Airfix F-35B new tool

thepureness

I am looking forward to this kit. The subject is not one I would normally choose, but I think I will branch out this time. A nice, easy build will be good, then, if I find I am converted, I can go for the new 'proper' kit that may well find it's way into the catalogue at a later date.

If it does turn out to be an easy build and gets younger (or older 'new') modellers into the hobby, that will be a big win for Airfix.

Ray

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about the lack of 1/72 releases this year. In this weeks Sprue Talk Q&A Dale responded to a question about this and said they had prioritised some 1/48 projects to bring them to market before their competitors and had not abandoned 1/72. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/10/2023 at 9:11 PM, Procopius said:

Because there are like, fifty people, myself included, in the world who both (a) know what a Gloster Javelin is, and (b) want to build a specifically 1/72 kit of it. 

And the other 48 also hang out on Britmodeller.....😆

Edited by IanHx
  • Haha 7

They make the point about the RAM tape represention on other kits not being great but, from the test build, they have decided to represent them with deep panel lines which, to me at least, is an even worse representation than the raised detail k other kits.  A weird choice. Surely decals would be more realistic looking.

• Like 1

Am I imaging a large dihedral on the tailplane of the Airfix CAD model?

I'm pretty sure the real thing, being a stealthy aircraft, does not have dihedral.

However photos can be a bit misleading, even of the real thing. A bit of downward incidence on the TP can give the impression of dihedral when it's not there, but I don't think that's what's happening with the Airfix model.

Any thoughts Britmodellers?

Regards,

Keith.

I find that thing so ugly it reminds me of a few poorer choices I made whilst on shore leave 🥴

But, if it gets the younglings into this hobby of ours then it can only be a good thing.

• Haha 7

Looking at the airfix blog it looks like a nice kit, Hasegawa make a F-35 with all the bombays molded shut for those who want a simple build and the airfix kit is bound to be cheaper and easier to find, will definitely pick one up .

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 5:19 AM, NAVY870 said:

I find that thing so ugly it reminds me of a few poorer choices I made whilst on shore leave 🥴

But, if it gets the younglings into this hobby of ours then it can only be a good thing.

Try building it wearing beer goggles, could improve how you see it.

• Haha 7

On 2/27/2023 at 5:19 AM, NAVY870 said:

Yep, never went to bed with an ugly bird.........woke up with a few.....

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Some intelligent design here: it shouldn't be difficult for novice modellers to make a decent representation of something they might see flying around or on the news. From such acorns...

And that's the point of this kit. It's not aimed at the more seasoned modeller; it's aimed at the more novice builder. In fact, the workbench blog states a number of times that this is the target audence. I get the impression that the novices that this kit is aimed at would not give a fig how thick the trailing edge is (more than likely they wouldn't even know!)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Some intelligent design here: it shouldn't be difficult for novice modellers to make a decent representation of something they might see flying around or on the news. From such acorns...

This.  It sits between the quickbuilder 'lego' type range and the more complex range.  I can see the traders at airshows selling boxloads.  It's been designed to perfectly fit the experience and skills of that target audience.  Most modellers here take weeks and months to build ever more exensive models, but forget the excitment and desire of a typical 8 year old to build a kit in a single day and fly it around the living room by tea-time.  :)

Even as a more experienced builder, I quite fancy building one as a desk trophy - it looks rugged enough to put up with regular 'play' during teams meetings, and will make an excellent mojo build :)

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

With all the little moulding nodules it ought to come with a pair of plastic snippers and a small emery stick, to start off the youngsters' tool kits. 

If I were ten again I'd probably be twiddling or biting them off, with varying degrees of success.

Wouldn't mind seeing 1/32nd scale kits with this type of parts count. Sometimes you just want the shape with a bit of heft, not some overly complicated detail fest.  

Tony 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, tangerine_sedge said:

It's been designed to perfectly fit the experience and skills of that target audience.  Most modellers here take weeks and months to build ever more exensive models, but forget the excitment and desire of a typical 8 year old to build a kit in a single day and fly it around the living room by tea-time.  :)

.......and thats how most of us started with the hobby.

I'm very happy to see this in the catalogue - I hope it sells well and encourages the youngsters to join us.

Q

• Like 4