at the correct angles when the wheels are on and the paint is done. In other news, the cockpit and engine have had some work

DSC_7004.JPG?m=1674388817

You can see on the engine, the awful joint line, this needed a LOT of sanding and filling, and the trickiest bits where around the ribbing... but it eventually got done and then primed with Alclad gloss black ready for a metallic finish

DSC_7008.JPG?m=1674388818

The figures for Joe and Mac are basic but at least Mac has his glasses! It all painted up pretty well, the faces are not works of art though :) Since this pic was taken, the steering wheel and arms have been repositioned to fit better.

DSC_7007.JPG?m=1674388842

The upper body has had more work and the transparencies glued in place. These did not fit well so a lot of Glue n Glaze was used to fill gaps and make sure they are firmly attached. 

DSC_7010.JPG?m=1674388863

What you can also see here at the front behind the headlights which have had filler applied to smooth the joint, is the place where brackets were located to support the sprint loaded missiles which have been removed. You can also see in the middle the lever merchanism that is used to release the spring loaded wings and also raise the back legs. I am putting this in even if its is a bit toy-like...

Since these pics were taken, the two halves have been joined which needed an enormous sanding job to clean up the joint. The cockpit has been inserted and the windows masked in preparation for priming.

I've also managed to get a nice colour mix for the body which is a bluey green colour as far as I can tell from screenshots of the original model, so I mixed up some Tamiya XF-5 with about 20% XF-8 blue which gives what to my eye looks to be a good colour. I'll probably be wrong and have to correct it later, thats what usually happens :D

• Like 7

So paint has gone on and here are the results - the green is a mix of Tamiya XF-5 and about 10% XF-8 to give it a blue tinge

DSC_7011.JPG?m=1675029046

Silver is Mr Metal Color Aluminum. The green has some variation but I will even that up later with a coat of Klear and matt varnish. I'm hoping the window masking holds up well!

DSC_7012.JPG?m=1675028952

Some other bits that will be attached later

DSC_7013.JPG?m=1675028950

The engine has been sprayed with Alclad Aluminium. Finally the lat major piece of work, the front axles ready for Alclad top coat

DSC_7015.JPG?m=1675028951

Being able to give this a matt varnish without messing up the aluminium will be a bit of a challenge I think!

• Like 7

On 1/15/2023 at 10:28 PM, Theb said:

What happened to the other 89 Joes?

I smell a rat!

A B.I.G R.A.T ???

(I'll see myself out)

There weren't 89 Joes, there were 89 WIN Secret Agents. Joe was the 90th Secret Agent based in London to join the agency

Edited by Aku
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well its finished and its turned out reasonably well. For such an old and frankly rubbish kit, the end result looks okay:

DSC_7051.JPG?m=1675949154

I'm pleased to say the window masking worked and you can see Joe and Mac inside the cockpit reasonably well. There is a major problem with this model as illustrated in the next pic

DSC_7053.JPG?m=1675949149

That lever at the back of the car is supposed to be the release mechanism for the wings and when you push it foward it releases the wings that spring out. At the same time there is a little hook underneatht hat is supposed to rotate the rear wheels into the retracted position. Sadly when you put the car down, the weight of the car tries to push the rear wheel backward and the lever at the back just lifts up a bit, allowing the legs to slump a little. Ideally, this level needs something to restrain its vertical movement but I'm wary of trying to modify it now its all painted up :(

Never mind eh? More pics

DSC_7055.JPG?m=1675949150

Almost forgot to put that white node detail on until right at the end! There is no guidance in the instructions on what the exact shape and size should be and very poor references out there. Looking at it front on like this shows its a little crooked even though I tried to mirror the masking tape on either side - sigh. The front legs are now glues in place even though they are designed to fold up, but the mechanism is so bad and so loose it won't support the weight of the car on its own.

DSC_7052.JPG?m=1675949157

I haven't weathered it at all since I wasn't sure how best to do it and there model on the TV never seemed to be very dirty. Wings out next!

DSC_7056.JPG?m=1675949153

And here we see the major problem with the front wheels - because they are glued they don't fold away when in flight mode

DSC_7057.JPG?m=1675949154

DSC_7058.JPG?m=1675949158

So thats it! This model isn't going to win any competitions, but I'm glad I finally got round to building it!

• Like 11

That looks the business. As with the Shadomobile, entry and exit looks a little awkward. But we'll not mention that, eh?

It's Anderson. And that's what counts. What's up next then? Something Scarlet perhaps?

• Thanks 1

• Kallisti changed the title to Joe 90 Mac's car [Finished!]