TAKOM 1/35 M46 Patton - Korean Tiger

robw_uk

Moving on to my second build of 2023 it will be the TAKOM M46 Patton in bright Korean war scheme (wary of the tiger stripes tho). The kit is the dual kit with the Jeep (sorry 1/4 tonne truck) which I will keep for late...

box and scheme

IMG-20230114-160019.jpg

IMG-20230114-155916-edit-168841506023506

• Like 6

Having to bounce around the instructions a bit. Think the cast texture needs a boost so getting some major components done first before that can happen... Unfortunately adding texture will remove the casting numbers. With Archer stopping their decals that's a price I will ha e to pay I guess (unless I don't quite do the texture where the marks are but that will probably look odd).  

IMG-20230117-173710.jpg

IMG-20230117-173656.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Rob, 

I have one of these in my stash (only the tank), and I'd really like to see how the kit goes, and how it ends up. I don't think I'll do the "Tiger camo", "I just didn't see it" on a tank...lol. As you say, it seems a bit "too rough" IMHO, but with a bit of sandpaper, it'll fix it if you're not happy...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Rob, 

I have one of these in my stash (only the tank), and I'd really like to see how the kit goes, and how it ends up. I don't think I'll do the "Tiger camo", "I just didn't see it" on a tank...lol. As you say, it seems a bit "too rough" IMHO, but with a bit of sandpaper, it'll fix it if you're not happy...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thanks Francis. So far the kit has gone together well but as you can see not a great deal of progress...

I have sanded the extra texture back a bit. Much happier now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

Lots of wheels

Downside of tanks....lots of wheels to paint.

I prefer the late WWII German tanks with steel wheels all round. 🙂

A dead compressor meant painting planned for today has to wait, so the Patton gets some more work....

Wheels done, tracks have pushout marks filled ready for sanding and rear fixtures and fittings on (plus one replacement handle after the other pinged off in  to the ether).... 

IMG-20230121-172550.jpg

IMG-20230121-172539.jpg

IMG-20230121-172527.jpg

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Rob,

What a disaster!... and a decent compressor is not excessively cheap...

I hope you can continue with the model soon.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

thanks... luckily.

1) I a due a bonus from work in this months pay packet so can afford a compressor (or at least ~£100 of compressor)

2) this kit doesn't need paint just yet so can build this while I wait....

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

New compressor (and sneaky airbrush) ordered, 

Ah.... you use the same jedi mind tricks as me..... 😉😁

well actually my original chinese AB130 is not overly usable so will turn it in to the primer/varnish mule with a new .5mm needle. The H&S is OK, needs another good clean, so added a BartSharp 186 to the mix - yes cheap but within my budget it seemd a good choice.....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

well actually my original chinese AB130 is not overly usable so will turn it in to the primer/varnish mule with a new .5mm needle. The H&S is OK, needs another good clean, so added a BartSharp 186 to the mix - yes cheap but within my budget it seemd a good choice.....

I have a H&S for detail work. The rest is all done with my timbertech airbrush. Was a complete set with compressor, 3 needle sizes etc. Big advantage is that an additional timbertech airbrush costs about €20.

The quality is really good for a reasonable price.

22 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

I have a H&S for detail work. The rest is all done with my timbertech airbrush. Was a complete set with compressor, 3 needle sizes etc. Big advantage is that an additional timbertech airbrush costs about €20.

The quality is really good for a reasonable price.

that was the reasoning behind the BartSharp..... and why the H&S needs cleaning (and possibly a new needle - which will cost more than the new A/B

• Like 1

Hi Rob, i got a new 0.2mm needle for my H&S from Amazon for £12. I do find that it is best to clean the H&S after every use, doesn't take long when you get in the habit.

I find my Bartsharp compressor is great btw.

George

• Like 2

no progress since the last update BUT have taken the plunge and ordered my first resin figure. There is a nice DEF model Korean US tanker for winter 50/51 that is perfect for this kit... may put in turret or mount standing on engine deck, will see

• Like 3