Eduard A-6 1/48 FINISHED

franky boy

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work James, that mottling turned out very well B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks very much Stew. Yes it’s coming along ok. I’m currently doing battle with the decals. 

James

Hi Everyone

Well this week has been all about decaling. I'm not quite finished yet, just some stencils to go,  but last night I got the black checks onto the nose which was a good job to get done although slightly by seat of the pants.

All of the decals behaved pretty well. I ended up attacking most of them with some Mr Mark Setter to get them to go that final bit. The pic below I had literally finished about five minutes earlier and the checks are still settling in. There are a couple wrinkled ones where they've had to go over a blister but I'll leave these for a day or two and go back at them with some more Setter and a scalpel blade. The checks that go around the very front of the cowling were in one long strip so I seperated them out to get them to line up with the others a bit better.

52705569025_a624947055_c.jpg19835242-AB69-4D13-96D4-BCFB670BF0C8 by James Halls, on Flickr

52704628142_875c958647_c.jpgCD44B78A-E6D5-4530-8659-38305936E30D by James Halls, on Flickr

52705404054_1f1de87f29_c.jpgA73EF2D5-450A-4C39-83CB-9B2F3D0973E4 by James Halls, on Flickr

And the other decals including the Scotty dog.

52705638873_26ddd0cfca_c.jpg3001B1B3-B1F0-49F8-9D2F-A1F614FBF2F3 by James Halls, on Flickr

And one final pic with my two new best friends in the background.

52704628107_a0b4f649a6_c.jpg6C0D225D-A88F-44BF-A31E-D720B64469E3 by James Halls, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. More soon.

James

• Like 11

Looking very nice James.  The checker nose FW's always look good, it's quite strange that it's usually the black and white checks of 1 Staffel.  I don't think I've ever seen any 2 Staffel aircraft, yellow and black checks or 3 Staffel, red and black checks.  :shrug:

• Like 1

Beautiful build James and always great when the decals behave themselves. Perfect execution. Interesting that you are using the old style Gunze decal solutions. It is why I was so excited to pick up a couple of bottles of these recently. Exceptionally good gear. 

Ray

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking very nice James.  The checker nose FW's always look good, it's quite strange that it's usually the black and white checks of 1 Staffel.  I don't think I've ever seen any 2 Staffel aircraft, yellow and black checks or 3 Staffel, red and black checks.  :shrug:

Thanks Bob. I really had no idea of the different colour checks until this build. I’d just seen this marking option and wanted to build it and then in doing a bit of research discovered the others. Having said that I’ve found profiles, no actual photos. I’ve only found 2 photos of black and white checked aircraft and neither of them are my subject matter. The search continues. 

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Wow those checkers came out really well James B) That's a beautiful scheme overall, nice work mate 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. Yep it’s certainly going to stand out in the cabinet. I’ve seen other 190’s I think also from one of JG1’s squadrons with black and white striped cowlings which are now in the ‘to build’ list. 

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Beautiful build James and always great when the decals behave themselves. Perfect execution. Interesting that you are using the old style Gunze decal solutions. It is why I was so excited to pick up a couple of bottles of these recently. Exceptionally good gear. 

Ray

Thanks Ray. Agreed, always a bit of a relief. Especially as this is the make or break part of this scheme.

Decals have always been the real hit and miss part of modelling for me. I’ve found that the traditional micro set and sol don’t really cut it so I’ve been using the stronger stuff for a while now and not melted any decals yet. I’ve also ordered a bottle of the Tamiya solution that I’ve seen that you use so am looking forward to a trial with that. 

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's looking superb, James! :) Those checked decals have gone down very nice;y indeed

James

Thanks James. They certainly catch the eye. 

Thanks all. Happy modelling. 

James 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work James, the decals have gone down very well indeed especially the checks on the nose.

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig. Yep a couple of never moments with those checks but they came out ok in the end. 

James

• Like 1

7 hours ago, franky boy said:

Thanks Bob. I really had no idea of the different colour checks until this build. I’d just seen this marking option and wanted to build it and then in doing a bit of research discovered the others. Having said that I’ve found profiles, no actual photos. I’ve only found 2 photos of black and white checked aircraft and neither of them are my subject matter. The search continues. 

I have a couple of books about JG 1, the checks first appeared on A-4 variants in 1943, (I'm going to build one of these)  There was a problem when these aircraft with checked noses came into combat with some P-47 Thunderbolts that also had black and white checked nose cowls.  They then tried all white cowls then black and white striped cowls.  Strangely they went back to black and white checks on the A-6 variants and then black and white stripes on the A-7, it obviously was a busy time for aircraft painters. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, franky boy said:

Decals have always been the real hit and miss part of modelling for me.

The same here. It is why I have so many decal solutions. I do like the original Gunze mixes. The NEO just does not work like the original. I could not replace my original until recently. It is why I had to try the Tamiya mixes. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, Marklo said:

Looks really good. Those checks went in really well. My last encounter with Checks was on my P47 last year and I took the option of painting them which was headwrecking to say the least.

Thanks Mark. I did think about masking and spraying the checks but in hindsight I’m pleased I didn’t as I think my sanity would have seriously tested with there. 

23 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have a couple of books about JG 1, the checks first appeared on A-4 variants in 1943, (I'm going to build one of these)  There was a problem when these aircraft with checked noses came into combat with some P-47 Thunderbolts that also had black and white checked nose cowls.  They then tried all white cowls then black and white striped cowls.  Strangely they went back to black and white checks on the A-6 variants and then black and white stripes on the A-7, it obviously was a busy time for aircraft painters. :whistle:

Thanks for the info Bob, that’s interesting. Could you let me have the titles of the books please. I’ll try and track them down. 

4 hours ago, Mukund SB said:

Very well done 👍 The checkers have come out nice and crisp. Looks great

Thanks Mukund. They’ve been easier to apply than I had expected tbh. Varnish on next and then onto weathering. 

Thanks all. 

James

• Like 1

21 hours ago, franky boy said:

Could you let me have the titles of the books please. I’ll try and track them down. 

The books are by: Classic publications, author is Eric Mombeek and the titles are Defenders of the Reich Volumes 1, 2 & 3.

My copies were published in 2002.  They were part of the Ian Allen company but were sold many years ago.

They are available on Amazon through second hand book sellers, but they are not cheap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

The books are by: Classic publications, author is Eric Mombeek and the titles are Defenders of the Reich Volumes 1, 2 & 3.

My copies were published in 2002.  They were part of the Ian Allen company but were sold many years ago.

They are available on Amazon through second hand book sellers, but they are not cheap.

Thanks Bob. I’ll have a look around. 

James 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello chaps. It’s been a busy few weeks since I last updated this one so here goes. Actually I haven’t done a great deal just a Flory Models wash and some weathering with oils. 

I added some more mottling to the rear fuselage after decalling. 

52734195402_636f8b0f83_k.jpgC2AC583D-F8EC-461A-998F-EC80F6B1FD7F by James Halls, on Flickr

I didn’t wipe off all,the wash on the underside as I wanted to a bit of streaking. 

52735198798_dc2b2054af_k.jpg510F2802-2598-4618-95AE-3053BE7B70F8 by James Halls, on Flickr

And then added some exhaust streaks. 

52734195352_7457d61e16_k.jpgD472D826-F18A-4199-BF80-2EFB160FEBA1 by James Halls, on Flickr

52734972494_bb02cf7848_k.jpgDF7BB7AE-244F-4698-B787-B968A8B628AF by James Halls, on Flickr

Thats all for now. Onto the UC next. 

Thanks for looking. 

James

• Like 7