Airfix F-35B new tool

thepureness

Starter set, expected release: Spring 2023 - 1/72 - ref. A55010 - Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II

https://uk.airfix.com/products/starter-set-lockheed-martin-f-35b-lightning-ii-a55010

"Airfix steps in modern aviation with the RAF and FAA latest fighter aircraft in 1/72nd scale, introducing the newly tooled Lockheed Martin® F-35®B Lightning II® Starter Set, designed by senior designer Paramjit for all skill levels.

Introduced to encourage people into the modelling hobby we all know and love, while this kit has not been designed for the advanced modeller, it is sure to provide modelling fun no matter your skill level.

The kit includes:

• 46 parts

• 1 scheme

• x6 Acrylic paints

• x1 Poly cement

• x2 Brush

• x1 Shadow stand"

F35B.png

The same F-35B kit will be included in the two future following Gift Sets:

- ref. A50191 -  617 Sqn. Dambusters 80th Anniversary

https://uk.airfix.com/products/dambusters-80th-anniversary-gift-set-a50191

a50191-1.webp

- ref. A50190 Supermarine Spitfire & F-35B Lightning II 'Then and Now'

https://uk.airfix.com/products/then-and-now-spitfire-mkvc-f-35b-lightning-ii-a50190

a50190-1.webp

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

So all Airfix have to offer in the 1/72 new tool in 2023 is a starter kit (42 parts) of the F-35B !!!!!!  Tamiya and Italeri already do a serious 1/72 F-35B - so no serious 1/72 new tool at all!!!!  First time in how many years?

Really!!???!!!!  It is time to replace the staff that make decisions. 

Everything else is a rebox or change of parts.... very disappointed 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Are we sure it's a new-tool and not the Academy F-35B re-boxed?

Dale has said that this is aimed at a specific market and is a starter set, hence the limted parts.

Im sure this will still build into a good representation.

5 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

Unless the Academy kit has 42 parts and comes with a shadow stand, yes.

3 minutes ago, Hardtarget said:

Dale has said that this is aimed at a specific market and is a starter set, hence the limted parts.

Im sure this will still build into a good representation.

My mistake, then.

Mike.

Another one on the stockpile ! It is like the enormous amount of good F-14's on the market ! I don't know why a new tool of a kit already available in many other brands although we are still waiting for a good n new 1/72 kit of A Gloster Javelin, A Supermarine Scimitar or a good Sea Vixen... We will wait until Nuremberg to see if other mainstream kit producers are more imaginative !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Violet Club said:

Another one on the stockpile ! It is like the enormous amount of good F-14's on the market ! I don't know why a new tool of a kit already available in many other brands although we are still waiting for a good n new 1/72 kit of A Gloster Javelin, A Supermarine Scimitar or a good Sea Vixen... We will wait until Nuremberg to see if other mainstream kit producers are more imaginative !

The F-35 will likely be the world's most important aircraft for the next 30 years, no surprise that more than one company want to have in their catalogue, it will sell very well for many years. Something that other types will never do..

What I find more surprising is the choice of a simplified kit instead of a "standard" one. Will the standard kit follow?

Even more surprising is that a simplified kit is the only real new tool in 1/72 scale for 2023! I'd have expected something more.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

That's up to the board, and so far they have no problems with what Airfix is doing. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

So all Airfix have to offer in the 1/72 new tool in 2023 is a starter kit (42 parts) of the F-35B !!!!!!  Tamiya and Italeri already do a serious 1/72 F-35B - so no serious 1/72 new tool at all!!!!  First time in how many years?

Everything else is a rebox or change of parts.... very disappointed 

As someone who has small kids who want to build models like their dad, I welcome Airfix kits like this. 

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Violet Club said:

Because there are like, fifty people, myself included, in the world who both (a) know what a Gloster Javelin is, and (b) want to build a specifically 1/72 kit of it. Whereas the F-35B is flown by the militaries of three of the world's richest countries and can regularly be seen at airshows..

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Are we being harsh on this release?  If it's accurate and the surface detail is reasonable then this is still an attractive proposition to serious modellers that might want to do a straightforward build, say in flight or parked.   Perhaps even a build where one can practice a bit of detailing with the addition of a decent a/m seat or cockpit and opening panels up.

I would probably build one of these as I'm not a big enough fan of the F-35, but interested enough for a quick and straightfoward build.

Airfix have obviously identified a market for this amongst novices, which maybe the other manufacturers kits miss out on.  

• Like 5

What's wrong with a knock together, paint it grey build?

We have so many complex jet kits available which arguably take too long to build for many people's tastes.

If anything this may be where Airfix find a gap in the market - the high end kits have been catered already.

• Like 9