Focke Wulf End of Days - Fw 190D-9 *Finished*

Andwil

Place holder for now.  Italeri kit and EagleCals decals for Barkhorn’s mount in the last few weeks of the war.

52615948042_1bd9513821_b.jpg

AW

Edited by Andwil
  • Like 15

Hi,

I will stand by @IanC when it comes to having built this kit many, many years ago.

It did come out pretty much at the same time than the Airfix kit, and everybody was comparing the two products.

I did not care a wit and was ever so happy with the Italian long nose.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

And we’re  off!  Sprue:

52639805559_b52acec69d_b.jpg

First impressions are not good, there is a fair amount of flash and lots of mould marks, pins and ejection towers (three per wheel!).  There are pins on the front faces of every cockpit part while the unseen rear faces are perfectly smooth.  To add to this a lot of the part edges are quite rough.  All up it looks more like a short run kit than one from a major producer.  Panel lines are quite delicately moulded except for two lines on the rear fuselage that are massive trenches.

Ok, whinge out of the way, construction starts, where else but with the cockpit:

52639986935_16423f86bf_b.jpg

just look at that ejector pin right at the seat pan/back join, impossible to get a file or sandpaper into!

Wings assembled.  Following @Enzo the Magnificent’s helpful advice I have left off the wheel well inserts parts 20 and 21.

52639037302_dcaaf4081b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 10

In the chat thread (P7), @Enzo the Magnificent said:

The wheel wells were open to the engine bay.  If you wish to go down that route, just leave off the two parts, add a firewall to the front of the cockpit (which will also prevent that see-through look) and provide a representation of the rear of the engine.

Which is very helpful and much appreciated advice.  So with that in mind, cockpit firewall:

52641889195_215d17f989_b.jpg

For a representation of the rear of the engine, I realised I could do better than represent it, I have a couple of spare Jumo engines left over from my recent Ju-88 build.

52640941532_7cc47b6e56_b.jpg

I’ll stick that in the nose and add some hoses and wires to busy it up.  Should do the trick.

AW

• Like 14

Primed the interior and most of the smaller components (along with parts for my Sea Harrier):

52644128890_b661322fef_b.jpg

52644163348_f926a37a74_b.jpg

I’ll have to reprime the spinner as I clumsily rubbed it while still wet. 

AW

• Like 4

A quick spray today of the internals, RLM 66 for the cockpit, RLM 02 inside the fuselage and wheel wells and undercarriage components, black for the engine:

52645991484_36d0692c3a_b.jpg

detail painting to follow.

Thanks for looking

AW

• Like 6

20 hours ago, 81-er said:

It might be a stoneaged kit, but you're making good progress AW :)

James

I’m a bit surprised just how basic it is.  Anyway, leaves some scope for home made improvements.  Added belts to the seat and a throttle lever to the side console and painted the instruments, crude but is not going to be very visible  anyway.

52649895429_17a0457de3_b.jpg

Wheels painted up, black for the hubs and tyre black for the, umm,tyres.

52649626101_b61f805a06_b.jpg

Also on there are the headrest/armour plate snd spinner.

The annular radiator was painted dark aluminium and given a wash of black:

52649895434_158ccdd696_b.jpg

I think I can start gluing things together now.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 9

Fuselage closed up and wings on, the wing needed some fettling to fit properly.

52652264475_abc9932aa0_b.jpg

as expected, very little of the cockpit can actually be seen.

The Jumo engine in the nose:

52652304118_be3f32238b_b.jpg

Of which not much will be seen through the wheel wells:

52652304083_53caf3f4c2_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 6

3 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

That`s not a kit anyone would love to build.

Oh I don’t know the nostalgia would be wonderful and tbh it’s probably better than my MrCraft kit ( must check on scalemates it could be the same kit )

Basic airframe now altogether.  The tailplanes are not glued in, I’ll leave them off until after painting.

52658162724_4d2fed1701_b.jpg

I’m waiting for some lead wire and soft pipes to arrive before I can start adding bits in the wheel wells.  Until then I can amuse myself with sanding seams.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Got back to this build after a few busy days.  Primed and today painted the undersides RLM 76.

52680312805_aae193b564_b.jpg

I painted the tailplanes separately, guess what I did?  Yep one of them upside down, which will need to be re-sprayed.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Got back to this build after a few busy days.  Primed and today painted the undersides RLM 76.

52680312805_aae193b564_b.jpg

I painted the tailplanes separately, guess what I did?  Yep one of them upside down, which will need to be re-sprayed.

Thanks for looking.

AW

Well botheration. ;) :D  There're worse things you could have done. 

Steve.

Completed the camouflage today, RLM82/83 with a light mottle of 83.  Also it turns out I did the tailplanes correctly after all!

52682234228_564c9febf6_b.jpg

52681216687_8e31a8cce7_b.jpg

Next up will be painting of the exhausts and guns.  I have broken one of the wing cannon off, I will look at replacing them with brass if I have a y of the right diameter.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 8

Good Progress. I stopped counting the number of times I have bent the wing cannon barrels.... It finally broke after decaling was done. I wonder the engineers who choose to design such 🙄 .... How difficult it could be to design that is easy for modelers to keep it separate and install during final steps.....

21 hours ago, Mukund SB said:

I stopped counting the number of times I have bent the wing cannon barrels....

I usually just cut them off at assembly as I’ll more than likely replace them with fine tube anyway.

lovely build btw. The standards are extremely high throughout the GB.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1