Flower class corvette, Scratch Build, 1/600 and Finished

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Flower class corvette, Scratch Build, 1/700
  • ArnoldAmbrose changed the title to Flower class corvette, Scratch Build, 1/600
25 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I had a lot of changes to make in accordance with the amendment to the rules and must have misread the tab.

Gidday, no problems, easy to do. And admittedly 1/700 is more common now than 1/600. Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff, I knew you were getting on with this, but it really hit home in the photo where you showed the hull painted! This model really has the look of a Flower-class Corvette, and you are doing a grand job with it.

The other thing I like about this (and other threads of yours) is the way you show us how you do things. My big learning point on this project is the bulwarks (aft) section where you used the masking tape to determine the shape - what a great idea that was. Thanks for showing that.

All the best with the rest of the build,

Ray

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ray S said:

The other thing I like about this (and other threads of yours) is the way you show us how you do things.

Gidday Ray, thanks for your comments. I think one of the great benefits of modeling forums is the sharing of ideas and knowledge. I've gained quite a few tips from others this way.

I try to walk a fine line between providing enough info and photos on techniques without inundating the posts with each minute step. Also I'm a bit miserly frugal miserly by nature and I try to preserve my free photos on Flickr, of which I've used about 85%. I take more photos than I post so if there is something that needs clarifying a little more then I can do so if anyone wishes. Again, thanks.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

the sharing of ideas and knowledge.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Like you, I’ve learnt a huge amount from the members of this forum, not just from looking at builds, but also from asking questions. People here are so willing and happy to share what they do and explain it.

Jon

• Like 3

Gidday All, here's another quick update of the Flower class corvette. The break-water is now fitted and the hull weather decks are now painted.

FLWR300 weather decks painted 2

For painting I use enamels, mainly Humbrol but sometimes Revell. For the record (in case I lose my notes) the steel deck is Hu79, although it looks more like Hu27 to me. The timber planking is Hu94. I've used Revell matt5 for the upper hull, and of the camo colours the bluish blue is Hu44 (1st and 3rd from the bow) and the blue/green Hu65 (2nd and 4th from the bow). The underwater anti-fouling is Hu73. The camo colours probably aren't the correct shades but they're what I had in stock. I've also painted and fitted the screw, Hu met12. I usually leave fitting the screw(s) until much later but I think it's safe enough now, protected by the hull, rudder and build block.

In the background you can see that I've also started painting the superstructures, plus the engine-room skylight (top left) and the 4-inch gun bandstand (top right).

In the foreground you can see the four Thornycroft depth charge throwers the ship will carry. These came from spares, I'd made extras when doing an earlier build. You might be able to see two holes in the main deck for the starboard throwers, just forward of the planked section and below the unpainted skylight location. Also in the foreground are some bell-shaped air-scoop ventilators of various sizes. They're mostly long and double ended for ease of handling. They'll be painted and cut to length just before fitting. This is the first time I've made these air-scoops. If someone knows their correct name please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks.

Well that's it for now. Thank you for your responses, comments and interest. Stay safe and keep on modelling. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 13

Thanks guys for your comments and interest. She's into the slow fiddly stage right now, although with me is there ever a quick stage? 🙂 All the hull and superstructure is done now, it's ship's fittings I'm now doing. I've managed to make a Hedge-hog AS mortar, but not worth a photo of it alone. I'll get a bit more done first.

And @bianfuxia, your ships at 1/700 are of an even smaller scale, but they're very good. Also @PAUL67, do you post many of your mini merchant ships? Apologies if I've missed them.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Gidday All, time for another update of the Flower class corvette. As I said in the previous post I'm into the fiddly stage, making small items. I've also made the windlass and the Hedgehog anti-submarine mortar.

Hedgehog done

It's a bit rough and a little bit overscale in it's length but it'll have to do. It has all 24 mortar bombs fitted, six rows of four bombs.

Here's where I'm up to:

FLWR310 dryfit 2

The depth charge rails at the stern, engine room skylights, casing under the funnel, lowest level of the superstructure (wheelhouse?), lockers and screen between the superstructure and gun bandstand, bandstand itself and the windlass are all fitted to the model now. The rest, including the Hedgehog launcher are just dry fitted.

On the wood block are the Thornycroft DC throwers, ventilators, the radar lantern with it's platform and office, and bollards and fairleads. The blue ventilators are those that will surround the funnel. The funnel itself, raised pompom platform, upper bridge and the hedgehog launcher are dry fitted at present.

Well that's it for now, and for a day or two I'm thinking. Last Monday I attacked a hedge creeper here at home with a chainsaw but the creeper has had it's revenge. I must have got some minute particle in my right eye (my best eye) and it's become infected. Attending a bush and car fire here today probably didn't help. With eyedrops etc I can barely see to type this post. Making small parts for the model is off the itinerary for a while.

So thank you all for your interest. Stay safe and keep on modeling (vision allowing 😁). Regards, Jeff.

• Like 13

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hope your eye recovers soon .

Thanks Chris, they're not too bad now and have been able to do some more on the model. I hope to have enough for another post soon.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 11:11 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I must have got some minute particle in my right eye (my best eye) and it's become infected. Attending a bush and car fire here today probably didn't help. With eyedrops etc I can barely see to type this post. Making small parts for the model is off the itinerary for a while.

So thank you all for your interest. Stay safe and keep on modeling (vision allowing 😁). Regards, Jeff.

Goodness - I hope you feel better soon! 

• Thanks 1

I've been struggling to keep up with all the builds here at the moment, but yours is looking really good, I envy your skill.

Hope your eye continues to improve, nothing worse than an eye infection to bring you down.

Jon

• Thanks 1

Gidday Guys, thank you for your concern and well-wishes. I think I'm on top of things now.

The Flower class corvette now has her depth charges.

FLWR340 DCs 2

Two DC rails/chutes at the stern and four Thornycroft throwers. Plus I've added eight reloads for the throwers and the four hoists for reloading them. From what I can gather the hoists are fixed in those positions, one overhanging each thrower. And these I'm not altogether happy with what I've done. I've used davits from an Airfix HMS Campbeltown kit. They look a bit large and bulky to me. I've trimmed them a bit but I don't think by enough. Plus the stucco plaster that Revell placed into the paint tin I'm using hasn't helped. I can't remove them now to trim them further so three options that I can think of:-  1. Try to trim them a little more and risk breaking them or something else.   2. Chop off the upper parts and try to replace them with finer arms.   3. Leave them as they are and live with them. I'm thinking option 2, but what does anyone else think?

In the foreground are some smoke floats I'm making. I'm also making Carley floats at present, plus assorted lockers, hatches etc to busy up the model. I'll have to do some hawser reels at some point too, plus the guns and mast, so still a bit to do.

So that's it for now. Thank you all for your comments, responses and interest. Stay safe and keep on modeling. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 10

Gidday All, as I said in an earlier post I'm making small fiddly items for the Flower class corvette, and this afternoon quite a few got added to the model. But first, in my previous post I mentioned my dissatisfaction with what I'd done regarding the DC hoists. I decided to take option 2 and replace the top arms. I used tapered 0.5mm square section styrene as I thought the flat surface of them would glue better than round rod. I think they look a little bit better. I've added the vents, assorted lockers and hatches, the funnel, two Carley floats, the pompom platform and the FBBs, which stand for fairleads, bollards and bullsh er bullring (right in the bow).

Here's where the model stands at present. Everything you see on it is attached.

FLWR350 busied 1

In the background are two boats I'll be fitting to the rear of the foc'sle deck. I've also made the radar lantern and it's platforms, the hedgehog launcher, the single 2lb pompom and some hawser reels. The fairleads look a little overscale to me but they're the smallest I've been able to make so far.

The paint job leaves a bit to be desired, did I tell you that the white paint is HORRIBLE to use? Oh well  .   .   .   Except for the anchors, screw and the boats and davits in the background everything on the model is scratch built. The parts I make can't compare to PE and printed stuff but I enjoy doing them.

Anyway, I've still got more to do so I'd better stop yakking and get on with it. So thank you all for your interest. Stay safe and keep on modeling. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 10

Gidday All, I've fitted some more stuff (a nautical term) to the Flower class corvette. From forward moving aft, I've fitted the Hedgehog AS mortar, splinter mattresses (inc the nav. light boxes), binnacles, 20mm Oerlikons, signal projectors (Aldis lamps) and type 271 radar to the bridge, boats and davits, the 2lb pompom AA gun, and right aft some smoke floats.

FLWR360 busied 2

I made some hawser reels but I think they're too big. I might be able to make some smaller reels later, they'll be easy to retro fit. As you can see I've also made the mast, over-long at present and needs painting. It'll go on last. I'm currently making the 4-inch gun. After that it will be fit the gun, fit the mast and then clean her up a bit. She's nearly there.

So I'd better get on with it. Thank you all for your interest. Stay safe and keep on modelling. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 13