1:72 Tamiya, ME Bf 109 E4 Helmut Wick JG 2 Kommodore November 1940 Channel front

Hi Gents , 

I present to you my Helmut Wick Me 109 E4 as it was at the time of his fate in November 1940. I must admit that my tag " BoB" is not precisely appropriate , as common agreement of end of BoB is October 1940.. Forgive me for that. Anyway, For me this scheme is interesting as it shows , in my opinion , the Luftwaffe transition move from "offensive"  scheme on aircrafts , to "defensive" one." "wind is turning" Not far from that, RAF would change for fighters from DE/DG to MG/DG scheme .. Guys, not pretend to be 100% pertinent on that 😉

So this plane camo was toned down with brush application of green all over light parts ( included yellow nose identification markings) and previous double chevrons markings were overpainted , choose to represent it with RLM 02 to stay compliant with " toned down" overall apparence . just a kind of feeling :-))

Painted with Gunze paints.

seing pictures... see that there is things to improve/clean.. 😉

On to the Pics  ! 

Any comments welcomed ! 

Hope you'll like it  !

Cheers !!

spacer.png

23011102522425890618088916.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 28

The sponge dapple is not that bad considering the scale and the overall aspect does not betray the real machine. Pics of our models are the best teachers for us. Well done François.

Salut Jean !

merci pour ton commentaire  ! 

Your'e right !! Was a " little bit " heavy handed " on my sponge activity ! was several years ago, today I would probably be more ..subtle?? :-))

Pics don't really show the way it's looks. but when it's done .. it's done  :-)) 

Always appreciate your kinds and appropriate comments . 

Merci l'ami ! A bientôt !

cheers !

Beautiful, the dappled paint looks excellent to me. As does the whole model. The weathering is excellent and perfectly in keeping with a heavily used fighter at the height of the Battle of Britain.

Richie 

22 hours ago, François Escudé said:

Hi Gents , 

I present to you my Helmut Wick Me 109 E4 as it was at the time of his fate in November 1940. I must admit that my tag " BoB" is not precisely appropriate , as common agreement of end of BoB is October 1940.. Forgive me for that. Anyway, For me this scheme is interesting as it shows , in my opinion , the Luftwaffe transition move from "offensive"  scheme on aircrafts , to "defensive" one." "wind is turning" Not far from that, RAF would change for fighters from DE/DG to MG/DG scheme .. Guys, not pretend to be 100% pertinent on that 😉

So this plane camo was toned down with brush application of green all over light parts ( included yellow nose identification markings) and previous double chevrons markings were overpainted , choose to represent it with RLM 02 to stay compliant with " toned down" overall apparence . just a kind of feeling :-))

Painted with Gunze paints.

seing pictures... see that there is things to improve/clean.. 😉

On to the Pics  ! 

Any comments welcomed ! 

Hope you'll like it  !

Cheers !!

spacer.png

23011102522425890618088916.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

thanks to all of you guys  !! 

A fine looking 109 there.  So someone in charge decided the best way to tone down the existing paint scheme decided on just spitting on some green paint and that will work?  The working minds of the ones in charge during combat time never cease to amaze me as it is always the grunts that have to live/die with these decisions, good or bad.  Great looking model and thanks for sharing.

Bonsoir Francois,

a tricky paint scheme I may undertake to do one day, but I will have to be really drunk to dare paint it.

Bottom line, you did a great job.

Using a sponge is tricky, as there is no going back if too much paint has been dabbed.... Nerves of steel needed, and all that.

Congrats on a super job.

The Tamiya 109 looks good, and I keep saying I must build one....

JR