Grumman's short-lived, supersonic, salty, single-seater: DONE!

Dermo245

Hi all,

I've a soft-spot for Naval Aviation and know @Grey Beema wouldn't let me hear the end of it if I didn't build something. So I'm in with this one which only had a service life of four years.

52618752001_4d020969cf_b.jpgHasegawa F11-F1_Tiger_Box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The second US Navy aircraft to go supersonic after the Douglas F4D Skyray, the F-11F-1 Tiger was soon replaced by the F-8 Crusader. I like how this is a little different and looking forward to  giving it a go. Plan is for OOB, all the way!

52619238688_b31859f83c_b.jpgHasegawa_F11-F1_contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, good luck with your builds and happy modelling.

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Completed!
  • Like 16

The Tiger was lovely, there was a short and long nosed version.  I think they were used by the Blue Angels too.

I part built on many years ago when attempting the history of the “Sundowners”..

Enjoy the build Dermot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I've the same boxing as this one, plus the Blue Angels one too, bought before I got this one & likely won't get built. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one though. :)

Steve.

I've been looking at the Scalemates page for this, and I reckon the Blue Angels boxing is the one that I coveted as a nipper. There was one in the window of a toy shop in my home town, but it was out of the way and I only ever passed it riding in the car. It remained unattainable :(

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 2

I may be wrong but I believe the F11F was the first plane to actually fly with the area rule applied to the fuselage from scratch - the F 102 having it added during a later re-design when it had proved incapable of breaking Mach 1.0. I built the Hasegawa one a year or so ago and they include the Grumman "supersonic" drop tanks, but apparently although they were tried, D&S says they were not a standard fit in service. so I did not use them. It's a nice looking kit.

DSC06071-crop

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6

Correction.

It was actually the Naval Fighters series book that mentioned the tanks, and also the need to add missile rails to the pylons if mounting Sidewinders, but I believe Hasegawa corrected the latter in your later boxing! Although they could carry tanks, bombs etc they were usually seen either completely "clean" or with Sidewinders, but sometimes with the pylons and rails but no missiles as I have done mine.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Tiger was my favorite a/c of the Blue Angels, they were loud and snapy. It was their plane when I seen them the first time. I missed the F4 era and was disappointed when the A4's came along. In the Thunderbirds it was the F-100's. Beautiful build Pete, great choice Dermot I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Tiger.   Cheers.     Ruben.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, firefly7 said:

The Tiger was my favorite a/c of the Blue Angels, they were loud and snapy. It was their plane when I seen them the first time. I missed the F4 era and was disappointed when the A4's came along. In the Thunderbirds it was the F-100's. Beautiful build Pete, great choice Dermot I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Tiger.   Cheers.     Ruben.

If you're into Blue Angels history, there's a great interview here with two-time Blue Angels pilot Jerry "Turkey" Tucker who flew both the F-4 Phantom II and then the A-4 Skyhawk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The decals do look well behaved. Did they get a stern talking to?

I have a kit on the shelf with very badly behaved decals that thought pretending they were on a corrugated wing would be more fun.

• Haha 3

• Dermo245 changed the title to Grumman's short-lived, supersonic, salty, single-seater: DONE!

So last bits added and she's done.

Some goofs here and there and the decals are showing their age. But I had lots of fun with it and nice to do out of box and end up with something that looks good on the shelf.

52748768991_75eff67b98_b.jpgHasegawa_F11-F1_VF-33_done(1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

52749181275_7db522c3b8_b.jpgHasegawa_F11-F1_VF-33_done(3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

52749015754_7e4b5e33b7_b.jpgHasegawa_F11-F1_VF-33_done(8) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will post some more pics in the gallery, thanks for all your comments and happy modelling.

All the best,
Dermot

• Like 10