Hasegawa 1/32 FW190D-9 Oskar Romm IV/JG3, Prenzlau, March 1945 **Finished**

Stew Dapple

16 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

As I also hinted at earlier, I freehanded the pattern on these using the Hasegawa instructions as a guide. There seems to be quite a variance in the pattern itself, I suppose depending on where it was painted and when, I don't know if a pattern as soft as my freehanded effort would have been acceptable at any time or place, but the great thing is that I don't know that it wouldn't have been either and from all I've read and the correspondence I have had I feel it would be a bold individual indeed who could claim to know one way or the other :D 

It looks good to me Stew, you have obtained a nice, tight demarcation with your spraying.  Besides, with all the production problems that the Germans had at that stage of the war, precise camouflage patterns and the amount of overspray wasn't top of the list.  In 1/48th scale I tend to use paper masks held away from the surface to obtain a tight but soft edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

The camo looks great.  Very brave to paint then assemble, I’d probably have gotten away with that approach on my D12 but not on any of the others.

Thanks mate - I would certainly not have done it if the paintscheme was a bit more 'mid-war standard' but I think it was easier to paint the undersides and wings before fitting than to have to mask everything bit by bit had they been assembled :) 

13 hours ago, franky boy said:

Looking good there Stew. Nice mottling! That’s my mission for tonight. 

James 

I wish you well with that, hopefully by now you have succeeded beyond your wildest expectations :) I have found mottling to be perversely difficult in the larger scale, in 1/72 you try to make everything as small and tight as you can, and it's hard to lose that mindset if you go up a scale or two - it was for me anyway, I think this is the first time I got near what I intended in terms of the sparsity and looseness of the mottles :) 

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

It looks good to me Stew, you have obtained a nice, tight demarcation with your spraying.  Besides, with all the production problems that the Germans had at that stage of the war, precise camouflage patterns and the amount of overspray wasn't top of the list.  In 1/48th scale I tend to use paper masks held away from the surface to obtain a tight but soft edge.

Thanks very much Bob, I was hoping I'd got the demarcation within the range that was feasible (or at least not obviously infeasible :D)

Tailplanes and mainplanes fitted:

DSCN0879.jpg

... and now it looks like it's nearly finished again :D Got a bit of sanding and retouching to do along the leading edges though, then I'll get the (few) transfers on - it seems most if not all the stencilling was not replaced after the aircraft was rebuilt and repainted and that's the most welcome news I had in a while :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

... and now it looks like it's nearly finished again :D

Looking very good Stew, I's always strange to see an aircraft in colour after staring at B & W photos trying to work out what colour they are.

Looking ahead, after reading up on canopies for these late FW's, even though your aircraft has the early flat sided canopy they lacked the pulley system to keep the antenna wire taut, so your antenna wire should drape down onto the fuselage when the canopy is open. :winkgrin: 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking ahead, after reading up on canopies for these late FW's, even though your aircraft has the early flat sided canopy they lacked the pulley system to keep the antenna wire taut, so your antenna wire should drape down onto the fuselage when the canopy is open. :winkgrin: 

Thanks Bob, was going for a closed-up canopy but that's still useful intel B)  

Well that was a rollercoaster of a weekend and, spoiler alert: it ended on a down. I got the transfers applied (up):

DSCN0880.jpg

... but they silvered pretty badly on the Braunviolet areas (down):

DSCN0882.jpg

Some quick creative masking with Post-it notes and a respray:

DSCN0885.jpg

... and it worked (up):

DSCN0887.jpg

So I gave the model a coat of Citadel spray-can varnish prior to adding the last parts and sub-assemblies, and this happened (down):

DSCN0889.jpg

Well. 

Um. I mean that's quite annoying. I've used the varnish without issues before, and the paint obviously. It didn't affect all the paintwork, just the greenish-RLM76 on the fuselage and the original mix RLM 76 under the tailplanes. Both of these were applied days ago so had plenty of time to cure fully, and I've no idea what could be in an acrylic varnish (even on in an aerosol can) that would provoke such a reaction. 

Anyway what caused this to happen is rather the lesser of the problems that I face; the greater being what am I going to do about it? My instinctive reaction was that of any healthy male human which is to kill it (kill it with fire!) which may actually be the correct choice. I don't think there's any way of flattening and disguising it, or any way of stripping off the affected paint without stripping off all that paint and transfers and starting again... and I don't feel I've got the energy to do that. I'm disheartened rather than heartbroken so I think I'll put it aside for a couple of days and see if my subconscious (or the Britmodeller hive-mind) comes up with a quick and easy fix in the meantime or whether it would be a better use of my time to put this one down to experience.

Cheers,

Stew

P.S. I MEAN ARGHHHH! WHAT THE HELL?

DSCN0890.jpg

• Sad 15

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Anyway what caused this to happen is rather the lesser of the problems that I face; the greater being what am I going to do about it?

I have had this problem with acrylic varnish over enamel paints even after leaving it for some time. I expect still curing. The acrylic varnish going crinkly. I do not use enamels these days although I have been tempted by Colourcoats and looking at the superb colour work and how brilliantly they have gone down on your build reinforces what a great paint they are. Superb! Don't give up. I would grab some sanding sponges remove and respray the offending areas. Unlikely I would use chemical removal in that area. I would cut my own masks and respray the markings if you have no spares.

I am not up to date with recommended varnishes for modern enamels, maybe @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies could chime in and give his thoughts.

Keep at it, excellent build. You have all the skills to get this done and I think you will be surprised how quickly you affect the necessary repairs.

Ray

• Thanks 1

Hi Stew, sorry to see this reaction. Interesting that it's only the mixed '76 isn't it? Anyway, I suggest you step back and leave this a few days while you build something else. I think the wrinkling might settle a bit once this concoction of solvents all cooks off properly then you can re-evaluate. At any rate, you don't want to sand anything whilst it's all soft like this - but I really would wait for it all to finish doing whatever it's doing before deciding anything.

Worst case scenario I'll draw and cut you masks to replace the fuselage markings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

134637-DA-5431-4-BE8-A039-BDEE91773-D2-CI must admit I find rattlecans very hit or miss. This is what happened when I sprayed Montana black rust over Aldi silver. Would have been perfect for the Entropy GB but not a pretty sight. I ended up scraping it back to silver and repainting.

I think I’d be inclined to mask off the good paint and then gently polish off the bad paint, I’d probably see what hitting it with a heat gun might do.

Actually if the paints still tacky it might scrape off easily.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to see the reaction of the varnish on such a well built and painted model.  I agree with Jamie, leave it for at least a few days to see what happens, perhaps the model fairy will make the varnish and RLM 76 shrink down smooth.  I had much the same problem with spraying a white Vulcan, all the carefully painted air intakes reacted with the rattle can paint that I used for the rest of the airframe.  I avoided the immediate reaction of flying it  into the nearest wall and left it to settle down.  It wasn't perfect but was recoverable.

Marklo's suggestion could work but it would be very messy, and with your gut feeling to end the misery could push you into the terminal phase. (for the model)

I'd put it in a well ventilated place and leave it for it for now. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would walk away from it for a while, formulate a plan and then get the repairs done in a calm fashion, I recently had to do this on my PCM Spitfire, lots of disasters but it turned out nice in the end.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aargh! I'm so sorry to see that, Stew, it was looking superb up to then! I'm agreeing with the "put it down for a few days" crowd. It might settle some (even if you still need to touch up some areas), but you do want to be sure it's finished doing what it's doing before you try and fix it. I'm really hoping it settles with only minor corrections needed

James

• Thanks 1

Sorry to see your struggles Stew. That’s definitely a kick in the guts for build mojo. Maybe do as others have suggested and put it to one side for a week and build something else while you decide what to do. 

James

• Thanks 1

Thank you all gents for your sympathy and wise counsel :cheers: 

Clearly the smart thing for me to do was to step away from the bench and spend a couple of days in quiet contemplation before returning with a renewed sense of purpose and a cunning plan :hmmm:

I didn't do that; partly because I am an idiot anyway, but partly because... well did you ever have a toothache, and you kept poking at that tooth with your tongue to make sure it still hurt? That. That's why I did what I did.

I soaked a cotton bud in IPA and began scrubbing at the paint under the tailplanes, and the blistered paint started to come off :) I began scrubbing the fuselage sides... a handful of cotton buds later and I was here:

DSCN0891.jpg

I figured that I could get the blistered paint off but that it would be at the expense of the markings, but the Hasegawa transfers proved to be remarkably resilient against both IPA and scrubbing:

DSCN0892.jpg

Finally, I resprayed with the pre-mixed greenish RLM76 (it now seems spookily prescient that I made it in such quantities originally :D)

DSCN0895.jpg

Okay, so I am going to have to do a serious amount of retouching of the camo including doing a substantial amount of the mottling again... but you know what? I'm really happy to be able to try that, this time yesterday I thought that the kit had reached what @Retired Bob euphemistically (and rather delightfully) termed the 'terminal phase' so to have got it to a point where it's likely still a viable build feels really pretty good :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

That looks like the makings of a good recovery Stew. I don't normally follow this big scale build, but being a bit in Fw 190 mode just now I thought, heck why not, 'sides, there was nothing on the other channel. ;) :D Right up till when it wasn't going so well, it seemed to be going really well, I'll like one of my 1/72 Fw 190s to look like this one day. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

I’m really pleased that that worked out for you. Just goes to show ( and I tell myself this all the time) you have to be very careful combining different paint types and manufacturers.

Looking forward to seeing this one in the gallery. Again great save Stu.

• Thanks 1

Great recovery Stew. I like how you did not shelve it. Short break, plan of attack and then correct. These are for me the most satisfying builds and you learn new skills.

• Thanks 1

What they said - great recovery.

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I didn't do that; partly because I am an idiot anyway, but partly because... well did you ever have a toothache, and you kept poking at that tooth with your tongue to make sure it still hurt? That. That's why I did what I did.

:cwl:

• Thanks 1

What a recovery, great work! I really like the contrast between the 76s and the underside looks really fantastic. 

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

did you ever have a toothache, and you kept poking at that tooth with your tongue to make sure it still hurt? That. That's why I did what I did.

😆 Ahh yes I know this one all too well!

• Thanks 1