Focke Wulf Single Type Group Build (STGB) - Eduard 1/48 FW-190A8 

Mukund SB

Hello Everyone  👋  I will be building my first FW-190 as part of this GB. I am very confident I have all the references I need in this group so I am excited and rearing to start 🙃
Till yesterday Tamiya's old 1/72 scale A3 was the only FW-190 kit in my stash. But today I have received kits that were ordered last week which in itself is a miracle in this part of town.

Since I have an option to choose, I will be building Eduard 1/48 FW-190A-8 kit.   

52624234956_3a1f955b0d_b.jpg

Box content.... I like it a lot :)

52623716892_e7e1fec79b_b.jpg

Comparing the previous consideration and the newer option.... Not sure whether I can finish in time if I start both... 

52624234951_2cedfea827_b.jpg

Thanks in advance and feel free to share comments....
Mukund

Edited by Mukund SB
Typo fixed
  • Like 9

• Mukund SB changed the title to Focke Wulf Single Type Group Build (STGB) - Eduard 1/48 FW-190A8 

Hi @Retired Bob I have not decideed on specifics... As I am new to Aircraft scene, i am learning and reading up.

Currently looking for the build threads and checking out few colorful schemes... Feel free to suggest, will definitely look it up... I am looking for few scheme that I might print the decal myself... but geting the art work located is a challenge....

The start date has finaly arrived and I am excited :)

I might build both 1/72 A3 and 1/48 A8 during this GB. Hope to complete both on time with reasonable fit and finish.

52639334211_84a71ee6bc_b.jpg

52639334231_1994991b9a_b.jpg

Starting with Tamiya's A3 first...

My first Fw-190 build, not taking any challenges and build OOB. By going through the start threads I realize that there will be enough mods and surgeries happening, so excited to start building and be part of this GB...

• Like 8

Today made some progress with Tamiya kit.....

Started with the cockpit and it is very simple just 4 parts and it is done. Primed with Mr.Surfacer. Followed the instructions to the dot...
Base coat Tamiya XF-63 thinned with Mr. color thinner. Used Gaianote Lacquer for Semi-gloss black. First time using this paint. No complaints. Thinned with Mr. Color Thinner.

Used kit supplied decal for seat belt and dials. Excuse the dust, After very light wash, tried to wipe with q-tip and have not cleaned it properly.... 

Next steps - Clean it and clear coat before installing in fuselage. 

52640350059_ca910d43e8_b.jpg

52640094196_382b630724_b.jpg

52640567878_829a8c8b63_b.jpg

I found some damage in one of the sprue. Possibly happened during shipment. It was bent at two places. I have soaked the part in hot water and tried my best to bring it back to the correct shape. 
It might create issues later.... 
52639580207_9dbce4d2c2_b.jpg

Please share your feedback and comments. Thanks for watching....Have wonderful weekend

Mukund

• Like 11

Hello Everyone,
Another update for Today. True to its name, the fit for this Tamiya kit is very good and I am happy that the build is progressing well. Cleaned up most of the parts and test fitting to make sure of alignment....

I painted the wheel well with XF-22 and glued the top and bottom of the wing sections. It went well and I thought everything was fine. I let the glue dry overnight and primed to check for imperfections. I think the portside wing has gap which is slightly more than it should be.

52644352653_82c6317a3e_b.jpg

I normally try to fix something which is 90% fine and mess it up and bring the finish to 60%.  🙃 😝   Now the question is whether this needs to be filled or Not? If it needs filling, Which will be better Tamiya putty or Milliput for this? (No PPP so not an option 🙄)

Thanks in advance and feel free to share comments....
Mukund

• Like 3

Thank you @81-er :)

A small update for Today. Did a matt coat for entire cockpit and applied Mr.Color Clear Gloss using a sharpened toothpick to mimic dials. I am doing this first time and I am happy how this has turned out.
Did some touch up detail painting / dry brushing on the instrument console etc. Applied another light wash. Managed to finish the cockpit and install in fuselage. After spending so much time hardly anything is visible.... But I knew what was done that is all that matters...

52650167928_6b1f1b20e0_b.jpg

The fit was perfect. No filling or sanding required. I could proceed to next steps without wasting any time. I primed and let it try for a day. After pre-shading using black surfacer, applied RLM76 as base coat. Then applied RLM75 (Mr. Color C36). Currently it is left as is and will probably finish RLM74 (Mr. Color 339 mix) by end of today.
The biggest challenge for me will be the mottling effect that will be during this week end probably....

52650131210_0b00fcf05e_b.jpg

52650131235_d93c5c60a9_b.jpg

52649957719_21a25ddac4_b.jpg

Thanks for looking. Please let me know if you see any mistakes and area that needs correction. Thanks in advance.

Have a Great Day
Mukund

• Like 10

Hi Mukund,

I'll follow along. Nice start with the 1/72 Tamiya.

I'm looking forward to your Eduard build. Very interested in how the decals perform. I've tended to stay away from the Eduard latest decal prints. Not totally happy with them. It is why I have chosen kits of their 190's with the older decal prints for this STGB. I hope they have them sorted because they are producing some very interesting subjects. Besides I am going to give them another go - purchased their recent 1/48th F-8 kit today. Call me a sucker for punishment.

Ray

• Like 1

Hi @Stew Dapple Happy to know that you like what you see so far...... My challenge will start at free hand mottling effect to finish the reminder of camo and edges 😅 

Hi @Ray_W I have not built  and completed Eduard kits before. Few I have opened but left after few hours of toying around. This will be my first serious build and will complete one way or other.... I find the parts too fiddly and 20% of the parts are created this way just show a higher parts count 😝 

Mating parts generally just have reference points but do not have locating and positioning surfaces. This makes assembly more fiddly and wish you have few more fingers to hold parts and glue.... Not to mention your finger prints all over the place 🤣 I have seen some amazing models built with Eduard kits, so I would like to think it is me the culprit and not the kit... Hope this build will change my perception of Eduard 👍 Regarding the decal, Will try and report here how this goes.... I think the thick clear coat is still being used in the newer kits. There is no mention of change that I have read so far.... Will try peeling off the layer, after decal application to see if this helps to reduce visible edges or not..... 

Hello @81-er Thank you 👍 I am starting the Eduard A8 kit ..... I think Tamiya managed to create crisp details at 1/72 scale when comparing with this 1/48 scale....

• Like 1

Hello Friends, Today's update.... I have left the Tamiya A3 alone and started working on Eduard A8 kit....

The box art looks great and hope this build out to be OK as well..... I started with cockpit and some fiddly bits and pieces

52652596880_2b3c26b560_b.jpg

52652637348_15f936786b_o.jpg

Also cleaned up the top and bottom wing sections and fuselage sections.... Details are looking good.  

52652637378_fb7b4d9e57_b.jpg

After that started with other parts, clean-up, priming and painting etc....  I have uploaded bigger pic in photo-bucket if you want close-up...

52651666597_338a7c15c1_b.jpg

So far no complaints. will use supplied decal for cluster and belts. Will update tomorrow how this goes....

Thanks for watching and Have a great Day
Mukund

• Like 8

On 26/01/2023 at 19:54, Ray_W said:

Hi Mukund,

I'll follow along. Nice start with the 1/72 Tamiya.

I'm looking forward to your Eduard build. Very interested in how the decals perform. I've tended to stay away from the Eduard latest decal prints. Not totally happy with them. It is why I have chosen kits of their 190's with the older decal prints for this STGB. I hope they have them sorted because they are producing some very interesting subjects. Besides I am going to give them another go - purchased their recent 1/48th F-8 kit today. Call me a sucker for punishment.

Ray

Why so Ray? I find them great to use and they look fantastic if you choose to remove the clear transfer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Why so Ray?

H Walter,

Variability in performance and colour accuracy/density.

I have had success removing the carrier film (usually with some chipping) and then not. First time I used their new process were the wing walk markings from their Spitfire Mk I release. Carrier film removed and I thought this is great. I did not use the other markings because of the colour, particularly yellows. I built their MiG-21PF with their latest print process and started to suffer decal chipping. Maybe because it was on a NMF. Still variability I do not like. The printing was not great. See the thickness of the yellow bands and the blurry stencilling. I am being a little pedantic but the current crop of screen printed decals from other suppliers are excellent. Hence the bar has been set quite high. I understand Eduard's desire to do it all in house, but, I still feel it was a step backward for otherwise brilliant kits. Hopefully I will change my opinion on my F-8 build.

BM MiG-21 NVAF WIP65

I started to try to remove the film on the kill markings and was unhappy. The reason the film is not visible on the right hand side of the kill markings is where it lifted. Not to my satisfaction and I sanded and re-sprayed the edge. I left the film in place. The final result was OK. 

BM MiG-21 NVAF WIP59

Visible but certainly does not detract from the final effort and looks good on the shelf.

BM MiG-21 NVAF G6

So I am willing to give them another go. @Walter, I am very interested in your carrier film process. What do you do?

Apologies to Mukund @Mukund SB for stealing the thread. Good to see your build is underway. I'll follow with interest. Very neat work. I like the kit supplied side consoles. Nice detail. 

Ray

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Even with the new decals I just leave the film on. I know my cack handedness and sausage fingers would just mess things up. 

😉

Hello @Ray_W Absolutely no problem and feel free to discuss any related topics what so ever.... This just makes the thread more interesting..... Regarding the the Eduard decals, you are spot on.... Exactly my thoughts. Removal of carrier film is not a process that works always... Getting replacement decals / alternates are not easy to come by in India with insane shipping times. So like what @Corsairfoxfouruncle put it more aptly, I will probably leave the film on rather than risk messing up/ chipping. 

I have tried the IC and side panel decals.... I notice that just soaking for 5 seconds is all that is needed and the decal slides easily off to transfer on to the model. No hot water just water at around 25 degrees C. Tamiya / Dragon / Revell decals would take more than double that time normally.....  

• Like 3

@Ray_W My process uses mineral turpentine to soften the film, then I peel the feel off. Note you can only use this method if the paint is alcohol/water based, this way there's no chance of damaging the paint work. I use Mr Hobby Aqueous. I wouldn't use it with Vallejo paints and if you use laquer paints then a different process is required. 

There are other methods on youtube well worth watching.

Edited by Walter
  • Thanks 1