SS British Sovereign, Revell, 1/500 **** Finito! ****

I shall joint with this part started 1970s released kit.

52620956944_056b814168_b.jpg

I had started it on whim a couple of years ago and only got as far as getting the hull together (very poorly I might add) 

52621128615_63c4b427be_b.jpg

52620181677_d22654d016_b.jpg

There are another 40+ parts to go

52621175193_cc12002f0d_b.jpg

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Ooh! Nice. You could have endless fun superdetailing the deck of one of those. Pipes everywhere!

Is the real thing still afloat? It looks very 1970 with the bridge amidships like that.

I think OOB will work fine for me, I haven't built many ships to date.

Built in 1954 for the British Tanker Company and sold in 1972 and renamed Petrola VI and then renamed Petrola 6 in 1976. Scrapped in 1977.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I think OOB will work fine for me, I haven't built many ships to date.

Built in 1954 for the British Tanker Company and sold in 1972 and renamed Petrola VI and then renamed Petrola 6 in 1976. Scrapped in 1977.

1954! No wonder it looked a bit historical. 

I look forward to seeing it come together. Will you be rigging it?

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Didn't they do an oil rig at the same time? I think when the North Sea oil field was coming on stream. 

I seem to remember North Sea oil being quite exciting when I was a kid in the 70s. Before fossil fuels were a dirty word, of course. I guess Revell tapped into that. Whatever their benefits, it’s hard to get excited about a wind turbine or a solar farm, I doubt we’ll be seeing model kits of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

it’s hard to get excited about a wind turbine or a solar farm, I doubt we’ll be seeing model kits of them.

Wanna bet on that?

https://therailwayconductor.co.uk/model-railway-trackside-props-accessories/product/kibri-38532-wind-turbine 

They've got 10 in stock which would make a passable off-shore wind farm.. Though you'll need a big baseboard.

Also available in 'N' which would help space wise.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Wanna bet on that?

https://therailwayconductor.co.uk/model-railway-trackside-props-accessories/product/kibri-38532-wind-turbine 

They've got 10 in stock which would make a passable off-shore wind farm.. Though you'll need a big baseboard.

Also available in 'N' which would help space wise.

440mm high but non-operationable; boo! With 10 I could have done a model of the site at Glens of Foundland a wee bit west of where I live and generate enough power to zap next door's cat next time it starts skulking around my bird table.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Col. said:

With 10 I could have done a model of the site at Glens of Foundland a wee bit west of where I live and generate enough power to zap next door's cat next time it starts skulking around my bird table.

Oh that's alright, its too electrocute a cat because I was going to suggest that if you're thinking of entering a model of the Glens of Foundland in this Gb, it's going to need a very high tide to pull that one off

• Haha 3

On 1/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, CliffB said:

A great choice.  Hat's off too, to Revell's marketing guys for deciding to produce such a kit in the first place :thumbsup2:

Holy thread drift Batman! :D

According to Scalemates it was tooled by a company called Merit in the 1950s and re-boxed by Heller in the 1960s and Revell in the mid - late 70s.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Holy thread drift Batman! :D

According to Scalemates it was tooled by a company called Merit in the 1950s and re-boxed by Heller in the 19060s and Revell in the mid - late 70s.

It's older than me then. I hope it's in better condition. 😄

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Some people have a cat sleeping on their workbench but not our Ray, oh no, he has a baby AT-AT snoozing on his :D 

I hear they make good pets, at least until their legs grow in…😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well, I'll be blowed! There's a British Pathé filum on the Tube documenting SS British Sovereign's construction and launch. I'm sure you're onto this, but just in case you aren't and it may be of interest to your thread visitors. Nice choice, by the way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, RC Boater Bill said:

According to ScaleMates, the kit last appeared in 1974, and is 1/500 scale.   

I was interested to see that the kit first appeared from "Merit" in the fifties, then found its way into a Heller boxing in the sixties. They called it the BP Lavera. Revell didn't get hold of the mould until 1977, the year the British Sovereign was scrapped.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-l605-bp-lavera--786870 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 5:46 AM, Maginot said:

Well, I'll be blowed! There's a British Pathé filum on the Tube documenting SS British Sovereign's construction and launch. I'm sure you're onto this, but just in case you aren't and it may be of interest to your thread visitors. Nice choice, by the way.

Thanks Maginot. I enjoyed that very much. I love these old movies that once were so hard to find. It has increased my enthusiasm for the build too!

Dis anyone else flinch when the shaft went into the propeller? I almost shouted "Mind your fingers, idiot!" at the screen.