1/72 Scratchbuilt Viking longship - my Barque is worse than my Bight.

Marklo

On 2/5/2023 at 5:47 AM, Marklo said:
On 2/5/2023 at 5:11 AM, UberDaveToo said:

my Barque is worse than my Bight

Somebody finally noticed it :) thank you.

Gidday, actually I did notice and thought it was quite clever. 🙂 I also got the bell joke, I remembered the film.

That 'mast fish' looks interesting. I think it looks like it was simply hacked from a tree and into shape. The whole vessel is coming along great. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 5:00 PM, Marklo said:

What’s the world coming to when people don’t laugh at my convoluted puns….

Don't worry, no one appreciates mine either.

• Haha 1

If there was a prize for best saline/canine/maritime pun it'd be yours, sir.

Your longship is looking fantastic. I'm looking forward to the dragon's head (cos I'm 12, basically...)

Edited by TonyOD
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

FB3-C5-FC5-03-C0-4-B6-E-951-C-65-DB6-D6-
Off the bench but poised for another round. My pattern for the chests/seats milliput with styrene strip not very large so I’m terrified of losing it. I’ll make multiple molds with my blue stuff then resin cast them in batches I need thirty. Need to add hinges a catch and some handles first. 

For the shields I may mold the bosses and use my circle cutter to make discs from 20 thou card. 

Not sure how I’ll tackle the oars. Again I need thirty of both.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

Again I need thirty of...

It's at these times the potential of 3D printing to produce multiple units while we do something else comes to the fore.

5 hours ago, Col. said:

It's at these times the potential of 3D printing to produce multiple units while we do something else comes to the fore.

Much as I live 3D printing I’ve made a conscious decision not to go there for my modelling. I’ll cite the Mrs Doyle answer again :)

• Haha 1

321-BFAE3-31-FB-4713-B45-A-7-B93-F381-A835 fettled little resin chests…

8-B6-BA880-9947-43-F4-91-F0-D1-C5-B55340And painted in a series of bright colours. Now I’m not sure if the framing should be black, brass or the same colour as the wood, hmm black or wrought iron might be most appropriate.

• Like 5

50-DB2370-6669-49-FB-9-F2-F-88-D3-C81-EE
Thirty fairly similar chests nearly finish painted. I need to finish off the black framing then I’ll give it a dry brush probably with metallic grey.

Rowlocks, shields and oats next I think.

• Like 3

remember; the holes are not just round holes, they are what we call a pippin. Kind-of egg shaped

The re-enforcement on the boxes would have been wood strips. Any metal was very expensive back then. Iron was worth more than silver and often as much as gold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1-E86-E8-A1-6-E9-E-4372-B57-C-A1-DC1-E3-
Oars a plenty… 1mm carbon fibre and brass ( I ran out of carbon fibre) and .5mm plastic card.

66-AD354-E-105-F-4156-99-D6-683795-F8-A0
Shaped and trimmed. Still another twenty left to complete…

Oh and they’re meant to be different lengths. The longer ones go to the front and back and the shorter to the middle so the blades are all in a line.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

Oh and they’re meant to be different lengths. The longer ones go to the front and back and the shorter to the middle so the blades are all in a line.

Gidday Marklo, I never knew that. I didn't know about the multi-coloured chest either. Most images I've seen show a variety of shield patterns and colours hung on the outside of the boat but not the inside of the vessel. Thanks for the info.       Regards, Jeff.

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I didn't know about the multi-coloured chest either

I’m extrapolating here, if the shields were multi hued then why not the chests.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

Seems fair enough.

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Vikings loved to decorate their belongings. Every surface was decorated. Every surface wascovered with various intertwined fantasy & mythical animals*

If anything, your chests are too plain

* this was a reason I hated doing viking style leather items, the amount of detailed decoration needed was very time consuming

btw, your oar blades are too big, They are like sculling blades whereas the viking oar was just one end the shaft flattened (sometimes just a small piece of flat wood board pinned to the shaft to widen it by about 50% ) and the other rounded and covered in leather for a grip. The egg-shaped hole in the hull for the oar to go through was just about twice the width of the shaft and very little more