It was in a book/ film/ song-in the bunfight and needing a bigger soundstage

Mjwomack

If anyone has an Airfix Cherokee Arrow in their stash (I don't unfortunately) there is always 'Talk Down' by Brian Lecomber. A Chipmunk also is part of the story. I first read the book in 1978, more or less in one go, and since moving to Leeds, it has some local appeal, as some of the action takes near where Mrs T lived as well as around Leeds. Would have made a great film/TV provided they stuck to the story. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul821 said:

As I require a number of local buildings for my project I think I'll put my name down for a building from the Lovejoy series built in card. The series was filmed in the area.

And that's the 30 up- almost as long running as The Mousetrap! Building, what a brilliant idea to reach the bunfight on. Windmill from Jonathan Creek? Some episodes were filmed in Norfolk/ Suffolk.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, malpaso said:

I've already done a "film" Dambuster using the ancient Revell kit - the decal for which replicate the film markings, whereas newer kits are all 617 style!

Reach for the Sky - the film gives you BOB marked Mk.XVIe with DB losing his leg bailing out of a bubble-top.

For the newer Dunkirk there's the Yakfire.

Splendid, in the stranger list of things that kept me awake (last night's edition) I was thinking about Reach for the Sky and this proposal.

Dambuster from the Revell kit epistomises my idea; a hyper detailed Tamiya ;'Dambuster' would be wrong because it would be too accurate and not from the film version of life.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr T said:

If anyone has an Airfix Cherokee Arrow in their stash (I don't unfortunately) there is always 'Talk Down' by Brian Lecomber. A Chipmunk also is part of the story. I first read the book in 1978, more or less in one go, and since moving to Leeds, it has some local appeal, as some of the action takes near where Mrs T lived as well as around Leeds. Would have made a great film/TV provided they stuck to the story. 

And with that I was straight on Kinkit! none available, outrageous price on the notorious auction site-- got to be due a repop as a Vintage Classic surely?

If only they stuck to the story- you sound just like my dad!!!

• Haha 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to It was in a book/ film/ song- over 30 because all the world's a stage!

We humbly draw the attention of the President of the board of Directors of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, aka @Enzo the Magnificent that the magic 30 has been passed, and we are ready to be admitted to the bunfight.

TIA

Oscar glory awaits bravehearts- break a leg! (Back to Reach for the Sky already)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

And with that I was straight on Kinkit! none available, outrageous price on the notorious auction site-- got to be due a repop as a Vintage Classic surely?

If only they stuck to the story- you sound just like my dad!!!

Strangely enough after I wrote it I thought the same. As being a dad with grown up children and with the big 70 beckoning next year, I have become my dad in a manner of speaking as he is no longer with us. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Strangely enough after I wrote it I thought the same. As being a dad with grown up children and with the big 70 beckoning next year, I have become my dad in a manner of speaking as he is no longer with us. 

Oh it was a very affectionate twang of nostalgia for sure

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Subject to dates, I think you can count me in for this one.

A number of options spring to mind but since my usual modelling genre is limited to RN warships or Fleet Air Arm aircraft, I think this would afford a justification to avoid the obvious and pick one the 487 different types of aircraft flown by Winkle Brown and included in his various books.

I think in keeping with the spirit of the theme, my pole position would be from a song:

1184742055.jpg

using the Airfix kit.  I've even got the blue vinyl album version to go with it (and until I Googled an image of the album cover to illustrate this, hadn't realised quite how much that is now worth!).  Seeing them play this at the Hammersmith Odeon on the 1979 tour was awesome - couldn't hear properly for 3 days.   Question is, could I 3D print Lemmy, Fast Eddie and Phil Taylor to go in the cockpit?

The other thought is that it would finally give me the excuse to invest in one of these:

adventures-in-plastic-1350-thunderbird-2

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The other thought is that it would finally give me the excuse to invest in one of these:

adventures-in-plastic-1350-thunderbird-2

Welcome and we're here to help at BM GB Inc!

Thunderbirds are go 

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

This is a fun theme, you can add my name to the list!

a pleasure to welcome you to the read through! After your foray into munchkin scale, I'm imaging Guilders Travels😄

• Haha 1

Hi Mj, glad the thirty has been hit. I have obtained a reasonably priced Airfix Cherokee Arrow. A first issue in an bubble pack packaging, and a 23pence sticker from Woolworths on the back. Count me in for the group build. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Hi Mj, glad the thirty has been hit. I have obtained a reasonably priced Airfix Cherokee Arrow. A first issue in an bubble pack packaging, and a 23pence sticker from Woolworths on the back. Count me in for the group build. 

Oh that's very nice! And with the original sticker- brilliant.

Welcome

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’d definitely like to participate in this group build- as a bookworm since childhood I’ve fallen for a few aircraft I’d earlier never really appreciated after reading about them in a book.

I think I’d either choose an English Electric Lightning (Jan Mark’s Thunder and Lightnings, recently reread with my son) or Desmond Scott’s Typhoon R8843 (Typhoon Pilot, all time favourite pilot’s memoir). But I have a few book-aircraft matches in my stash so it won’t be a struggle!

Edit: And I just remembered I have the Hot Shots Gnat in the stash too..

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Karearea said:

I’d definitely like to participate in this group build- as a bookworm since childhood I’ve fallen for a few aircraft I’d earlier never really appreciated after reading about them in a book.

I think I’d either choose an English Electric Lightning (Jan Mark’s Thunder and Lightnings, recently reread with my son) or Desmond Scott’s Typhoon R8843 (Typhoon Pilot, all time favourite pilot’s memoir). But I have a few book-aircraft matches in my stash so it won’t be a struggle!

Edit: And I just remembered I have the Hot Shots Gnat in the stash too..

Welcome; that's the spirit. Is that the distant sound of chanting I hear? Well, it could be the words of 'build 'em all'. I was straight on a significant internet bookseller to look those two up. As a fellow bookworm, one of my secondary objectives is that we are introduced to lots of fascinating books- it'll be a rabbit hole for bookworms so to speak!

• Mjwomack changed the title to It was in a book/ film/ song-in the bunfight and I'd like to thank my agent's cat etc....

I've got a Revell Red October in my small stash that I was given almost 20 years ago - given that I've worked in a job linked with submarines for nearly 8 years now, I should probably get around to building it...

Who knows, I might even add the doors to the caterpillar drive that are conspicuously absent from the kit!

11 hours ago, Beardybloke said:

've got a Revell Red October in my small stash that I was given almost 20 years ago -

Submarines! Yes, welcome aboard, though they're a bit too claustrophobic for me. In the interests of research I see there's a 40th anniversary set for Das Boot. 40 years though? Where did the time go!!

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Submarines! Yes, welcome aboard, though they're a bit too claustrophobic for me. In the interests of research I see there's a 40th anniversary set for Das Boot. 40 years though? Where did the time go!!

Much as I'd like the Das Boot set, I'd struggle to get a 1/144 U-boat past the domestic authorities! Maybe once the kids have grown up and I can replace the fairly sizeable wooden playhouse in the garden with a proper workshop...

• Like 1

I'm in.

What with though? There are a few right off the top of my head...

The Airfix/MPC Monkeemobile or 007 Aston.

Any one of countless Commando/Battle/War/ Air Ace covers

A Le Man GT40

Best I stop thinking here, the list could run to a page or two.

Roll on 2024.

Lots of great suggestions from books and films but not a lot from songs. If this GB gets up I'll try and remedy it but can't think of many obvious choices. I've already mentioned in an earlier post an F-111 (from the Sigue Sigue Sputnik song), Spitfire (Public Service Broadcasting), Saturn V (Inspiral Carpets) and Enola Gay (OMD). I've got a couple of F-111s and Spitfires in the stash so they could work.

A couple of others that come to mind are a motorcycle (from Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers) or a Boeing 707 from Jet Airliner by the Steve Miller Band (which is somehow stuck in my head right now). I've never built a motorbike and don't have one in the stash, maybe I could give it a go though. I've got a 707 in the stash, would have to think about what airline Steve Miller might have had in mind!

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'm in.

What with though? There are a few right off the top of my head...

The Airfix/MPC Monkeemobile or 007 Aston.

Any one of countless Commando/Battle/War/ Air Ace covers

A Le Man GT40

Best I stop thinking here, the list could run to a page or two.

Roll on 2024.

Stop now before someone starts whispering a certain GB catchphrase in your ear🤪. I never even knew of the Airfix Monkeemobile, I assume it was a reboot of the AMT one that's also on Scalemates and then there's a or maybe THE fonzmobile!

And someone please do a cover from a Commando or Battle

As for GT40, opens up all manner of race car films straightaway

In other words welcome.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Lots of great suggestions from books and films but not a lot from songs. If this GB gets up I'll try and remedy it but can't think of many obvious choices. I've already mentioned in an earlier post an F-111 (from the Sigue Sigue Sputnik song), Spitfire (Public Service Broadcasting), Saturn V (Inspiral Carpets) and Enola Gay (OMD). I've got a couple of F-111s and Spitfires in the stash so they could work.

A couple of others that come to mind are a motorcycle (from Motorcycle Emptiness by Manic Street Preachers) or a Boeing 707 from Jet Airliner by the Steve Miller Band (which is somehow stuck in my head right now). I've never built a motorbike and don't have one in the stash, maybe I could give it a go though. I've got a 707 in the stash, would have to think about what airline Steve Miller might have had in mind!

Surely the motorbike has to be Steve Mcqeen's from The Great Escape? Must be the most famous motorbike in cinema history!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Tom Paxton: I lost my love on a seven forty seven.

Trouble is, I can find a video for it, so venturing into Whatiffery at that point. Never too late to knock up a video, stick it on youTube and post the link though!!!