Hasegawa 1/32 FW190D-9 Oskar Romm IV/JG3, Prenzlau, March 1945 **Finished**

Stew Dapple

On 1/24/2023 at 7:05 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow nice work on the IP Stew

On 1/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, CedB said:

Seconded!

Thanks gents; I should reiterate that all I did was varnish the Red Fox printed IP then put some Kristal Klear in the dial faces, what you see is what Red Fox provide. Speaking of Kristal Klear in the dial faces; it worked (but sorry about the blue cast to the photo):

DSCN0728.jpg

On 1/24/2023 at 2:37 PM, 81-er said:

Very nice work there, Stew, I particularly like your painting on Oskar :)

James

Thanks James :) Wee Oskar is now finished and installed in his office:

DSCN0742.jpg

As you may notice I have glued the joystick handle to his hand, rather than gluing the base to the floor, which sort of gives the game away that I glued his arm in the wrong position... however I'm confident that as long as I keep quiet about it no-one will notice and once the fuselage is closed up and the cockpit canopy on it will be impossible to tell and in any case I will just deny everything :D 

DSCN0745.jpg

Which brings us neatly to the end of Stage 1 of the instructions. Next, in a shocking plot twist, the action gravitates to the propeller! See you there I hope :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Nice work on the pilot there, Stew. I don't think anyone will spot the stick not being glued to the floor, especailly as you haven't mentioned it anywhere

James

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 81-er said:

I don't think anyone will spot the stick not being glued to the floor, especailly as you haven't mentioned it anywhere

"I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right" - Basil Fawlty

The next stage is the propeller assembly, from what I have read in reviews and/or builds, the shape of the propeller blades are a bit of a weak spot in this kit - various resin replacements are available if you know enough to be offended by the kit's ones. I don't, but I was offended by the really big sprue connectors on the lower side of each blade which had to be carved off bit by bit - I'm guessing they're necessary to prevent sink marks at the thick base of the propeller because in my example they didn't :D However it was a small sink mark (right next to a tiny ejector pin mark) on the base of the rear face of the propeller and a quick sort of test fit indicated that it should be invisible on the completed model. I hope. 

Here are the bits in question:

DSCN0747.jpg

They fit together fine with keying points to ensure the same angle for each prop:

DSCN0749.jpg

Once they had been given time to set, the prop unit was sprayed with ACLW02 - Schwarzgrun (RLM70):

DSCN0750.jpg

Mmm happy enough with that :) As can be seen in the background I did a test fit of the fuselage halves and it bodes well in terms of fit, but quite badly in terms of seeing all - or indeed any - of that Red Fox detail. Oh well, it's still there :D 

That's the end of stage two of the instructions, the next part is the gubbins in the bay aft of the engine which can be seen through the gap in the centre of the wheelbay. There's a lot of bits so it should look pretty busy and if you wanted to superdetail it there's most likely plenty of scope for that if you know what should be there; I'll content myself with the kit bits :) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 11

Thanks Mukund :cheers: 

So there are quite a lot of parts for the back of the engine bay: lot of parts to fit into a boxy area about 3cm long:

DSCN0755.jpg

One of the above parts at the back on the right is actually two parts, but I didn't see any value in painting them separately; that bit and two other bits have already had a coat of ACLW12 - RLM Grau (RLM 02) but the fluorescent lights over my bench have bleached it to the extent you can barely tell...

I got a bit of detail painting started and masked the engine bulkhead-bit so I can spray Alclad Steel on the engine back:

DSCN0757.jpg

... and some 'paint kebabs' were made up to spray the remaining parts:

DSCN0759.jpg

I've got the day off work today so I hope to make some more progress :) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 8

Thanks Volker :cheers: 

I had quite a productive day yesterday; got the engine bits painted:

DSCN0761.jpg

... these arrived. I know the label says they're for the late A-series 190 but some of the guns are the same as per the D-9. I may be able to use the pitot as well, it's a little longer than the kit part but the tube bit/spike bit at the end is proportionally similar:

DSCN0762.jpg

I gave some of the other interior bits a coat of RLM02 while I was doing a couple of the engine bits:

DSCN0768.jpg

There are a few ejector pin marks in the wheelbays. I had a go at them with Mr Surfacer but they still vaguely show through the paint. Not enough that I'm going to do anything further about it though, it will be underneath on the finished model and I can't imagine anyone will be looking closely at it :D 

... and I assembled the engine bay bits. Everything fit where it should B) 

DSCN0765.jpg

Of course, there's a lot less to see when the covering plate will be fitted:

DSCN0767.jpg

That brings us to the end of stage 3 of the instructions, next will be fitting the various parts into the interior and closing the fuselage halves :) Seems to be going awfully quick and suspiciously smoothly :D 

I finally got a negative Covid test this morning (after 12 days!) so I'll be off with the dog to The Tinsmith in Dundee for a massive fried breakfast later :eat: This, and the resulting need for a nap afterwards, may slow progress a bit, but I hope to get some work done today :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Looking good Stew, hopefully the dog gets some breakfast as well.  I'm just doing the same with my D-9, I've painted up the visible engine bits so once I'm happy with my cockpit tub I can close up the fuselage.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jack :cheers:

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking good Stew, hopefully the dog gets some breakfast as well.  I'm just doing the same with my D-9, I've painted up the visible engine bits so once I'm happy with my cockpit tub I can close up the fuselage.

Thanks Bob, unfortunately I saw too late in your thread that the engine bay interior should almost certainly be unpainted metal; I don't think much will be visible on mine when it's done and I expect I shall get worse wrong before I'm done :) My dog Jack did indeed get a few choice morsels, the bacon fat, bit of egg white, bit of haggis and a bit of tattie scone :D It was his 13th birthday on Thursday, but that's not really my excuse for it, we have a long-standing arrangement that he lets me eat in peace and I give his tithe at the end.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Thanks Bob, unfortunately I saw too late in your thread that the engine bay interior should almost certainly be unpainted metal; I don't think much will be visible on mine when it's done and I expect I shall get worse wrong before I'm done

As your aircraft is of an early production aircraft it may well have had the interior of the engine bay painted, but as you say, not much will be visible once it's all closed up.  The Master barrels and pitot are really nice additions and can be used on your kit ok, the pitot is perhaps longer so it can be inserted further into the wing for a secure fix.  Glad Jack enjoyed his breakfast. :winkgrin: 

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, that's good enough for me :D 

I got the engine bay and cockpit installed and the two fuselage halves joined:

DSCN0773.jpg

The tape wasn't actually necessary, but I'm a great believer in the proverb "God watches over your donkey, but tie him up as well"*. Some builds of this kit I have seen attach the two tail halves to their respective fuselage halves before gluing both together, I did do a test fit both ways and I felt I got a better join with the tail section together and inserted into the closed fuselage halves,

I'm at the stage now where I need to work out what's unpainted metal, so I can get as much of possible of it sprayed before assembly. The Wheelbays, the tailwheel aperture, the lower wing and, I think, the flap interiors. On the subject of the flaps, I need to have a think around that too, as the parts as provided hang down from the wings at about 90 degrees, I have read that around 12 degress would be right for an aircraft 'at rest'. The flaps are attached by very long 'tongues' of plastic, I think if I trim them down to the nub I can set my own angle and still get a good mating surface; I am, however, acutely aware of the potential to completely mess it up :D 

Cheers,

Stew

* As a metaphor, of course, I haven't actually got a donkey so it wouldn't make sense to take it literally :D 

• Like 8

Nice progress there, Stew! Tying up donkeys, eh? I guess what a man choses to do with his donkey in the privacy of his home is not for any of the rest of us to cast aspersions about ;) 

James

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

I guess what a man choses to do with his donkey in the privacy of his home is not for any of the rest of us to cast aspersions about

"No donkeys were harmed in the making of this kit" :D 

I grasped at the nettle (@81-er please note not literally :D) and cut the large tabs off the landing flaps; a little filing and fiddling and I got them fitted:

DSCN0775.jpg

You can see how big the tabs were from the indents in the lower wing that they slot into. It would certainly have provided a firm attachment, just not at the correct angle. I attached the flaps at a much less acute angle - is it 12 degrees? I don't know to be honest, I haven't got a protractor but I did google 12 degree angle' just to get an idea of what it looked like. In any case it no longer looks as if the flaps are just hanging off the wings, so that's an improvement. I would have appreciated the option for closed flaps, but there wasn't one and from what I read although this can be done by modifying the kit parts they don't fit closed and would need yet more filing and sanding and you know, work and stuff, so I discarded that idea :D 

The parts to be represented as unpainted metal got a coat of Alclad Black Primer (as an aside, this seems to be impossible to get hold of now, which is a shame):

DSCN0777.jpg

... and in turn, a coat of Alclad Aluminium:

DSCN0779.jpg

As I had a loaded airbrush I took the opportunity to paint the bare-metal panels on the wing underside too, I applied the Alclad directly onto the unprimed plastic and it worked fine. I haven't done a NMF for a long time but my memory is that Alclad is robust enough to take this and remain maskable, so if nothing else it could prove a good test of how well my memory is holding up :D 

I'll give it a couple of days to fully cure anyway, in the meantime I can get back to the sequence of the instructions and assemble the tail unit (well, sort of, from the look of things I should be able to leave the tailwheel and tailplanes off for now to ease painting later) :) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 8

On 1/25/2023 at 3:02 PM, Stew Dapple said:

I have glued the joystick handle to his hand, rather than gluing the base to the floor

Smart. I'll have to remember that one. Excellent progress. Wee Oskar is painted up very nicely. 

Nice work there, Stew. As for Alclad, the UK producer has lost the trademark rights and rebranded as HR Hobbies https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/blog/alclad-ii-brand-splits-from-uk-producer/

I've been told that the AK Xtreme Metals range are tougher than Alclad (which I've found to be a little fragile, but the finishes are worth it). I've used their aluminium on my P-38 build and it goes on really nicely, but I haven't yet tried any heavy duty masking directly onto it to confirm if it's actually more durable or not.

James

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

(as an aside, this seems to be impossible to get hold of now, which is a shame)

Ooooh, me, miss!  Meeee!

The licence to supply them in the UK has run out; they now have a new name in this country: HR Hobbies lacquers, and they can be had from The Airbrush Company.  I bought some recently and am about to commit and use them on my Fw builds.

The build's coming on well, Stew. 

• Thanks 1