1:48 Hurricat, Aifix Hurricane, Neomega resin catapult

During the 2021 Telford show, I picked up this resin kit of the CAM Ship Hurricat Catapult from Neomega and it sat in my stash until December when I decided it was time to build it.

The kit can be seen here: https://www.neomega-resin.com/cam-ship-hurricat-catapult-section-997-p.asp

As you can see in that link, the kit comes with a small resin plinth, but I decided to scratch build a representative sample of the full gantry, using this pic as inspiration:

rail1.jpg?m=1670850990

The result was this

DSC_6988.JPG?m=1673567789

DSC_6987.JPG?m=1673567790

DSC_6989.JPG?m=1673567793

DSC_6990.JPG?m=1673567796

Note that because the footrest is down the handhold in the fuselage is open :D

So everything from the gantry down is scratch built, including the ladder. I've only added one tie down cable to represent them as otherwise the base would be too big and I'm NOT building the brow of a CAM ship!!!!

The Hurricane in an Airfix Hurricane Mk 1 Trop boxing but I used the normal intake for this and the catapult kit came with brass for the catapult spools under the fuselage which engaged with the hooks on the rocket sled.

20221203_195548.jpg?m=1673568121

The On Target book has several CAM ship Sea Hurricanes and I chose to portray V6756, NJ.Lwhich was on the CAM ship Empire Tide in late 1941. The underside of the Hurricane showing the catapult spools and the rocket sled engagement

DSC_6995.JPG?m=1673568070

Here are some WIP pics as well - this kit has lots of PE!

20221203_195509.jpg?m=1673568117

20221203_195501.jpg?m=1673568118

Here you see the little plinth they included in the kit which I thought was inadequate hence the scratch building

20221211_100716.jpg?m=1673568122

It was a challenging build, but its very unusual and I like building things that are different!

I would also recommend a book called "The Hurricats" by Ralph Barker that tells the story behind the 'disposable' Hurricanes that did convoy duty in the 41-43 years.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 4

That catapult is amazing.  You cannot tell where the kit part of it ends and your scratch building begins.  It is seamless.  And it is a great tribute to the airmen who flew these planes.  I mean how can one not jump at the chance to fly a plane that has no way of landing other than a water landing in the middle of an ocean, in whatever sea conditions exist at the time, in a plane that really doesn't land on water too well, with the hope that whatever sea craft launched you isn't being distracted by whatever cause you to be launched, and gets to you prior to you drowning, being eaten, or drifting off the course they think you should be drifting.  Finding a little one person raft in a rolling ocean is not the easiest thing to do.  My hat is off to those pilots as I do not know I would volunteer for such a mission.  And I've volunteered for some really stupid missions in my time.  Thanks for sharing this wonderful build and such great craftmanship.  It truly is amazing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1