1/72 Scratchbuilt Viking longship - my Barque is worse than my Bight.

Marklo

May I put in; if you are doing Dragons heads. They were removable and sometimes carried into battle, ala the French  Eagle of the Napoleonic Wars period. If not into battle the Dragons heads were dismounted and remounted at the door of the leader's longhouse. The weather vane atop the mast was also dismounted and carried into battle, as a rallying point for the ship's crew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

609-E8021-283-B-413-A-BCB7-B290-A4-A934-

Deck cut and dry fitted

A26-DFC5-D-AD6-B-4-C21-BA22-F610-CF97-CD
There seem to be several styles of interior for longships. I’ve decided that this  is the setup I’m going to follow, not sure it’s completely correct but it is something I’m capable of building.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

That's very interesting. Putting the deck planking between the frames instead of over them would be so much easier, although there would have to be compensating longitudinal stiffening under there somewhere. Maybe that flipping great tree goes all the way to the ends? 😆

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The crew sat on their own personal treasure boxes as they rowed

So You have a lot of boxes to make,   :lol:

Not to mention shields they hung over the side and of course oars. Still, if you make boxes you probably don't have to make thwarts (seats).

Pete

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

You have a lot of boxes to make,   :lol:

That’s one arrangement I’ve seen I’ll be resin casting if I go that way, another  is a pair of front to back beams that each rower straddled, yet another is an open rib that each rower sat on.  Option one two is probably the easiest option one makes sense. Still to makeup me mind. Next step will be to score the deck and skin the interior of the hull.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Still, if you make boxes you probably don't have to make thwarts (seats).

That’s my thinking too but I’ll still have to make around thirty oars, shields and boxes. Blue stuff and resin I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

609-E8021-283-B-413-A-BCB7-B290-A4-A934-

Deck cut and dry fitted

There seem to be several styles of interior for longships. I’ve decided that this  is the setup I’m going to follow, not sure it’s completely correct but it is something I’m capable of building.

I'm just wondering how you intend to fashion that golden bell:

spacer.png

4 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

I'm just wondering how you intend to fashion that golden bell:

Which bit is that exactly?

A5822-A73-2475-47-B1-9-F51-4-F3325-BB006
the deck scored and with some rib detail added.

87-E0-DDA2-4977-4539-81-D4-69-EB88-D3-FAStarting on the big wooden thing in the middle

66-D6-F3-C4-C3-B4-4-C19-B4-B8-E2-BA85-BA

A lot of cutting, fitting and fiddling and I have this. Not entirely sure if the hole for the mast is in the middle, but not too difficult to correct if it’s not.

9-C3451-E3-FFC2-4166-B940-58-D9-DCDE3180 Some capping strips on the gunwales and a coat of flat brown. The mast hole is central btw.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Marklo said:

the big wooden thing in the middle

I'm not sure what the Norsemen called it but I've seen similar structures on 19 century boats which both held the mast and had an option to lie it down - they were called tabernacles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I'm not sure what the Norsemen called it but I've seen similar structures on 19 century boats which both held the mast and had an option to lie it down - they were called tabernacles.

According to the Osprey Vanguard book "Viking Longships" they called the lower part of it the "Kjerringa" which is old norse for "The Crone" - we would call it the keelson. That was a socket that supported the bottom of the mask below the deck, and the "humped" bit above the deck that provided further support was called a "mast partner" or mast fish" apparently due to its shape. Useful book!

Pete

• Like 1

8-C498-B78-7-BF4-4-ADF-B4-AA-9-BFFD7-AEFThe cap strips on the gunwhales are almost finished, might need a tiny bit of filling and shaping. I need to add the uprights for the ribs next and that’s the interior pretty much done. Then it’s in to the mast and sail, oars, chests etc. and of course a nice dragons head for the front.

And a bit of light relief one of my favourite tracks by one of my favourite bands and it’s thematically appropriate too.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5