Blackburn Buccaneer XN974

MickE

I am currently building the new Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2C/D as XN974 when it was based at Boscombe Down. I have got the Kits-World decal sheet for XN974 which shows that the aircraft has the wing ECM pods fitted but actual pictures of the aircraft at the Yorkshire Air Museum show it with no pods fitted. Would anyone know if the pods would ever have been fitted to that particular aircraft? I am more inclined to believe the photos rather than the decal sheet. The museum aircraft pictures do not show the drop tanks fitted but I imagine that would have been at some time in it's working life.

PM sent. Picture is from Adrian Balchs 'Testing Colours' which should answer your question. I've PM'd it rather than simply post it as I don't want to break any copyright rules.

Hope it helps

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hello MickE. 

I’d say that the decal sheet should be more correct than the Museum photos.

You would think that the decal sheet would have been created via reference photos, and all of the items were standard/regular fit on the real A/C.

Where as a Museum may or may not receive or be able to display the real A/C. At the time of the A/C’s de-mob , still needed items or sensitive items maybe removed for operational reasons. 

My advice is to always seek out good quality period photos, and never trust a Museum piece . The above post has just dropped in front of me.    

Hope this helps.     😉

• Thanks 1

Pete - As I said , that was really useful

Amos  - the picture that Pete sent does show the aircraft without the pods - I am going to have to fill in the locating holes now! 😒

I agree with you about museum aircraft though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MickE said:

Pete - As I said , that was really useful

Amos  - the picture that Pete sent does show the aircraft without the pods - I am going to have to fill in the locating holes now! 😒

I agree with you about museum aircraft though.

That was the only photo I could find but I guess it still doesn’t mean the aircraft never flew without additional pods or instrumentation. Have to admit I thought you might actually be talking about the fuel tanks rather than additional pods. As Amos said you would hope the decal producer would have used photographic reference during their research.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MickE said:

I am currently building the new Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S.2C/D as XN974 when it was based at Boscombe Down. I have got the Kits-World decal sheet for XN974 which shows that the aircraft has the wing ECM pods fitted but actual pictures of the aircraft at the Yorkshire Air Museum show it with no pods fitted. Would anyone know if the pods would ever have been fitted to that particular aircraft? I am more inclined to believe the photos rather than the decal sheet. The museum aircraft pictures do not show the drop tanks fitted but I imagine that would have been at some time in it's working life.

I've checked my bucc book and found a pic of XN974 on USS Lexington for hot weather trials with drop tanks fitted and a pic of her sister aircraft XN976 in the same scheme showing tanks and pylons from a different angle.. will PM the pics.

• Thanks 1

I was  referring to those small pods on the wing leading edges outboard of the pylons, which I believe are ECM pods.

Thanks for the pics offer Aerotechni. I should be able to see if the pods are fitted on the wings in that photo.

Just looked at the photos and there are no pods on the wings. Plus, interestingly, the drop tanks are painted white whereas the decal sheet says to paint them grey. I guess it comes down to what year do I wish to depict the aircraft.

Thanks again all, I can always rely on the Britmodeller community to come through with the goods!:clap:

• Like 1

Those pods contained wide band homer equipment.  They were removable so you can find photos of the same aircraft with and without them.  My suspicion is that XN974 went without them more often than not as it was a trials aircraft.  Incidentally, it was originally an S.1 and later converted to an S.2.  This is the only Bucc that flew as both an S.1 and S.2 and was the very first S.2 off the line.  A search on facebook brings up photos with it in grey over white with grey tanks as you mentioned.  There is another photo on facebook of an overall EDSG bucc landing on the Ark but I think the poster has the serial wrong. 

By the way, I would be very leery of trusting Kits World research; at least with the Bucc sheets, I cant really speak to sheets for any other types.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MickE said:

I am at a point where I am attaching the flaps and ailerons. Does anyone know if the flaps are usually up or down on parked aircraft?

Either.

I have seen Buccs, both RAF and RN parked with them up and others with them down.

Off the top of my head, I'd say park them down, as I recall there would be BLC ducting to examine.

• Thanks 1