Focke Wulf Single Type Group Build (STGB) - Eduard 1/48 FW-190A8 

Mukund SB

4 hours ago, Walter said:

@Ray_W My process uses mineral turpentine to soften the film, then I peel the feel off. Note you can only use this method if the paint is alcohol/water based, this way there's no chance of damaging the paint work.

Thanks Walter, I have tried the mineral turpentine method and found it did not lift or remove as easily as just leaving it 24 hours and peeling using Microsol/Set. The technique I prefer is more like this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjyRn0ScCQ

However, I do not like the printing that much and some of the colours, like yellow, are peculiar. Also, I have not had a job where some damage, even minor, does not occur to the decals somewhere. I think the key is getting down a good gloss coat for the decals to adhere to. 

I will be giving them another go soon on my Fw 190F-8 build. 

For reference, my go to paints are the lacquer and alcohol/water based paints - predominately Gunze, Tamiya and AK Real Color.

Thanks again for the response.

Ray

• Like 1

Hi Friends, Another update on Eduard A8 build. As mentioned earlier, the fitting is not easy and straight forward. Most of the contact points are vague in instructions.
They show a cross section of the assembly and expect the parts will just align themselves by magic. Some how managed to finish the cockpit and glued to one side of the fuselage.

This is how it stands now.

52656378675_788034ab50_b.jpg

52656378620_b2093a6b44_b.jpg

But to glue this you need to dry fit almost all the bits and position the front canopy to make sure this will not foul with gun sight later....

52656425298_082027883a_b.jpg

52655446442_1e00bc639f_b.jpg

52655935951_04dd1ea68a_b.jpg

Check the cross section in the instructions.... The pale blue high-light is the top IC sections.... If we screw this up A24 part will not fit and the front of the canopy will have a gap....

Fixing the top IC is a pain... It has to be held in place / glue /hold till the glue is reasonably set. This can done only after you dry fit both side of the fuselage. But glue only one side.
After glue is set at one side, dismantle the other fuselage section and proceed with gun-sight fixing after checking Part A24 sits straight on the edge..... 
90% of modelers will be cursing Eduard engineers for not providing proper contact points so that the parts can fit (without holding in tweezer / hand) then glue. I miss Tamiya in this regard....
Apart form this, no more major issue. Parts are fitting correctly but need to take time and dry fit many many times to get this correctly....

Thanks for watching and Have a great Day
Mukund

• Like 7

Hi Friends, I have been working on both my models and I think I can call the Tamiya kit completed.... 

I am yet to touch up on the exhaust stains and try antenna rigging if possible. As of now I will stop here and leave it in the shelf and move on to my Eduard kit....

52664373026_b53ff6bf48_b.jpg

52664806025_417962edd3_b.jpg

52664805995_644cc29c26_b.jpg

Please feel free to comment on areas of improvement and any mistakes ....

Have a wonderful day

Mukund

Edited by Mukund SB
Added one more image
  • Like 12

Thank you. I am happy that this has turned out well and that you like it 😃

@Marklo This is a very nice kit. I got the recommendations from this forum only. Based on the fed back provided I got few spitfires, Fw-190 and few others. I am grateful for these advice and these kits are very nice and help me learn a lot. I am very new to Aircraft but I enjoy building Aircrafts very much now a days...🙃 I am following up the builds that are happening in this group and happy to be part of this....

@IanC Thank you. I was not confident at all till completion. This is first time I tried mottling and I am pleased with the results 👍

@Stew Dapple 😃👋  Thank you. I think now my Eduard kit will keep me busy :) I never thought the builds will progress this quick....

• Like 2

A gorgeous little build. Well done. I expect we will see the larger version soon.

On 1/29/2023 at 11:58 PM, Mukund SB said:

If we screw this up A24 part will not fit and the front of the canopy will have a gap

I also found I had to do a little bit of fiddling around to get the coaming in position so the canopy section would fit. As you say, there is no positive location, and with the top IP section and gunsight, much can go wrong.

Ray 

• Thanks 1

That's a really lovely result there, Mukund, you should be very proud of that one. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the paint on the Eduard model :)

James

• Thanks 1

@Ray_W Thanks for the nice comment. I think Eduard should employ few modelers and let them interact with their engineering team..... Hope I will be able complete my A8 without too many issues..... I am following your build closely and taking hints :)

Hi James  @81-er Thank you very much for the kind words. I am also hoping to complete that A8 soon ....  this is the best place to learn and get help if at all I mess up during the build ..... 👍 😃

• Like 2

Hi Friends, I have started working on Eduard A8 kit...
The assembly is un-eventful so far. The fuselage sections are assembled. There is no major gap or issues. But required to glue one section at a time all around giving time for the glued section to set.
Following are some crappy pictures. Trying out some new lighting and white balance....
52666641521_88901f6026_b.jpg

52667144013_71ceb4de4d_b.jpg

52667076920_50bf8a641e_o.jpg

52667144063_13d358dee7_b.jpg

The details look good with close up. Hope rivet details will be retained during next steps. If we do a heavy primer then details would be gone i think...
52667144093_19c5781e43_b.jpg

The instruction indicated that the cover over the wing sections ( at bottom right corner in above picture) should be used for one specific marking (with the snake...) Not sure how big a mistake it would be if I choose to switch a different marking.....

Thanks for watching and Have a Great weekend
Mukund

• Like 9

On 03/02/2023 at 17:17, Mukund SB said:

The instruction indicated that the cover over the wing sections ( at bottom right corner in above picture) should be used for one specific marking (with the snake...) Not sure how big a mistake it would be if I choose to switch a different marking.....

That cover was so the 30mm MK 108 canon could be fitted in the wing instead of the 20mm MK 151 canon.  This cover became a a standard fit on later A-8's, a universal wing so that the 30mm canon could be fitted if needed.  Because this 'universal' wing became the standard wing made, even aircraft that didn't have guns fitted in the outboard positions, like F-8's could have these wings fitted.  So any late A-8, especially the ones that were tasked with attacking the US bombers would have this wing with cover fitted.

• Thanks 1

Thank you Sir @Retired Bob for the response. I am ok to slightly be off the original look and finish as long as the model looks presentable on my shelf :). That said, I thought fixing of the Wing Canon cover will restrict me to that one marking option. Good to know 👍

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,
Another update of Eduard A8 Weekend edition build that has been completed mostly. The front canopy is not yet glued. Some more detail painting needs to be completed.
Finally glued the fiddly bits, landing gear are all fixed. Need to touch-up the weathering some more. Other then these I can say this is completed 😃....

Probably my expectation from Eduard has been high and this build had brought me down to reality. 
The decals are very bad and the carrier film reacts differently to different mediums. With oils it stains. With enamels it tends to peel off here and there.

I do not want to touch the film after clear coat. But in spite of clear coat, two larger decal's carrier film started blistering and I peeled the remaining off to salvage.
I wish Eduard would improve the (Fitment) engineering and the Decals..... 30% of parts still not used, These could have been saved and savings $$ could have been passed on to customers....
Not sure why this is not mentioned much in reviews.... Going forward, I will be thinking twice before picking up Eduard If I have to use kit supplied decals I think....

Few pictures after completion.... The details look good though.... 

52682109923_232b2b78a2_b.jpg

52681092652_a192df9dd7_b.jpg

52681611006_ec311d72c2_b.jpg

52682109853_26f308d41e_b.jpg

52681895619_199555f7f6_b.jpg

52682042890_c7d9125f64_b.jpg

52681610986_16ccbd374c_b.jpg

52681895659_837901848f_b.jpg

52681092682_841c46f6b0_b.jpg

Thanks for watching and Have a Great weekend
Mukund

• Like 10

Mukund, 

A lovely build and a shame with the decals. Exceptional paintwork and exhaust staining. I like it a lot.

Typical new process Eduard decals. Some look to have gone down brilliantly. There are a lot of comments on Eduard new process decals which, in my view, remain a backward step for otherwise fine kits. Some say they can get them to work but I find them just too unpredictable. I find I need to remove the carrier film and this is challenging. For me, most success has been with just peeling the carrier film carefully with tweezers and scalpel blade to assist. This has worked and then has not and you will always get some decals where the base colour lifts. Failures will still occur at detail changes like where a decal goes over a hinge or at a panel line. It does not suit my builds as this "weathering"  of the markings usually does not reflect the real aircraft that I may be modelling.  There is a process where odourless thinners is used to assist in removing the carrier film so no wonder the enamels reacted. I have tried this method and don't like it. Note that I use lacquers and alcohol/water based acrylics so there are no compatibility issues. 

I tend to avoid Eduard recent releases for these reasons and yet I am a sucker for punishment. I will give them another go on my Fw 190 F-8 build. I feel smooth surface preparation and a good gloss coat is mandatory.

As to the fit, these later Fw 190's were a bit of a hybrid marrying their previous FW's with the open BMW 801 to a simpler closed-up type. The undercarriage assembly is fiddly. I always find I have to spend a lot of time to get it right and invariably end up still not happy with it. Get it right and it is a great rendition. Overall though I love the kit and if you source the decals from others and buy overtrees you can have the fun without the decal pain.

Ray

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I find them just too unpredictable.

Ray

This is exactly I felt as well..... If it failed predictably, we can work around.... This is my first Eduard build, but I have picked a few for my stash. If I have known this earlier, I would have stayed away. But with all this said and done, the model does builds up looking good..... I wish Eduard finds a way to resolve this soonest.... I am still trying to get the finish you managed for the gun barrels, but so far without success. :)

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great work Mukund

If I can get the mottling on my 190 builds anything close to you’ve achieved I’ll be happy. 

James

Thanks James @franky boy this group proves all the support and encouragement :) I am following you build 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mukund SB said:

I am still trying to get the finish you managed for the gun barrels, but so far without success.

Simple. Try this ...

BM Fw190A-3 WIP80

Best sprayed, but use a bigger nozzle. Absolutely no trouble spraying through my 0.35 Iwata HP-CS. Just loves to clog through my smaller nozzle Iwata 0.2 and H&S 0.15. Shoot it straight from the bottle, no thinning. Let dry and rub to a nice metallic finish. It is not robust but the effect is excellent. Experiment with the Metal Color range and you will soon have exhausts like the best of them. Here 1/48 Spitfire Mk Vc.

Spitfire_A58-84_Construction_79

I am not turned off Eduard. They are great kits and getting better, just let down by the current crop of decals.

Ray

• Like 3