Eduard A-6 1/48 FINISHED

franky boy

Hello chaps

I’d like to enter with an Eduard A-6 in 1/48 scale. I built their A-8 a year or two ago and remember what a nice it was so this should be very similar. 

52619526351_053697a139_k.jpg8E2BC75E-122C-4BE0-963F-BA36FEE6DE65 by James Halls, on Flickr

I have to admit that I’ve been completely hooked by the box art on this one and as such this is the scheme I’ll be building the kit in. Ive recently finished reading Jame Holland’s Big Week book which a great read so am in the zone to build something from roughly about this time frame and to do with the daylight bomber offensive one way or another. This aircraft being based in Holland with 1/JG1 in August 1943. 

52619792179_39b44f7365_k.jpg188F23C5-DD36-4C6D-82CC-D6EE46875442 by James Halls, on Flickr

And the plastic. All very nice!

52619013207_6091c03c95_k.jpg7679AFF6-CFAF-4336-AB93-11693FA9A324 by James Halls, on Flickr

Anyway. Thanks for looking and see you all at the start. 

James

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello and welcome to the build James. A fine choice here and it should stick out in the display with that cowling. 

Thanks Dennis. Yes it certainly should stand out amongst the greys and greens. 

9 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Cool really like the chequerboard scheme. Welcome to the GB.

Thanks Mark. Looking forward to getting started.

Just need to get my Meteor finished first. 

James

12 hours ago, franky boy said:

Just need to get my Meteor finished first. 

Tell me about it I want to finish my Meteors, my prototypes and my KUTA builds before next week too. Now I have finished my Heinkel and the Hetzer, little Willie Taube and Fokker V4 are all literally a whisker away from done in fact I may get them finished today, 

You do know that  the meteor GB deadline has been extended to the end of January btw.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Tell me about it I want to finish my Meteors, my prototypes and my KUTA builds before next week too. Now I have finished my Heinkel and the Hetzer, little Willie Taube and Fokker V4 are all literally a whisker away from done in fact I may get them finished today, 

You do know that  the meteor GB deadline has been extended to the end of January btw.

Hi Mark

Yes I saw that it had been extended. TBH I’m not that far off, it’s just getting a chance to sit down and do it around work, wife and children. First world problems hey!!

Good luck with yours. That’s quite a list!

James 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Chaps

I made a small start on what will be hopefully my first 190 over past couple of days.

I got all of the cockpit parts off of their sprues, cleaned up and painted using Tamiya German grey. And then all of the photo etched parts attached. And then some of it re attached after I'd knocked it off! The tub looks pretty nice and just needs a wash and dry brush.

52661772305_500c9b6521_c.jpg716E2375-EEC4-4712-8AFB-C1E768C5A13F by James Halls, on Flickr

The lower part of the instrument panel looks quite good to with various levers and bits attached. This probably needs a wash just to knock it back a bit.

52661328086_7e4b581420_c.jpg1DC653BC-D921-4B29-9F21-28E7322C0E5C by James Halls, on Flickr

Same applies to the top section and gun sight.

52661819128_4bd1394b95_c.jpg94DC1F1C-FF1B-49F9-B229-FD6694C44C38 by James Halls, on Flickr

I used the moulded plastic handle as some others have done for the more 3 D effect rather than the etch part. Am I right in thinking that this is the handle to open and close the canopy?

52661328096_9258cb781e_c.jpgA2E26919-C7FA-4AB0-BCF9-9D22DD8E095B by James Halls, on Flickr

I also sprayed up the front of the engine with AK Xtreme metal metallic smoke and gave it a dry brush with some Gunze dark iron. That will be enough for this part as it will be pretty invisible once installed in the fuselage halves.

52661328026_d698e01215_c.jpgE0E3D427-EC49-4AA8-8532-804225CA468B by James Halls, on Flickr

Thats all for now. Onto washes and dry brusking next.

James

• Like 12

Looking good James, and very pleased to see another example of doggo-nose-art B) We were just discussing that subject in one of @Retired Bob's threads :) 

A Scottish Terrier too! Great dogs, though obviously inferior to Westies :D 

That cockpit is looking great, by the way :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

8 hours ago, franky boy said:

Am I right in thinking that this is the handle to open and close the canopy?

Sure is. Also, the tab on the right hand side of the crank handle was the canopy emergency release. I love the clean layout of the 190 cockpit. 

Nice start James, exceptionally neat work. Looking forward to your next steps.

Ray

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Looking good James, and very pleased to see another example of doggo-nose-art B) We were just discussing that subject in one of @Retired Bob's threads :) 

A Scottish Terrier too! Great dogs, though obviously inferior to Westies :D 

That cockpit is looking great, by the way :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. Yes I read that discussion. It’s a nice bit of artwork although I have to say I’m more of a Jack Russell man. We have two of them (although I have known a few Westies and they’re great too😀). 

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Sure is. Also, the tab on the right hand side of the crank handle was the canopy emergency release. I love the clean layout of the 190 cockpit. 

Nice start James, exceptionally neat work. Looking forward to your next steps.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Much appreciated.

Agree with your comment on the cockpit layout. At least to the relatively untrained eye it looks like a step forward from the 109. 

James

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, franky boy said:

I’m more of a Jack Russell man. We have two of them... 

I grew up with Jack Russells, my folks always had at least a pair and often three at a time; I like them, some people say they have a bit of a reputation for being snappy, but I never found them to be so :) My Dad's still got a pair of terriers, but now it's a Jack Russell cross and a Patterdale.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I grew up with Jack Russells, my folks always had at least a pair and often three at a time; I like them, some people say they have a bit of a reputation for being snappy, but I never found them to be so :) My Dad's still got a pair of terriers, but now it's a Jack Russell cross and a Patterdale.

Cheers,

Stew

We had one Jack Russell in particular growing up who was a lunatic. He could’ve got into a fight in an empty room and so on! We still wonder how he made it to 16. The others we’ve had since have all been lovely dogs. 

James 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ngantek said:

The cockpit is looking really sharp. Nice start! It's almost like the engine casting is a level below the rest of the kit, I guess Eduard are expecting it to be worth the effort either.

Andy

Thanks Andy

Agreed it does look a bit of an afterthought. But once it’s all put together you can barely see it behind the prop and cooling fan. 

James

Nice start there, James :)

I'd also agree on the engine, but I'm assuming after their previous tooling was slammed for being too complex they went the easy root. After all, they can always sell you a fnacy resin engine if you want more detail, or to have the engine exposed ;)

James

• Like 1

Hi everyone 

Another quick update on the cockpit before the fuselage halves go together. 

After all the PE had been stuck on everything had a wash. This was followed by a matte coat and some dry brushing with light grey and dark iron. My pot of Tamiya flat clear had gone a horrible brown colour so I ended up using some Vallejo model colour matte. I haven’t used this stuff for ages and had forgotten how nicely it sprays with a bit of flow improver. Anyway onto the pics. 

Cockpit tub -

52663535641_8c2749f16e_k.jpgDF33554D-57CF-4C69-A879-F38FC7ADDABC by James Halls, on Flickr

52664030483_a7609d231a_k.jpgC7FAB60B-4BE6-42FD-B819-83DA856A6D2E by James Halls, on Flickr

Side walls -

52663033017_751e91f40f_k.jpgFC1D649A-BC7F-4DCD-9F5E-E929F30282B3 by James Halls, on Flickr

And ip’s and gunsight-

52663535731_db6a2a8429_k.jpgA02B1691-C50E-47B2-891C-6F879A0B8FB9 by James Halls, on Flickr

I may do a bit more work on the etch as I’m finding it still a bit bright. After that it’s fuselage halves together and onto the wings. 

Thanks for looking 

James

• Like 10

20 hours ago, franky boy said:

Thanks for looking

Hi James,

I felt if you went any closer with your zoom I would of been chewing on the parts.  Made me feel young again. Took off the glasses and just look at the bits with the naked eyes. Seriously though, very nice work and exceptionally neat and tidy. I like it.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Haha 1