Help with Alclad gloss black base (paint running)

Flyboy3394

I use Alclad gloss black base as my base for their chrome. Generally it works quite well for me. This time I got an interesting phenomenom I am unfamilair with. 

I sprayed pretty heavily and while the gloss came out, it did create a channel in some of the parts/panel lines (see photos attached):

The obvious spots are in the vent areas (lower portion of part, red color).

https://imgur.com/a/uTckMQm

My question is whether I can spray a light coat over these parts (there are... many) to fill in those gaps and ensure full chrome coverage? Or do I spray the chrome and deal with the tiny gaps as is? spacer.png

A light coat should fill in the gaps well enough, you'll just have to hit the median between light and shiny.  Sometimes it's an idea to put a pre-coat of grey primer to reduce the surface tension pulling the paint away from the edges.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:31 PM, Mike said:

A light coat should fill in the gaps well enough, you'll just have to hit the median between light and shiny.  Sometimes it's an idea to put a pre-coat of grey primer to reduce the surface tension pulling the paint away from the edges.

Appreciate the insight! I did some tests on a spoon and you're totally right, the primer does help! The previously painted parts are touched up now so hopefully problem solved.

• Like 1