It was in a book/ film/ song-in the bunfight and needing a bigger soundstage

Mjwomack

I've noticed that the Salty Sea Dog GB is a very cultured place with lots of people referencing books and films. Sooo- how about a GB where the subject was featured in such a thing.

It could be somebody's memoirs or a historical account or a work of fiction. Even a song.

So, if you want a Spitfire it has to be reference in a book or film etc. ie there's a still from Battle of Britain for it, equal not quite whif but a yellow submarine or an Alien are fine. As are Wallace and Grommit.

As with the Queens Jubilee/ in memoriam build the thing is to have a link, even a photo of a book cover to demonstrate the connection.

And don't let me stop anyone from making ptasicine taxis and cellophane flowers if they want too!

And of course, lots of James Bond!

1. @Mjwomack

2 @vppelt68

3 @Black Knight

4. @Chrisj2003

5. @Bonhoff

6. @UberDaveToo

7. @Robert Stuart

8. @Marklo

9. @cmatthewbacon

10. @dnl42

11. @The Plastic Surgeon

12. @RC Boater Bill

13. @Luke1199

14. @FG2Si

15. @Romeo Alpha Yankee

16. @stevehnz

17. @bigfoot

18. @zebra

19. @Bandsaw Steve

20. @Bertie McBoatface

21. @Hockeyboy76

22. @nimrod54

23. @psdavidson

24. @Jabba

25. @TEMPESTMK5

26. @Bobby No Mac

27. @MARADER

28. @CliffB

29. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

30. @Paul821

31. @malpaso

32. @ModelingEdmontonian

33. @MrT

34. @Karearea

35. @Beardybloke

36. @TonyW

37. @Chewbacca

38. @davecov

• Like 7

Something close to this was proposed a few years ago, but it didn´t make it. I was quick to support it back then, as I'm now also. Please add me to "the list" 🙂.

Edit: Oh how about a song 

and a book https://www.westholmepublishing.com/book/the-final-mission-elizabeth-hoban/. Yes, I have both the book and the decals for the "Priority Gal" 🙂

V-P

• Like 1

Just now, vppelt68 said:

Something close to this was proposed a few years ago, but it didn´t make it. I was quick to support it back then, as I'm now also. Please add me to "the list" 🙂.

V-P

I'km not noted for originality- yes I had a feeling I'd seen it around before. Anyhow, welcome to the set/ writers room studio whatever works for you dahlings!! Air kisses, but GENUINELY love your work

• Like 1

Just now, Black Knight said:

Another New Year rule broken; please count me in on this

I think I supported it the last time it was suggested

It's not necessarily broken a rule becuase

a) It won't be until 2024

b) it's not even made the bunfight yet so may not get anywhere near happening.

Unless we're going to get all phiilospohical about intent and action. Perhaps we should ban certain categories already so Schrodingers Cat is out as our Einstein's infinitely long trains passing in infinitely long tunnels.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Black Knight said:

My rule for this year was to NOT sign up to ANY GBs at all! 

(except for on the Airfix Tribute Forum, for special reasons)

Yep, think you're going to need a very good lawyer to plead your case this time

• Haha 1

There is a F-4C in this book on my to do list, and due to be released by FineMolds this year, so count me in, (f I have understood the intent of this). Of course I have lots of books with pictures of many Phantoms in.

Chris

spacer.png

• Like 1

I had the idea of starting a personal theme for movie airplanes, here's just a few:

The Holy Grail of classic movies, "Casablanca," The plane to Lisbon.

"A Gathering of Eagles," Happy Jack Kirby's KC-135A.

"Battle of Britain" You name it.

"Strategic Air Command," B-36 for starters.

"Toward the Unknown," Gilbert XF-120, B-50 launch plane with X-2

"12 O'clock High," Leper Colony." 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

There is a F-4C in this book on my to do list, and due to be released by FineMolds this year, so count me in, (f I have understood the intent of this). Of course I have lots of books with pictures of many Phantoms in.

Chris

spacer.png

That's the style! And yes, you've followed my thinking, it's not eligible just because there was a tiny photo of it in this copy of Aeroplane magazine from 1924 or whatever, it has to be significant part of the whole work/ Or if you prefer, cameos don't count it's got to be a leading cast member!

5 hours ago, UberDaveToo said:

...Or maybe "Operation Petticoat," A 1/72 Revell Gato class sub done up in pink?

Love all the aircraft suggestions, and obviously Casablanca but this is exactly the strange sort of thing in my mind. Or some of those American tanks pressed into German service buy painting a big cross on the side in those 1960s war movies!

How about a double build of a pink submarine and a yellow submarine? Though you've clearly got enough ideas already

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Think it might have been This one

Can't believe it was back in 2017 that I suggested it!

Happy to sign up for this one

IanJ

That's the one 2017, oh well that's another year gone, and it does mean it's comfortably past the date before which a proposal can be rerun. Once more into the breach dear friends etc. I suppose we can allow Shakespeare!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

OK, I'm in; way too many options to decide what.

Just hope this theme isn't too open.

Thanks, in my mind the model has to be demonstrably linked to 'the original' and be a substantial part of the original. 

Another worked example

A James Bond car - yep

That little black mini, like the one your grannie had, that it overtakes at 1hr 22mins and 10 seconds - sorry but no.

bound to be some grey areas but that's the high concept of it to me.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Good idea I’m in.

I feel a list coming on!

Thanks everyone

• Like 1

Thanks to our friends at Roden, you can now do a diorama in 1/72 featuring a German Postbus and a white disruptive painted Ju52 about to take off.

A "Little Red Corvette" or "Little Deuce Coupe"

Or Thunderbirds going

A Vault full of Horror from Aurora/Polar Lights

Count me in -- I need an excuse to build the Batman Tumblr, but I might be tempted by my Airfix James Bond DB5...

We could play model charades.... don't say what you're building from what, but start the build thread and let people guess at what the book/film or song title is as you progress.

best,

M.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

We could play model charades.... don't say what you're building from what, but start the build thread and let people guess at what the book/film or song title is as you progress.

That is a genius idea.

And thanks for your support and interest in the arts- to the list!

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Thanks, in my mind the model has to be demonstrably linked to 'the original' and be a substantial part of the original. 

That helps.  Wonder if my father-in-law's Biggles collection is still around?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Oh, come on, didn't Oddball command some Sherman tanks in that film?

Tiger tink? Good thing some can speak Typonese. Oddball's tank would need a piece of pipe and a loud speaker.

Not to mention Eastwood's other war flick "Where Eagles Dare," JU 52 and "Fighter wing 126" Harvard Focke Wulf 190s.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Oh, this is good. I've already done the Zero shootdown from The Final Countdown.

I like the idea of starting the kit without any reference to the book/film/song. 

Thank you, and you've started rehearsals already!! Wheras I've only got a high concept and no inkling of a script.

Anyhow 1/3 of the way to the bunfight already