127 Squadron RCAF Hurricane Mk.XII AZModel (from a IID)

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I'd probably be a bit wary of taking it like that. 
Just imagine for argument's sake what happens if you kick the controls trying to get out ;)

I believe that control surfaces weren't too easy to move without deliberate force in those days. I seem to remember controls having quite a bit of inertia when I was in a cockpit. Can't remember if it was the Cessna or the airliner commercial simulator.

Edited by marvinneko

I cut out the two larger flaps for the Hurricane. The inner small ones will be more of a challenge because there are tiny triangles of material between the large and small flaps that may just fall off.

Here's a mockup of how the "combs" will be applied to the dropped flaps. I specified a comb structure to allow for a delicate print of the rib structure to work with the printer.

863-F6-ADD-A984-4-BE3-B0-D3-5-EAC89691-D

I'll glue the 3D printed comb structures onto the flaps then trim off the excess bits. Then I can sand them down a bit and airbrush them with metal.

Edit: I think I got the left one flipped horizontally and vertically. Good thing it's a mockup.

Edited by marvinneko
  • Like 3

Stumbled onto the Calgary Mosquito Society. They restored a Hurricane Mk.XII and put up some lo res images of their stencils.

https://calgarymosquitosociety.com/5389.htm

Hurricane2.JPG

This looks like the RCAF fonts I need for my 5655... some stencils Troy noticed in my Kitchener photo and some other stencils.

They had a stencil location image but I can't read it.

Hurricane1.JPG

I've put in a request to them to share hi res versions. I hope to hear back. Those guys seem amazing. Imagine volunteering on Hurricane and Mosquito restorations. Wow. Unfortunately I live very far away.

Also found this image that better shows what the "1" looks like for my 1-Z squadron code. The other image I had was bleached out at the top but I had guessed it looked like this.

60f9983cdd1a9744b11ef182_Sea-Hurricane-B

We got the Hiipoo inkjet waterslide decal paper delivered today. Apparently it needs 3x acrylic coat after a print and before use... with curing time after each coat.

Edited by marvinneko
  • Like 5

I know I'm flooding here but I also want to have an open cockpit. That means cutting the clear part... should be ok if I go slow... but the part is too narrow inside to slide back over the hump.

An option is to sand the insides... that's gonna fog them up. I realize there are micromesh sanding cloth sets (which cost more than I paid for this kit... :(  ). I have access to three levels of Novus plastic polishing liquid. I am hoping that fine grit sandpaper and Novus will do the trick.

I was studying my Kitchener photo and noticed more details to add... a metal handle on the canopy, for instance, and a rearview mirror on top of the windscreen area, and a C shaped foothold on the side of the fuselage. There is also a strap hanging out of the cockpit... I've seen it in various photos. It's the seat harness strap.... so if I made seat belts one strap could hang out the cockpit.

This walkaround is amazing for studying details including how moveable control surface connect to stabilizers.

https://ipms.nl/walkarounds/walkaround-vliegtuigen-props/walkaround-hawker-hurricane

Edited by marvinneko
  • Like 3

More random progresses

Cut and mocked a third flap with ridges. Managed to break off a little piece of the bottom fuselage. Saved it to glue later.

Rounded those pesky exhaust pipes. Probably still needs some work but looks way more like the Canadian version.

Sanded the rudder... I think it's been rescued. It was looking a bit rough but I managed to glue the broken top bits together and use filler to deal with other gaps.

60-AFCD7-D-6-F79-4-CC3-A3-D0-6-D8-C255-C

I made little resin lenses on the weekend.

4998-F78-F-3551-4-DF1-960-E-E271-BE07-B6

I popped a few onto the instrument panel. Way too big... though they were my tiniest drops. I should redo this.

Maybe I should've just put the resin into the panel and tried curing it under UV. My idea was to make lots of lenses to use in various places. Maybe use one for the tail light in the rudder. Turned out not to be a great idea as they all had to be cured.

I guess drops of white glue might've been easier too.

705-EFBB7-DCED-4-DDD-8-F07-4-C612-BD0758

Also cut and painted Tamiya tape to simulate seat belts as per Rato. Paint is drying. Dunno what that's gonna be like. Anyhoo, I'll give it a go. I made the buckles previously. 

I promised myself to just try everything on this first kit and learn from the disasters. 😎 

• Like 5

Last few days I got pulled into research mode, digging into my great uncle's past gunnery training in Fairey Battles and wireless training in "Menasco" 82C Tiger Moths. Awesome stuff. I've got pix and I'd love to do them in the future. 

Today trekked out to a local hobby shop in an industrial area... pretty disappointed to be honest. Cramped aisles, dull selection, and the estate sale prices were delusional. $40 for a used and old Airfix Fairey Battle that takes a huge effort to correct? Um, no. There's a new Frrom kit coming out this Spring right? Place had a nice website but I won't be going back. There's a far better place east of me that is bigger, friendlier, and has more interesting selection. And better prices.

Consoled myself and the missus with amazing triple IPA (dry hopped and smooooooth) and a stunning coffee and natural vanilla stout at a tap room.

Tonight faced my CA cementing fears and put the 3d printed "comb" pieces onto the flaps. Checked many times... good thing as I had it all backwards at first.

8023-EE18-6-D49-424-E-A75-F-5-A7-E2-D6-A

Here I've sliced off the extra bits. Not gonna win any awards here but it was a stab at the concept. Probably too chunky vs reality.

They are sloped against the flaps but you can't see from this angle. 

I'll probably sand it some more tomorrow and prime it. If I lose my mind maybe I'll try slicing the ribs to thin them a bit.

FDAFD992-A744-41-F2-BCF9-9-A3-C17-FF4327

I also need to bite the bullet and prime the nose of my fuselage and glue the engine face in so I can put the fuselage together.

• Like 4

On 1/22/2023 at 4:58 PM, marvinneko said:

Then use an xacto knife to slice through the fine wire on the flat edge of the tweezer prong. Voila... buckles

5-F62-B3-E4-069-A-423-D-98-F7-ADB1-E9238

Those have to be tiny! Very impressed with the workmanship and the photography!

Progress today. 

Primed the flaps with the ribs I added. Here's a mockup. I'll paint them metal colour next. When glued in each pair should butt up I believe. Should work fine.

8915-FA09-DEF1-4-BD0-B126-EE89-B4-D6-C1-

OK seatbelts. Sheesh. I realize this looks more like something from a fetish shop but after all afternoon and multiple tries, this is what I ended with. I learned a lot for next time. For some reason I just got a little obsessed about it. 

I did study lots of photos previously but verisimilitude just wasn't going to happen today. These are made from Tamiya masking tape and fine wire. I lost a few buckles and ruined a few straps in the process. In the end I got impatient and wanted to move on.

2019-D114-CADC-4755-8-B11-3159-BDA13-F29

I fitted the engine face into the nose. Yikes. That was a pain. I glued in some plastic junk behind it so I don't somehow poke the engine face into the model after assembly.

I glued the instrument panel. Maybe too close? The instructions would've had it buried deeper in the nose. I was hoping to at least see it.

I also glued the seat assembly.

06583889-E9-E7-47-E1-A8-B0-83-F3-D07201-

So I guess I was deluded when I thought I had a good fit on stuff. When I glued I saw some gaps here and there :(

8-AFE0-CB4-7-D20-4-CBA-AC65-C7-D9-E533-D

I had the nose nicely primed but struggling with the engine face resulted in some paint damage. No big deal. I'm getting good with the airbrush.

I primed the nose to check out my job rounding the exhausts. Not bad. The primer helps show little nits in the surface I need to sand out with high grit. I also  primed my ailerons and was surprised how nice my scribing job looked. It's well worth the time to scribe.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Those have to be tiny! Very impressed with the workmanship and the photography!

Very kind. You inspired me to mess with seatbelts this afternoon. Made lots of buckles, different sizes, lost a few, wrecked a few :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well... this morning I was looking at the photos of Sunday's work and decided I could do better. I want slimmer seatbelts, more in scale, and with buckles more similar to Hurricane buckles. So I ripped out the seat and scraped off the belts, breaking the tip off the control stick in the process.

The seat in the AZ kit is a poor quality resin that was in bad shape before I attacked it. So... I asked my wife to model me a new one. The control stick can be repaired or replaced. It was too chunky for my taste once it was all installed in the cockpit. So Sunday's work has been undone and she'll get to modelling next weekend. However, I learned a lot about making belts and I look forward to doing a better job. My vision is to prep myself for a series of models following my great uncle's RCAF training,

Anyhoo, decided to work on converting the wings from IID to IIB. @Tail-Dragon kindly shared diagrams with me on the conversion.

So here's tonight's work. I puttied and sanded the existing two panels and pencilled in the new ones. I only got one side done but it was weirdly enjoyable, helped with a pint of lager.

I'm not entirely sure what I should be scribing. The panels on the left I guess. But the triangle and oddly shaped panel on the right aren't clear to me. Do I just scribe dark lines? Or both dark and light but at diff pressure?

Maybe @Tail-Dragon can comment?

I also marked out locations for guns and landing light on the leading edge. I plan to drill dimples and replicate the LOADED red tape over them. 

Oh... any suggestions on making the ejection port shapes on the bottom wing? I puttied and sanded the "wrong" old ones for the cannons and will mark in the new ones later this week.

8-AEF0-D02-7046-4-BA3-9414-0-F512360162-

Edited by marvinneko
  • Like 4

The light looking lines are rows of rivets, scribe only the heavy lines (see below)

As far as the cartridge ejection chutes, you have a couple of options, you can represent them with small pieces of black decal, or paint.

Or, you can drill a small #80 hole at the front of each chute, then at the back, then joint them together, carving with a fresh #11 x-acto blade, and square the corners. This is a pain (trust me, I know!)

decals5

Looking good, so far!

Colin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Coming along nicely.

Don't confuse elevator trim with elevator position. Trim is to reduce control pressure and relieve the pilot of tiring forces. Trimming down means adjusting the trim to hold the nose slightly lower than in normal flight. The elevator position is still fully under the pilot's control and you would probably not notice any difference in elevator position. The reason they are "down" when parked is simply the force of gravity, unless there is a control lock fitted to the stick to hold it back towards the seat, elevators would then be deflected up. This would be common when parked facing into a wind as it would help keep the tail on the ground.

Ian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marvinneko said:

any suggestions on making the ejection port shapes on the bottom wing? I puttied and sanded the "wrong" old ones for the cannons and will mark in the new ones later this week.

On this example at least they were doped over, possibly just with paper so spent shell cases would rip through easily, which coukld save you a load of work.

23237102681_7d832f26f3_b.jpgRCAF Hurricane XII, c1941. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

10 hours ago, marvinneko said:

I'm not entirely sure what I should be scribing. The panels on the left I guess. But the triangle and oddly shaped panel on the right aren't clear to me. Do I just scribe dark lines? Or both dark and light but at diff pressure?

the removable panels, these

608abab946cd0aaab27281046e12a582--cienfu

note

this drawing is not very good

8-AEF0-D02-7046-4-BA3-9414-0-F512360162-

there are no slots in the gun panel,  but behind, and the centre panel is too wide, and the side ammo box hatches are the same size.  The gun bays are fitted around the existing wing structure, the drawing shows the centre panel as being wider than the structure lines.

see below

hurricane_iia_10_of_31.jpg

hurricane_12-585x382.jpg

the outer gun bays were worked around the existing wing structure

9aeeed031bb794daeb91c96beade45b1.jpg

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

The light looking lines are rows of rivets, scribe only the heavy lines (see below)

As far as the cartridge ejection chutes, you have a couple of options, you can represent them with small pieces of black decal, or paint.

Or, you can drill a small #80 hole at the front of each chute, then at the back, then joint them together, carving with a fresh #11 x-acto blade, and square the corners. This is a pain (trust me, I know!)

Looking good, so far!

Colin

Super helpful pix, thanks. I think I'll take Troy's advice and say the ejection ports were doped over :)

9 hours ago, Brandy said:

Coming along nicely.

Don't confuse elevator trim with elevator position. Trim is to reduce control pressure and relieve the pilot of tiring forces. Trimming down means adjusting the trim to hold the nose slightly lower than in normal flight. The elevator position is still fully under the pilot's control and you would probably not notice any difference in elevator position. The reason they are "down" when parked is simply the force of gravity, unless there is a control lock fitted to the stick to hold it back towards the seat, elevators would then be deflected up. This would be common when parked facing into a wind as it would help keep the tail on the ground.

Ian

Absolutely clear on the diff. I was thinking the pilot notes refer to elevator trim being down for landing (does that mke sense? elevators trimmed down and full flaps on apparently?), but I was also thinking a pilot realizing he's coming down with no gear at the last moment might pull up. Hence a crashed plane might have elevators tweaked up.

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

On this example at least they were doped over, possibly just with paper so spent shell cases would rip through easily, which coukld save you a load of work.

RCAF Hurricane XII, c1941. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the removable panels, these

note

this drawing is not very good

there are no slots in the gun panel,  but behind, and the centre panel is too wide, and the side ammo box hatches are the same size.  The gun bays are fitted around the existing wing structure, the drawing shows the centre panel as being wider than the structure lines.

see below

the outer gun bays were worked around the existing wing structure

HTH

Awesome. After a few rereads and some lager it made perfect sense :)

I'll tweak the ammo tops to be the same, tweak the gun cover inside the lines, and I'll say the ejection ports are doped over.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marvinneko said:

refer to elevator trim being down for landing (does that mke sense? elevators trimmed down 

No, it's trimmed NOSE down, IE to land the aircraft the pilot needs to maintain a little more forward pressure so trimming nose down helps alleviate that pressure. Trim does not affect elevator position, only control pressures.

After landing, whether crash landing or not, the elevators will not stay in the position the pilot deflected them during landing. Once he releases pressure on the stick they will drop under gravity unless something has jammed them.

Ian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brandy said:

No, it's trimmed NOSE down, IE to land the aircraft the pilot needs to maintain a little more forward pressure so trimming nose down helps alleviate that pressure. Trim does not affect elevator position, only control pressures.

After landing, whether crash landing or not, the elevators will not stay in the position the pilot deflected them during landing. Once he releases pressure on the stick they will drop under gravity unless something has jammed them.

Ian

I went back and reread the pilot notes and of course you are absolutely correct. Thanks for the correction!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 2:35 PM, Troy Smith said:

23237102681_7d832f26f3_b.jpgRCAF Hurricane XII, c1941. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

That's a Canadian built Mk. XII in Canada so probably had the ejection holes covered up as it could well have not needed any guns or to fire any if fitted.

Gondor

31 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

so probably had the ejection holes covered up as it could well have not needed any guns or to fire any if fitted.

It is seen on operational types, the is a Spitfire Vb in the desert.

15225937513_56972cb278_b.jpgRCAF Spitfire Mk V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

This looks to be paper.   May well be more common in the desert due to sand/dust,  but it's a simple way to keep dirt of of the guns.

The Canadian Hurricane may well have them to keep out cold and snow(look at the ground)  as guns were fitted and used,  note the image above with 'loaded' chalked over the muzzle patch. 

HTH

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

marvinneko, all of your photos are now unseeable. When I try to open them in a new tab, I get: 500 Internal Server Error

Chris

Hi Chris

Working ok for me. I use imgbb to host and it was down a couple days in the past week. Not sure if that has affected your local cache (ie cloudflare).

Since I'm here, an update.

Reading "Aerodrome of Democracy" a book about the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan from 1983. Now hosted as free pdf by gov of Canada. I'm enjoying the history and amazed to learn about the cost and planning and our contribution.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2009/forces/D63-1-3E.pdf

My wife modelled a new seat for the Hurricane and it's printing. The resin parts with the kit were poor quality and I want a new seat and better seatbelts. I've made new buckles that are even tinier than before.

I have scribed, puttied in, rescribed, puttied, and rescribed my wings. Ha. Absolute butchery. I used a tamiya photoetch saw. Then switched to some kind of nail hygiene spike thing my wife gave me.

Here I diagrammed my plan for the two sections of access doors to ensure I kept them within the limits Troy mentioned.

2-D4748-F2-0-D13-4317-847-F-53-BCABEBE71

Here is the result of the butchery. The filled one (filled two times 😛 ) has new scribed panels that are smaller.

I also had to putty and file around the cockpit front as the model had terrible plastic there that blobbed and didn't line up. 

BF545-CA0-8-A7-C-4-BD1-A529-1640-DF59201

My wife gave me a syringe/needle for some kind of nail thing. It worked for putting the bolt heads onto the wings.

Tomorrow we'll rescue the new seat. I've made a new stick to go with it as I broke the old one and it was chunky anyway. This is some kind of pin from my wife's old bead making kit. I glued the insulation from the wire I used to make buckles. I'll trim everything down and paint it metal colour then use black on the ring and bottom half of the "wire". Should make for a less chunky stick.

4-CB81-AFC-25-BB-4-FCB-B49-D-91622207-AF

EDIT: maybe I'll try again with a finer wire

Edited by marvinneko
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Have you seen this site?

http://rcafcampborden.blogspot.com/

Chris

No, that one's new to me. Thanks for the link. 

I also found free RCAF Journal special issue on BCATP in 2017. Haven't started yet.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2017/mdn-dnd/D12-16-5-2-eng.pdf

Also a commemorative book on BCATP, also free.

https://wartimecanada.ca/sites/default/files/documents/BCATP.pdf

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, marvinneko said:

No, that one's new to me. Thanks for the link. 

I also found free RCAF Journal special issue on BCATP in 2017. Haven't started yet.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2017/mdn-dnd/D12-16-5-2-eng.pdf

What/where do you type in your search? As it's Canadian government, it's not all that clear.

Chris

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

What/where do you type in your search? As it's Canadian government, it's not all that clear.

Chris

The link should take you to the pdf after you click the continue to publication button.

If you just want to find the archives of issues:

https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/corporate/reports-publications/royal-canadian-air-force-journal/archives.html

as for search, might need to use google