FV432 Mk. 1

AMStreet

Does anyone know of a set of plans or a walk-around for the Mk1. 432?

I just got hold of the Takom  1/72 432/Chieftain set and I would like to convert the 432 Mk.2/1 to the Mk.1.

Now it's been a very long time since I was in contact with the 432 during my time with 29 Field Ambulance but one of the things I do remember was the exhaust running along the top of the vehicle and not as on later marks along the left hand side.  I'm not sure whether I will detail the interior but just getting the exterior right is proving to be challenging. So any help or pointers would be welcomed.

From memory MK1 had no NBC pack door on r/h side, no stowage bins on roof or l/h side, some had Bedford MJ exhaust boxes but these where often removed. Takom has moulded to many antenna bases as well, enough for the Royal Signals 438 variant, standard 432 and 434 repair variant radio fit of 2 Clansman used the front two antenna, command 433 and Medic 437 variant had 3 Clansman so used front 2 and 1 of the rear bases. MK1 also didn't have the tuam box behind the commander's hatch or the cam pole holders.

Edited by neil5208

rayprit.  Thanks for the hint about asking for a walkaround.  I did check for images but only got a few, small generic pictures which didn't help sort out all the differences between the two marks.

neil5208. Thanks for all the info.  Coupled with rayprits suggestion I think that I will be able to get the model near to how they were when I was serving.  The bit about the aerials was a bit of a surprise, I suppose that Takom fitted as many as they could and left it up to the modeller to remove those not needed.  For my model I don't need any at all.  The unit only had a Landrover FFR nothing else, and when we were on detachment to, I think the Scots Greys, we caused quite a stir when they came over and gave us our call-sign and we had to tell them that the 432s we had were not equipped with radios.  It was typical of the status of the RAMC at that time.  We were always one of the last to be equipped with up to date stuff, we even had 37 pattern webbing blanco, Brasso and all!

Vesper. 

Anyone from the REME would know better than me.  I was only RAMC and just got to ride about in them.

Funnily enough two of my best mates when I was with 29 Field Ambulance were in our LAD.  When were you there? 

I was there from '67 to '70 and I know that the unit was disbanded in '77.

Thanks for all the information. 

I'm slowly putting the pieces together and there is a small detail that has so far eluded me.  From memory the unit tactical sign was 1/91, red letters on a white background placed on the left front side of the vehicle and on the right at the back.  The reason that sticks in my mind is that all the other tactical signs I saw were black and white.  Can anyone confirm my recollection and if true offer any reason why 29's marking were different?