1/700 Trumpeter Jean Bart

Third installation in my tiny fleet. Built 10 years ago. This battleship was brimming with AA guns and lots of liferafts. She was incredible! Smoke and rust stains created with Tamiya weathering kit. Very sticky and messy. More suited for tanks if you ask me 😅

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

Thanks lads. Your comments are most appreciated. Weathering back in those days was uncharted territory and somehow daunting. A subtle look is what I wanted to aim for. 🍷

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Blimey, a battle ship on the fore deck, a cruiser on the after deck & 3 destroyers down each side, it was a beast, & a beautifully modelled one too. 👍

That´s three for one. Bargain! 😄

Edited by bissyboat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

On this one I think I agree with you about the Tamiya weathering set being a bit of a let down. It's 'out of scale' with the ship, if you know what I mean?

Amazing ship though. I never saw so many guns!

Yes. That´s a valid point. The weathering set is redundant now. Too many smears and smudges and it deteriotares the paint. Maybe better suited for tanks. 👍

I really like Jean Bart, she sports so many guns! That and her interesting history and the fact that she was the last Dreadnought Battleship ever completed.

Nice job on her, looks like she has had an extended deployment somewhere!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Church said:

I really like Jean Bart, she sports so many guns! That and her interesting history and the fact that she was the last Dreadnought Battleship ever completed.

Nice job on her, looks like she has had an extended deployment somewhere!

Thank you so much for your appreciation. That´s true. Not sure but I think she was one of the Richelieu class battleships that was only 80% complete, but was evacuated during the invasion in 1940. 🍷

Yes she escaped from Saint Nazaire days before it fell to the Germans in 1940. It was a close run thing. They had to frantically dredge the channel to get her out during the suitable tidal window. Even at that, she grounded a couple of times. And then the cargo ship carrying the rest of her main guns got bombed and sunk by the Luftwaffe. She was about 77% complete and mounted only her forward 15 inch turret. and even that was not fully complete.

Her captain at the time, Pierre Jean Ronarc'h later wrote a book about it:

https://www.abebooks.com/9782914729871/LEvasion-cuirass%C3%A9-Jean-Bart-Juin-1940-2914729871/plp

It's a good read for anyone who can speak French. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Church said:

Yes she escaped from Saint Nazaire days before it fell to the Germans in 1940. It was a close run thing. They had to frantically dredge the channel to get her out during the suitable tidal window. Even at that, she grounded a couple of times. And then the cargo ship carrying the rest of her main guns got bombed and sunk by the Luftwaffe. She was about 77% complete and mounted only her forward 15 inch turret. and even that was not fully complete.

Her captain at the time, Pierre Jean Ronarc'h later wrote a book about it:

https://www.abebooks.com/9782914729871/LEvasion-cuirass%C3%A9-Jean-Bart-Juin-1940-2914729871/plp

It's a good read for anyone who can speak French. 

That´s right. It´s correct that she was only 77% completed. Thanks for the link, but French is not my forte. Maybe the book is available in English. Otherwise I´m sure there´s other sources with similar backstory. 👍