It was in a book/ film/ song-in the bunfight and needing a bigger soundstage

Mjwomack

57 minutes ago, UberDaveToo said:

I should'a popped on that kit when I had the chance. Apparently those kits are incredibly scarce now...

They are definitely hard to find. Even for Aoshima themselves. Apparently they lost a full skid of them in their warehouse and didn't find them for a couple years. Blew them out to HLJ one they did and I just missed out on grabbing a couple more. Still don't know why they haven't re-popped them the way they have the DeLoren or KITT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I expect Catcus 1549, Sully Sullenberger's ride into the Hudson River would be perfect for this. ( I have the book :D )

Sign me up!

Yes it certainly would, I think I saw it's in a museum somewhere now for a site visit and to check things out.

• Like 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to It was in a book/ film/ song 16 'luvvies' in the script read-through already!
6 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

Might as well post my latest reading material here too:

spacer.png

Have you read 'On a wing and a prayer"? It's the memoirs of the 100th BG Group Navigator- they're base is the nearest one to where we now live, previously we lived nearer to Horham home of the 95th

• Like 2

Count me in. Not sure what I’d build but I have a few ideas:

F-111 (the Sigurd Sigue Sputnik song Love Missile F-111. Fun fact, one of the members of Sigue Sigue Sputnik was running a music group for toddlers in North London when we lived there 12 years ago. Mrs Z took our then 2 year old a couple of times)

Saturn V (the Inspiral Carpets song)

Spitfire (Public Service Broadcasting song)

Enola Gay (OMD song)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Have you read 'On a wing and a prayer"? It's the memoirs of the 100th BG Group Navigator- they're base is the nearest one to where we now live, previously we lived nearer to Horham home of the 95th

I believe I have, but it's been a while...

I just finished re-reading Martin Caiden's "The Ragged, Rugged Warriors" for the first time in 40 years. The book covers the time from Japan's invasion of China in 1937 to the Battle of Midway, focusing mainly on the Zero fighter. Claire Chennault, as head of the Chinese Air Force had tangled with the Zero for the better part of a year prior to Pearl Harbor, and had sent technical info about them to warn the principle Allied nations. When they saw that the Zero had twice the range of most of the world's fighter aircraft, none of them believed it.

After Pearl Harbor, the Japanese reduced the British presence in the Pacific to nothing until mid 1944. Nagumo took his fleet into the Indian Ocean and bloodied the nose of a Royal Navy task force, sank the HMS Hermes, and cleared the skies of Fulmars, Albacores and Swordfish.

Greg Board was an RAAF pilot in Singapore assigned to a squadron with no airplanes, they were brought new Brewster Buffaloes in crates and had to assemble them. They turned out both bulky and balky. Concerned pilots were told by their superiors not to worry because the Japanese were equipped with outmoded biplanes. When the Zeros came, they used the British air fields for target practice, what few Buffaloes that got in the air were swiftly swept aside. Heroically, mechanics rebuilt some planes from the wrecks but the Buffaloes continued to prove their bad reputation. At one point, they managed to evade the Zeros in poor weather and attack a flight of "Val" dive bombers which turn the tables on the Buffaloes and cut them to pieces. In the end, Board escaped to Australia, but only after two ships had been sunk out from under him in that endeavor.

The US Army Air Forces in the Philippines fared no better, Zeros slaughtered Army pilots equipped with the much improved P-40E flying all the way from Formosa. Philippine defenders reported Japanese carriers off the coast when Nagumo was off creating havoc elsewhere in the Pacific, they still couldn't grasp the amazing range of the Zero. The Army Air Forces in the Philippines greatly outnumbered the British in Malaysia but they were eliminated as a force in a matter of days by trying to dogfight the Zeros. Some pilots, like Boyd "Buzz" Wagner came out on top fighting the Japanese but small victories couldn't stop the tidal wave.

At Java it was no different. The Dutch, flying P-36 export fighters that had seen success being flown by the French against the Luftwaffe, met the same disaster as others had. For the US Army Air Forces, Java was just a repeat of their Philippine experience.

For six months America sent everything they had to the Pacific theater, from Fortresses to Airacobras, all were chewed up in the maelstrom of rampaging Zeros. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 11:52 PM, Mjwomack said:

That little black mini, like the one your grannie had,

Gidday, I can't imagine Grannie wearing a mini. 😁        Sorry, I'll get my coat.        Regards, Jeff. 🙂

• Haha 3

• Mjwomack changed the title to It was in a book/ film/ song 18 'luvvies' in the script read-through already!
7 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Count me in for this one. I’ve got all the bits to build Tom Hardy’s spitfire from ‘Dunkirk’. It’s been on the list for a little while so would fit nicely into this GB.

that would be sweet!

5 hours ago, zebra said:

Count me in. Not sure what I’d build but I have a few ideas:

F-111 (the Sigurd Sigue Sputnik song Love Missile F-111. Fun fact, one of the members of Sigue Sigue Sputnik was running a music group for toddlers in North London when we lived there 12 years ago. Mrs Z took our then 2 year old a couple of times)

Saturn V (the Inspiral Carpets song)

Spitfire (Public Service Broadcasting song)

Enola Gay (OMD song)

Sigue Sigue sputnik, there's a band I've not heard mentioned for a very long time.

I liked OMD, had a pressing of Electricity which apparently is worth a lot of money nowadays, but there you go!

• Like 1

Ok - put me on the list. Mostly because I want to play a very tough round of model building charades with you lot. I have my subject sorted and it’s a scratchbuild so you won’t pick it by recognising the sprues!

• Like 3

Will you be excluding our many many reference books? A mention in the Observer's Book of Aircraft would be grounds for entering anything. 

But I don't know how you would distinguish such technical books from memoirs like They Gave Me a Seafire and if you exclude such memoirs, what do you do with Reach for the Sky, the movie?

These quibbles aside, I'm interested enough for you to add my name. 

(I have nothing in mind atm btw.)

5 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

But she did Jeff. She did!

Gidday, yeah I sometimes think that it gets forgotten that old people (and I'm closer to 70 than 60 😲) were young once, and probably got up to all the decadent and depraved things we wistfully dream about. 😁       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I took a quick glance at the stash and found some other possible subjects. 

Sticking with quotes/hints,

- "You must think in Russian"

- "You have 10 seconds to comply" 

- "So say we all" or "By your command" if you didn't see the remake. 

There's also a stack of kits from a galaxy far, far away but that's too easy. 

Carl

Edited by FG2Si
  • Haha 1

• Mjwomack changed the title to It was in a book/ film/ song 20 'luvvies' in the script read-through already!
11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Ok - put me on the list. Mostly because I want to play a very tough round of model building charades with you lot. I have my subject sorted and it’s a scratchbuild so you won’t pick it by recognising the sprues!

Welcome, and it'll make a change from being @Marklo with a collection of spure shots that are assorted shhets of styrene and maybe a lump of wood!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Will you be excluding our many many reference books? A mention in the Observer's Book of Aircraft would be grounds for entering anything. 

But I don't know how you would distinguish such technical books from memoirs like They Gave Me a Seafire and if you exclude such memoirs, what do you do with Reach for the Sky, the movie?

These quibbles aside, I'm interested enough for you to add my name. 

(I have nothing in mind atm btw.)

Right on the button, Bertie!! It was actually the 'They gave me a Spitfire' book in Salty Seadog that reinvigorated the idea for me. Yes, memoirs for sure but not reference books. Because I trust the GB massif more than the general population to be mature and sensible I think people will be sensible about things.

I'd say there needs to be a clear link, so @bigfoot idea of Tom Hardy's Spitfire is excellent, ideally backed up with a still from the film. Very much like in the Queen's many named GB last year, there has to be evidence once to justify the link. So in that ()I'm still) building Vicker Viking VL247 because there's a photo of her with it rather than a generic Viking.

Oh and also like you, I've no idea what I'll actually build. I/m reading Captain Banks memoirs at the moment so the Maesk Alabama is an obvious contender but nobody does a kit (I hope), but I'd not enter a random coastal freighter from the early part of his career because he doesn't name them and it would be too generic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FG2Si said:

- "You must think in Russian"

- "You have 10 seconds to comply" 

- "So say we all" or "By your command" if you didn't see the remake. 

Firefox

Robocop

Battlestar Galactica

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

This song is something of a classic.

Might it be held to justify a build of this?

y4mcxMEKDARHbz9xahtos9FPCj4Aed6EetkrVfsM

Which is a bit 'funny' as that gun is a total fake, the turret being chock full of radios.

No? I didn't think so really...

Could is, could ain't don't sound right...

10 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

This song is something of a classic.

Might it be held to justify a build of this?

y4mcxMEKDARHbz9xahtos9FPCj4Aed6EetkrVfsM

Which is a bit 'funny' as that gun is a total fake, the turret being chock full of radios.

No? I didn't think so really...

Well, this soon came back to bite me

Because I trust the GB massif more than the general population to be mature and sensible I think people will be sensible about things

But bonus mark for a cryptic crossword level of clue in the charades