HMS Dreadnought (Trumpeter 1/350)

Hi all, I'm back on the warpath for adding photos of completed builds of Christmas past so to speak. I built the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Dreadnought a few years ago. I think it was possibly the first time I used a full detail set (albeit the Eduard version, which is less intense than some other brands), alongside a wooden deck and rigging. Looking back at it now, I'm still pretty happy with the outcome, although I may revisit it one day to add a light wash and some subtle streaking now that I'm learning how to do that. I think the only real error I've made in construction is underestimating the "pull" that EZ line exerts on the masts, which has produced a noticeable lean on the flimsy plastic main mast. Hope you enjoy the photos, thanks for looking in.

yzeLgJQpbaXEmoPh1BKCES9NXugYIq-LASbwsvnT

JwPO2od1vOz097ZqVJYyzMaZ4_ed8F0uqts3L-Er

1cLdsIfzb87awderDilYQaZs-qNuuHeQ9sPzF2tG

acocZziOppNk8nyLSkrgSIVQtK9rAc2P5B0kYRtB

3GP5qevodt0fJ_DL2xAlcYNwy7FrpVA6sm_-ZufM

dFZC-liR-52y1r5ueUu6jadLuvV18bpw1uTeOGCk

CjKShChCxxugSvuQD6qNxuLHHYrvDqp4ZzXMAKFz

WQprMi8gnmjFVQ_x8ES7rV3Tpwn_puO9H5g6Ai8I

-ugRfBcx9uOlOwKo2m-ruDP9x1CQv4c4tWzrQYVi

• Like 22

Nice, exelent model. Thanks for sharing. As far as plastic masts go, well I learned lesson the same way.Therefore, if you want tight rigging, masts must be all metal. I had to make myself both masts for Takao....I used brass rods, plus etched details from set.

It's a pain, but worth it......

IMG-3736-Copy.jpg

IMG-3845.jpg

Edited by Zoran Srb
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

Nice, exelent model. Thanks for sharing. As far as plastic masts go, well I learned lesson the same way.Therefore, if you want tight rigging, masts must be all metal. I had to make myself both masts for Takao....I used brass rods, plus etched details from set.

It's a pain, but worth it......

IMG-3736-Copy.jpg

IMG-3845.jpg

That's good work. A little above my capability and available tools sadly. However, I've managed more recent build through a combination of using better etch sets that have metal masts for those that are taller, and not fixing my rigging quite as tight also helps, just tight enough to be straight, not tight enough to bend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MRMRL said:

That's good work. A little above my capability and available tools sadly. However, I've managed more recent build through a combination of using better etch sets that have metal masts for those that are taller, and not fixing my rigging quite as tight also helps, just tight enough to be straight, not tight enough to bend.

Have you tried lycra treads Mig-ammo has 0.1,0.2 and 0.3mm. They are elastic and can be fixed easily with super glue, without too much tightening.

P.S. For those masts I used no special tools. Pliers, tweezers...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

Have you tried lycra treads Mig-ammo has 0.1,0.2 and 0.3mm. They are elastic and can be fixed easily with super glue, without too much tightening.

Fair play, might have a go if I don't have metal versions in an etch set. Thanks for the tips 😃

10 hours ago, MRMRL said:

If you consider making your own masts, these are big help.

Master model

Set of universal tapered masts No1  350-089

Set of universal tapered masts No2   350-090

Set of universal yardarms No1   350-087

Set of universal yardarms No2  350-088

Russian cruiser Varyag (1899) masts and yards set  350-024

• Like 3

This looks really nice; you are right about the mast though; I replaced the upper part of the mast on my RN Fiume after the kit part came apart while being removed from the sprue. The only part off the model that is weird are the unpainted chains. BTW some of the railings on starboard near the capstain have gotten lose. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love the dark grey colour scheme. So sinister and businesslike looking. Imagine being one of Britain's enemies and seeing that looming at you out of the mist sporting all those guns. She really did re-write the book on big gun battleships at the time of her completion. She set up a league of her own.

Again, that is a really lovely job you've done on her!

• Thanks 1