British Army WAH-64E, 1/35

Wafu

Ok Pongo’s, with the imminent dropping of the much overdue Apache in 1/35 (the helicopter scale) what boxing of the Takom kit represents the British Army’s new battlefield toy?

Andy HQ has just done the first walkthrough of the kit but unlike Andy’s usual reviews this one is a tad sketchy, no fault of his but it’s as he admits he know nothing of the subject and just wants us to see a board overview of what’s in the box.

I’d like to do the new E and will probably build a D in British Army markings later in the year, but I would like to be guided onto the best kit to begin with.

All comments greatly received and if you fancy a bit of inter service banter then bring it on😂😂

Cheers the Woo.

• Like 1

I'm with the Woo on this.  I would like to add a 1:35 A.A.C. Apache to my helicopter collection but, as they belong to those grey beret types, I'm not up on the variants or availability.

cheers,
Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Apparently we'll have decals for Ukraine overpainted UK roundels soon as well if your PM is to be believed.

Doubt that as the Ds are being reused to build the Es and there are very few D models left in the UK for contingency and continuity training.

On 14/01/2023 at 10:30, Wafu said:

I’d like to do the new E and will probably build a D in British Army markings later in the year, but I would like to be guided onto the best kit to begin with.

This from Wikipedia:

"The Apache AH1 is to reach its out of service date in 2024 and be remanufactured to the later AH-64E version."

Cheers,
Mike

• Like 2

You’d think there would be a MOD programme for the D to the E at AW? 

I can’t remember a helicopter the U.K. have had that hasn’t had a MOD program as a mid-life upgraded, maybe this might be the exception to the rule.

5 hours ago, Wafu said:

I can’t remember a helicopter the U.K. have had that hasn’t had a MOD program as a mid-life upgraded, maybe this might be the exception to the rule.

Its not really a mid life update its a new aircraft but using the hulks as a start point...droping from 66(67) D models to 50 E .

Problem is there are certain mods the LHD (AW) put on on behalf of MoD which the E hasnt got ....going to pay USA for that or pay LHD hsmsomely....however so far I believe LHD have told MoD to do one ....Paraphrasing but an element of truth

• Haha 1

On 14/01/2023 at 10:30, Wafu said:

Ok Pongo’s, with the imminent dropping of the much overdue Apache in 1/35 (the helicopter scale) what boxing of the Takom kit represents the British Army’s new battlefield toy?

Andy HQ has just done the first walkthrough of the kit but unlike Andy’s usual reviews this one is a tad sketchy, no fault of his but it’s as he admits he know nothing of the subject and just wants us to see a board overview of what’s in the box.

All comments greatly received and if you fancy a bit of inter service banter then bring it on😂😂

Cheers the Woo.

On 15/01/2023 at 11:12, junglierating said:

Doubt that as the Ds are being reused to build the Es and there are very few D models left in the UK for contingency and continuity training.

On 15/01/2023 at 11:56, Wafu said:

The E model Apaches are AH-64E not WAH-64E they've got nothing to do with the company that was represented by the W.

The D model Apaches were so knackered after a hard service life they are getting scrapped.

Theres not much in the way of interchangeability between the D and E versions.

The E model for the British Army is an off-the-shelf US Army variant with no British specific equipment. So the Takom US army (Longbow) version will do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

BAM Models will work on a HIDAS conversion set as soon as we get our kits :)

Arnaud

AH-64E doesn't have HIDAS. HIDAS is a predominantly British designed system from Leonardo - the AH-64Es the British Army are getting are off-the-shelf US Army variants (purchased from the US government, not Boeing). 

Unless the MoD pay Boeing and Leonardo, the British Army will be getting a bog-standard US Apache. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wellsprop said:

AH-64E doesn't have HIDAS. HIDAS is a predominantly British designed system from Leonardo - the AH-64Es the British Army are getting are off-the-shelf US Army variants (purchased from the US government, not Boeing). 

Unless the MoD pay Boeing and Leonardo, the British Army will be getting a bog-standard US Apache. 

Yep but pretty useless without Hidas.

As for the hulks not sure how many but a sizable number were sent to Boeing for rework to E airframe....the basic GA of the airframe is the same.

Clearly I would have liked the AH64E to have a prefix W but I guess the immediate satisfaction of a cheap bit of kit of the shelf attractive in the short term ....gets it out the starting blocks and sort out the additional mods later.

However the cynic In me says it something to do with the original D models crazy price...btw  did I see the Airbus puma replacement fly in to Westland airfield today....hard to tell both black with a union flag ...only one Has an I and the other an F

Careful now! 🙂 please watch your step with the Takom 1/35 AH-64E.

The AH-64E Apache Guardian (Grauniad?)  boxing represents a US Army machine which sports the upturned engine exhaust ducts.

The British Army AH-64E Model aircraft does not appear have this option installed, retaining the 'D' style engine exhausts

The AH-64E 'E of the World' boxing has the old 'D' model style exhausts which are suitable for the AAC latest steeds. 

I have no idea if both types of exhausts are contained in each boxing, but I'm guessing not. 

AAC AH-64E Apache

AH-64E Apache Guardian

E of the world

Have fun,

Troffa 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this video of an unboxing of the forthcoming Takom Apache with a former US Army Apache Pilot and modeller providing some insight- I'm disappointed to learn that the D model boxing only includes the later TEDAC display in the front cockpit, precluding an early British Army variant from the box. Any thoughts?

Takom Apache Unboxing

US Army Apaches are to be re-engined with the new GE T901. According to GE:  "The T901 engine provides 50% more power 25% better specific fuel consumption, and reduced life cycle costs -with fewer parts, a simpler design, and proven, reliable technology."

GE's claims aside, is this future UK upgrade, or just too expensive? 

4 hours ago, Slater said:

GE's claims aside, is this future UK upgrade, or just too expensive? 

This is what the US are planning for the AH-64F and a load of Black Hawks.

I think this will be a stop gap, before FLRAA and FARA. 

The UK has no plans yet. 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, arnobiz said:

BAM Models will work on a HIDAS conversion set as soon as we get our kits :)

Arnaud

That's great Arnaud- do you think you could produce an Optical Relay Tube (ORT) for the front cockpit?   

The original fit for the British Army AH Mk1 (AH-64D)  was the ORT as carried over from the Apache AH64A 

ORT as installed to Co-Pilot Gunner Cockpit

And then later (around 2004? onwards) the TADS Electronic Display And Control unit (TEDAC) was installed as an improved replacement modification for the ORT. These aircraft were cycled through Afghanistan later in the British element of the conflict.  

TEDAC in Front Cockpit

TEDAC is what appears to come with the AH64D and AH64E TAKOM boxings and an ORT would be required for the first part of the AH Mk1 (AH-64D) Army Air Corps Service- The TEDAC is fine for the AH-64E out of the box.  Any plans to reproduce one or do I need get one from the Academy 1/35 Apache kits? (Or wait and see what MENG produce?)

Thanks to Gary Stedman (Gary1701) for his excellent British Army Apache Resource. 

Cheers,

Troffa

Edited by Troffa
Clarify AH-64D / AH Mk1 ORT fitment and edit links

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2023 at 10:41, Troffa said:

Thanks to Gary Stedman (Gary1701) for his excellent British Army Apache Resource. 

Cheers,

Troffa

Gary's pics are on the walkaround section here as well if anyone wants them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Seems Takom is releasing a bespoke WAH AH Mk.1 variant. Hadn't seen plans for that previously, so looks like I'm going to spend another bit on getting the AAC one to go with the US one I've already got 😅

• 6 months later...