Gecko 1/16 Panzer II F how close to Ausf C ?

I am aerodeller interested in the amphibious Panzers proposed for Operation Sealion. 

I am very slowly working on a Schwimmpanzer 38(t) with non-functioning trracks as a sailing model only because the hull overhangs mean it wouyld ground entering or leaving the water.

My real passion is the Schwimmpanzer II which I believe was based on the Panzer II Ausf C.  

Back in 2016 I asked on the forum if the 1/16 Panzer II Luchs could be converted to an Ausf C - answer - a resounding NO.

I have just seen that Gecko is to produce a 1/16 Panzer II F  and would appreciate your expert advice / guidance  as to whether this can be converted to an Auf C and what the differences are - also the best drawings from which to work from.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

• Like 1

Not that close either, but, as I was hoping for from the sprue layout, they just announced an actual IIc. my main interest is the 1940 campaign so I am very happy with this release too.

They explicitly call it the French campaign. So I think we will also see a Polish campaign early C, with the round bow armour, not extra armourplate in front of it.

and then later on a wespe and a stand alone 105mm lefh? I hope so!

Thanks for your post, I had a look at Gecko's website and it seems that they are next releasing a 1/16 Panzer II Ausf rather than a C.

Is the difference between the two variants minimal (and worth waiting for a C  ?)

Paul

No, the difference between the F and the C are quite big. The F has a cupola, the C just two simple hatches, the F has a straight and uparmored front superstructure, C has a kink in it and very different vision ports.

i’d wait, give it a month or two and you will have it in your hands.

Thanks for that - unfortunately I missed a letter from, my post - It appears that the next release will be an Ausf B rather than C ,   Again, what . are the differences between a B and C.  Also dos it suggest a C will appear ?

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

The Schwimmpanzer II was built from both the Ausf. B and Ausf. C, but you will need the modified version with the bolted-on armour as used in the French Campaign, so the forthcoming Gecko kit should be the correct one if you can wait.

I found out yesterday and am thrilled to have the Gecko Ausf. F kit en route to me now to do a kit/build review.

Edited by f matthews

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 4:34 AM, Mu17 said:

Very impressive and looks very crisp - look forward tonseeing the build -please keep me in the loop, especially about the B or C.

Paul

I emailed Gecko to see when the Ausf. B would be out, but haven’t heard anything yet…

Meanwhile, here is my Ausf. F in-progress:

52895099861_8094259301_b.jpg

• Like 5

I really appreciate you chasing up Gecko and as for your Ausf F - WOW, double WOW 

Looks like I will need to pick our brains to ask for some advice.

Incidentally, I will be looking to motorise the Schwimmpanzer as a working amphibian - if I can keep the water out !

Best regards   Paul

• Like 1

Other than general knowledge, I don't know much about tanks as I am really a builder and flyer of rc gliders and used to fly full size as well. I also do a bit of model boating,

The interest in the Operation Sealion came when I restored an 18m wingspan DFS Kranich, gull-wing two-seat training glider, built in 1944. I discovered that 80 were converted to carry a palette of infanrty ammunition to resupply the first wave of German troops dropped by parachute and landed by troop gliders.

I waited ages until Panda released their 1/16 PzKpfw 38 (t) which was used with what is best described as a wrap around hull. The bow and stern overhang was excessive and that seems to be why this type of Schwimmpanzer wasn't developed further. For that reason I decided that my Schwimmpanzer 38 (t) would be built as purely a sailing model, as it would never manage to climb out of a lake or pond without grounding.

That project has been very delayed but thats proved useful as I realise that the model will be quite heavy to get it to float on the correct waterline. As you know, the main hulls of tank kits have rather narrow gluing areas and I have decided to beef that up internally with plastic angle and also internal bulkhead to ensure it can take some handling with disintegrating.

I then realised that the plastic wheel axles might break or distort when it is sat on a shelf. Consequently I will run stainless steel rods through the wheel, hull and into the side sponsons on both sides - not scale but they cannot be seen from any angle.  This means that the model can be placed into and removed from the water by grapping the sponsons on each side. The sponsons will be built of ply to cope with th handling loads.

This variant has lethal external props and steering will be by differential throttle. Due to the minimal

freeboard (height above water) of the sponsons - about 10 mm ! the electric motors will have to be built and sealed into the sponsons.

I will extend the internal turret ring upwards, using plastic-card, to raise it well as far above the water as possible. All radio, batteries etc will only be accessible through the turret.

After a whole series of false starts and flawed solutions, I now know how to do it.

However the Schwimmpanzer IIC is a different challenge as the lack of bow and stern overhang, make is a viable amphibian at model size. Some thought will be needed to ensure that the track drive shafts are waterproof.  Unlike the Schwimmpanzer 38 (t) there is no bow section, so

(non-scale)  waves will directly hit the front of the model tank and turret, with even more waterproofing challenges. I suspect they will lkeep me amused for some time !

Paul

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Any news of the Panzer II Ausf B from Gecko yet ?    

You might be interested in the motorising kit, complete with turret rotation, recoil, gun flash and I think sound, from 35tankrc.com.

Although they focus on 1/35 this is indeed for the 1/16 Gecko model and they also do a similar set for the 1/16 Panda 38(t).

Does anyone have hands on experience with their products ?

For my purpose I am concerned that much of the electronics couldn't be waterproofed became the water level would be around 5mm below the turret base and wavelets would clearly reach that point.  Installing an internal tube inside the turret as a taller upstand would keep the water out but preclude turret rotation and the fun mechanism - hey ho.

Paul

• 3 months later...

The early Ausf. Gecko Panzer II is coming out now.  I have one inbound from Gecko for a build review that should be here this week I hope.  There are now some on eBay from China available to order it looks like.

The better news is that it looks as if this will not just be the Ausf. B (modified), but will apparently offer options to build any of the the Ausfs. c, A, B and C.  Very cool!

53358710751_b581b7456b.jpg

• Like 1

Much appreciate the heads up. Is your build review for a magazine or will it be online ?  and can you flag it up when it's available ?

Are these kits likely to be around for 6 months or longer ?   after some very heavy model expenditure, I could do wit deferring a purchase but I don't want to miss one .

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1