1/72 Scratchbuilt Viking longship - my Barque is worse than my Bight.

Marklo

You probably know this already but Emhar do a set of Viking oarsmen to go with their 1/72 Viking ship kit - though they are out of stock at Hannants at the moment. Of course, some would perhaps say we should not be using the term "Viking" like this - according to one school of thought they only became Vikings when out on a raid (going Viking). The rest of the time they were Northmen, Scandinavians, Danes or whatever, depending on their country of origin. Being a "proper" Yorkshireman, ie not an "immigrant" from Scotland or wherever, according to a study by I think York University about 20 years ago, something over 20% of my fellow countrymen/women had a "Viking" gene so maybe I have too! Of course one does have to wonder how many of those tested had a great-grannie or whatever who might have had a "Brief Encounter" with a Scandinavian seaman in Hull?😄Of course, when the "Northmen" settled in and around France they became the "Normans" and quite of few families in the UK have Norman roots.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

when the "Northmen" settled in and around France they became the "Normans"

Gidday Pete, I didn't know that, although it stands to reason when you mention it. I did know the name 'viking' referred to their raiding rather than their race but not the Northman/Norman connection. Thanks. Regards, Jeff.

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

On Amazon but for €28 nice idea but a bit rich for me :) 

That's one heck of a mark-up - I think they were only £6.99 at Hannants. May be back in stock soon, but the speed you work at they may be a little too late😄.

Hi Arnold,

The "Norsemen/Northmen" did get around quite a bit and some sources say that the Swedish group settling in what is now Russia were the origin of the Russ tribe. They and in particular the Normans hired out as mercenaries and fought all over the place - Italy amongst other countries, so small wonder the "Viking" gene is so widespread.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 2

My county town (city actually) of York already existed when the Romans named it Eboracum, but the Danes took and held it for many years as Jorvik. There is presumably still a reconstruction (the Jorvik experience) on the archaeological site by the river which I visited 30 or so years ago - it is underground and they had even recreated the smell - not very pleasant but very interesting! Throw in Roman ruins, Medieval walls and streets like The Shambles, York Minster and the National Railway Museum, together with a couple of other Museums and at least one decent model shop - no wonder I love the place, but then I am biased!

Pete

• Like 3

Splendid project. May this be an enjoyable and successful saga. You know what they say; longship, long story, socks, in the tooth .... ?

Way off topic but Viking connection... When I was a kid, I played at a place called The Hard Platts in Nelson, Lancs. I was told (or read somewhere) that this was a corruption of a Norse phrase that named the location of a last stand by a band of marauding Vikings.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I like the way you go for function over form

I’m aghast. If you join up all the dots you’ll get a secret message it took me ages to work out where to put them…🤪

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

E259-C599-8287-4-B29-8742-5-CDD75384220.

The hull is covered in masking tape. And lined 

D28-B71-F2-B067-459-A-B8-FF-3998-FBAB645The masking tape is then removed and cut into sections 

D9-AC38-D2-0-F91-4-CAC-BB53-ED87-AE0-BD2
Some 20 thou sheet is doubled up with tape.

3-AE98258-6-C40-4-F45-970-F-1-B38-AE62-A

Then the panels are attached with double sided sticky tape and Tamiya extra thin and left to set. Halfway there. The brown was to check of the panelling effect. More tomorrow 

• Like 8

2-EBC20-C4-A19-F-4-F67-92-F0-3-AF938-C0-
The second set of planking added

2-BA91475-A14-A-42-FE-A34-F-3-D15-CA7-D4
Scrollsaw time I need to add a keel 

481-EB681-EC7-E-4633-BB17-21-C11-D60-B31
Keel stuck on and a bit of milliput to blend it in. A bit of sanding/trimming and then add the gunwales next and that I think is the difficult bit done. Although I will have to repeat the skinning process for the interior…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

To be serious for a moment, your boat currently  looks awful

Don’t worry once fettled filled and painted it should look good. Because the finish is incomplete or indeed a little scabrous it’s hard tell from the photos but irl it doesn’t actually look that bad.

At the moment your seeing panel gaps, fingerprint and raw milliput, all of which will be addressed in turn. I can see where it’s going and it is actually going better than planned.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm always surprised by how the end result is so much tidier

That’s probably because most of the time I catch stuff in the edits to speak rather than engineer it ahead of time.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• Marklo changed the title to 1/72 Scratchbuilt Viking longship - my Barque is worse than my Bight.

Well I hope you’re happy now @Bertie McBoatface…….

Did that sound sarcastic. No really I hope you’re happy.

Just kidding. Some order has arisen out of the chaos that is my workbench :) 

01-C2-AD88-4-BE4-4-BAD-8880-96-B20-B5-A7Keel on and a lot of sanding done.

71-CCEDD6-12-EA-4641-8-A0-B-89209-F1-E96Some paint. The milliput needs a little sanding, a few of the splices need a little filler and there are a few gaps in the planking but nothing serious.

• Like 2