Airfix F-35B new tool

thepureness

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

If it's accurate and the surface detail is reasonable then this is still an attractive proposition to serious modellers that might want to do a straightforward build, say in flight or parked.

Or do several sqn markings from all operating users. Jussayin'.  That's 10x Starter kit money against Tamigawa-style money. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The F-35 will likely be the world's most important aircraft for the next 30 years, no surprise that more than one company want to have in their catalogue, it will sell very well for many years. Something that other types will never do..

What I find more surprising is the choice of a simplified kit instead of a "standard" one. Will the standard kit follow?

Even more surprising is that a simplified kit is the only real new tool in 1/72 scale for 2023! I'd have expected something more.

A bold statement there, worlds most important aircraft...

Do you think it will last that long?

This kit looks like it doesnt have the internal weapons bay.

3 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Given that any potential replacement for it hasn't even flown yet, and that aircraft development cycles take north of twenty years these days, it should last a long time even if you think it's a piece of crap. 

5 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I'd imagine not, same as the Hasegawa kit. Greatly simplifies construction if your target audience is newer/first-time builders.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Given that any potential replacement for it hasn't even flown yet, and that aircraft development cycles take north of twenty years these days, it should last a long time even if you think it's a piece of crap. 

I'd imagine not, same as the Hasegawa kit. Greatly simplifies construction if your target audience is newer/first-time builders.

First I seriously doubt its replacement hadnt already been thought about as the first one was being built.

Im just not sure it will last that long because of the changing environment at the minute.

Thanks for your imagined confirmation. it was... 

The market for this, like the starter kits Reds Hawk and Spitfire, is Joe public and little Johnny at RIAT, Cosford etc who watch the aircraft and then want a model to take home with them, I'm aware that at several shows this year following Blackjacks display the Airfix team were constantly being asked for a model of the aircraft, they could have sold thousands there and then. 

The F-35 starter fills that market. 

• Like 7

I don't know why people are questioning this as a starter kit, their are plenty of outlets, from high street stores to IWM Duxford that tend only to stock starter kits. I would see this as being an attractive item in such markets.

@sniperUKJJust best me to it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

First I seriously doubt its replacement hadnt already been thought about as the first one was being built.

Im just not sure it will last that long because of the changing environment at the minute.

Thanks for your imagined confirmation. it was... 

You are saying this even as the F-16 and F-15 have been in service for close to 40 years. The B-52 won’t go out of service until the late 2040s, nearly 100 years after its first flight and all the remaining active airframes date to the late 1950s or early 60s. The USAF is just now starting to re-engine the remaining B-52s in active service. The F-4 Phantom was in service over 60 years. I could go on … but I won’t.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

The market for this, like the starter kits Reds Hawk and Spitfire, is Joe public and little Johnny at RIAT, Cosford etc who watch the aircraft and then want a model to take home with them, I'm aware that at several shows this year following Blackjacks display the Airfix team were constantly being asked for a model of the aircraft, they could have sold thousands there and then. 

This is exactly the point. It wouldn’t be a surprise if there’s a starter set Typhoon FGR.4 next year

• Like 3

I'm not normally into "blowtorches", but if the conversion to an F-35A is reasonably easy, and RCAF decals can be found or adapted, I might be interested. And TBH, the reduced complexity of a "starter kit" is actually a positive to me - I've got enough foolishly-complicated stalled builds littering my work surface already.

John

• Like 5

It’s a good way for Airfix to service its traditional kids market, when the centre of gravity of the overall market is now older, seeking more detail and paying more for it.

i built the spitfire Vc starter kit with the boy. tbh in terms of parts it’s really not much different to a 1970s Airfix kit, but more accurately moulded. 

As you say, there already several “full fat” 1/72 F35s, so why compete directly with those?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

You are saying this even as the F-16 and F-15 have been in service for close to 40 years. The B-52 won’t go out of service until the late 2040s, nearly 100 years after its first flight and all the remaining active airframes date to the late 1950s or early 60s. The USAF is just now starting to re-engine the remaining B-52s in active service. The F-4 Phantom was in service over 60 years. I could go on … but I won’t.

F-117 got to 27 years from first flight to retirement.

Im sorry if I upset you guys with that, I just thought it was a bold statement to make considering the changing nature of the battlefields these days.

There is more than a little method to Airfix's madness, for the reasons others have given. 42 parts is not too "simplified". The old YF-22 kit had about 50 parts, and looking at the instructions, there was scope for tooling it with even less parts, although that aircraft didn't have the extra engine the F-35B has.

The acid test for me personally will be basic accuracy. If initial reports are favourable on that score, I might well be tempted. As a rule, I don't have much interest in the current generation of combat jets, but I could be persuaded to change my mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

F-117 got to 27 years from first flight to retirement.

Im sorry if I upset you guys with that, I just thought it was a bold statement to make considering the changing nature of the battlefields these days.

That had more to do with the limited capabilities of the aircraft compared to its proposed replacement, the F-35. In addition, there were only 64 built and it was too expensive to maintain a supply chain to keep them flying, although a few remain in limited service. The US alone plans to buy nearly 2500 F-35s and its projected service life is into the 2070s, so well over 50 years.

• Like 2

Well at least the RAM tape doesn't look 2" thick like most other F-35 kits. Staring at the video I think the tape outline is actually engraved which would make it easy to mask off. I think this is an excellent move by Airfix who are listening to their main target audience - sorry guys that's not us.

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Yes, it will last that long, actually even more than 30 years, as others have said.

That is not surprising considering that the F-16 for example is entering its 45th year of production...

The matter of a "changing battlefield" is really no issue.. afterall the same F-16 mentioned above was developed and first flew when air warfare was very, very different from today and yet the platform evolved because the design incorporated a good degree of growth potential. The F-35 has been designed with a lot of potential for future development so it will not be difficult to adapt it to whatever change the future will bring (unless we imagine completely revolutionary technologies that however are nowhere to be seen yet).

Not only that, the F-35 in many aspects is well ahead of certain changes we're seeing today as it's the result of concepts of which these changes are just a facet.

Last but not least regarding my definition of most important combat aircraft of the next 30 years: how many similarly modern types do you know that have been built in pover 800 units with an order book of 400 and another 1,000 expected to be ordered ? The F-35 will be the mainstay of "Western" air forces for many years, with NATO expected to be almost entirely equipped with the type within a few years. No other aircraft in production or on the drawing board promises to be as important in the next decades

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Gordon J said:

I am sure it will be a great kit, as the Italeri and Tamiya ones are, but my God the F-35 has all the sex appeal of a lawnmower or an iron!

Oh I dont know, the Italeri kit of the F-35B looks quite nice.
Im thinking F-35B because of the FAA version, which is why I would have expected something a little more than a basic kit without any of the internal weapons bays.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Yes, it will last that long, actually even more than 30 years, as others have said.

That is not surprising considering that the F-16 for example is entering its 45th year of production...

The matter of a "changing battlefield" is really no issue.. afterall the same F-16 mentioned above was developed and first flew when air warfare was very, very different from today and yet the platform evolved because the design incorporated a good degree of growth potential. The F-35 has been designed with a lot of potential for future development so it will not be difficult to adapt it to whatever change the future will bring (unless we imagine completely revolutionary technologies that however are nowhere to be seen yet).

Not only that, the F-35 in many aspects is well ahead of certain changes we're seeing today as it's the result of concepts of which these changes are just a facet.

Last but not least regarding my definition of most important combat aircraft of the next 30 years: how many similarly modern types do you know that have been built in pover 800 units with an order book of 400 and another 1,000 expected to be ordered ? The F-35 will be the mainstay of "Western" air forces for many years, with NATO expected to be almost entirely equipped with the type within a few years. No other aircraft in production or on the drawing board promises to be as important in the next decades

I would think the Typhoon replacement will having something to say about that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sniperUK said:

The market for this, like the starter kits Reds Hawk and Spitfire, 

I've got the Hawk kit, and whilst it's simplified, it's also a very nice kit - fit is spot on, panel lines are crisp and it's pretty accurate. The simplification means things like no pitot, jet pipe or nose light. I suspect  that the F-35 will be similar, with many of the smaller details being moulded solid or missing. I do note it seems to have a separate lift fan intake on the test shots.

2 of the 42 parts will be the stand

Edited by Dave Fleming

58 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I would think the Typhoon replacement will having something to say about that.

Considering that the Typhoon has seen less sales to date than the more recent F-35, I doubt that the Typhoon replacement will ever match the numbers of the American aircraft. It will at best be as the Typhoon, an alternative contender for a limited number of customers

• Like 3

15 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Sure, there's a market for this and I've nothing against kits designed for a "kids" market, afterall I'm still a huge fan of the Hobbyboss easy-kits myself.

However.....

15 hours ago, Paul821 said:

I don't know why people are questioning this as a starter kit, their are plenty of outlets, from high street stores to IWM Duxford that tend only to stock starter kits. I would see this as being an attractive item in such markets.

@sniperUKJJust best me to it.

14 hours ago, wombat said:

It’s a good way for Airfix to service its traditional kids market, when the centre of gravity of the overall market is now older, seeking more detail and paying more for it.

i built the spitfire Vc starter kit with the boy. tbh in terms of parts it’s really not much different to a 1970s Airfix kit, but more accurately moulded. 

As you say, there already several “full fat” 1/72 F35s, so why compete directly with those?

So does this mean that we now have to see 1/72 kits as aimed at beginner modellers and kids only ? Most important, is Airfix moving toward the direction of offering simplified kits in 1/72 while at the same time offering detailed 1/48 kits of relatively niche subjects for the more "advanced" modellers ?

With the Spitfire and the Hawk Airfix offered two simplified alternatives to kits that were also present in their catalogue in "standard" form, so the presence of these starter kits was an addition to the overall range. Now the availability of a certain subject in starter form only is something new, at least for aircraft models. Does this mean Airfix will reduce their commitment to "proper" 1/72 kits ? Does this mean the market is more receptive to Airfix starter kits than to their standard kits ? Or maybe the profit with the starter kits is higher ? In any case, these are IMHO not great signs.

P.S. but if we are all so happy that kids can have a simplified kit of the latest RAF mount, why was the Hobbyboss Typhoon always rubbished here ???

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

So does this mean that we now have to see 1/72 kits as aimed at beginner modellers and kids only ? Most important, is Airfix moving toward the direction of offering simplified kits in 1/72 while at the same time offering detailed 1/48 kits of relatively niche subjects for the more "advanced" modellers ?

I think their very recent (3 mths ago?) Meteor F.8 kit, plus certain announced re-releases (Buccaneer etc) still shows Airfixs' commitment to detailed 1:72nd kits, just none announced for the coming year, not too much to read in to that I reckon.

There is no new 1:24 kit, but I wouldn't read that as them giving up on that scale. 

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

So does this mean that we now have to see 1/72 kits as aimed at beginner modellers and kids only ?

Just a guess from my end: they know doing a full (or as AFX call it 'classic') kit would have put it up against the Hasetamitaleri offerings, this way they can both bring an F-35B to the table and for a nice price point suitable for a good chunk of the target audience.

The (club) Meteor, reworked Mosquito, Spit Mk.Vc, Bucc, and re-released Wimpy, Harrier, Zero, Gnat, B-25, Tempest and Lanc make eleven 1/72 kits from the 'normal' range so where the deduction 'beginner modellers and kids only' comes from needs some explanation, I'm afraid.

[edit]

Just going through the site: 14 (!)  1/72  offerings, and 7x 1/48 making 21 normal kits.   
I guess we can safely say that's quite a statement to the opposite.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Sure, there's a market for this and I've nothing against kits designed for a "kids" market, afterall I'm still a huge fan of the Hobbyboss easy-kits myself.

However.....

With the Spitfire and the Hawk Airfix offered two simplified alternatives to kits that were also present in their catalogue in "standard" form, so the presence of these starter kits was an addition to the overall range. Now the availability of a certain subject in starter form only is something new, at least for aircraft models. Does this mean Airfix will reduce their commitment to "proper" 1/72 kits ? Does this mean the market is more receptive to Airfix starter kits than to their standard kits ? Or maybe the profit with the starter kits is higher ? In any case, these are IMHO not great signs.

P.S. but if we are all so happy that kids can have a simplified kit of the latest RAF mount, why was the Hobbyboss Typhoon always rubbished here ???

It seems pretty clear that Airfix has already reduced its commitment to 1 72. Just one kit last year and a simplified starter kit this year.