Arado Ar-199 Floatplane, RS Models, 1/72

2996 Victor

Following our Leader's plea for a little Arado floatplane, I somewhat foolishly put my hand up with the offer to build this, the RS Models offering of the Arado Ar-199 ("early version" - whatever that means!). Now, I know next-to-nothing about these little aeroplanes, and as I don't really intend to wipe the bloom off my cherished ignorance it'll be built largely OOB (although I don't expect I'll be able to resist adding to the interior detail :D).

Of the marking schemes provided I really prefer the box-top example, but unfortunately it operated off a fresh-water lake :( ergo, it'll have to be either of the others both of which appear to have had briny boots. It looks like Kora do a beaching trolley arrangement, so I may end up with one of those at some point.

More when the plastic turns up!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/01/2023 at 19:33, AliGauld said:

Another one Mark,

You are either totally and utterly mad or a machine. :D

I'm not certain which.

Cheers,

Alistair

Totally and utterly mad it is, Alistair - I'm really going to have to get my finger out :rofl:

Cheers,

Mark 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks :) I've read somewhere recently that a seaplane is basically two boats with a free airplane attached :D 

Exactly. If it goes under water from AA gun fire, it´s a uboat where wings become diving planes. :snorkle:

• Haha 1

Right-ho, time for some more piccies of this beastie!

More box:

IMG-20230127-110843700.jpg

IMG-20230127-110853833.jpg

As I think I mentioned, scheme 1 is the most attractive in my opinion, however, that aeroplane operated from a freshwater lake! Ergo, either of schemes 2 or 3, depending on how lazy I'm feeling and whether I can be bothered to paint a splinter pattern :D 

Sprues, front and back - there are two sprues with one fuselage half is moulded on each. However, the half on the bigger sprue has detached itself.

IMG-20230127-110545861.jpg

IMG-20230127-110604493.jpg

IMG-20230127-110620443.jpg

IMG-20230127-110638876.jpg

Sorry the pics are a bit murky. The external surface detail is really nice and I'm most impressed. The internal detail, perhaps less so as what there is looks a bit chunky, eg the control columns. No sidewall details at all, which could of course be absolutely correct.

Instructions consist of one sheet of A4 folded in half with a parts map and exploded diagrams. Nice and easy to follow :) Decals and transparency, also a small sheet of etch.

IMG-20230127-110744476.jpg

IMG-20230127-110751710.jpg

All-in-all, it looks like a nice kit :) So: a question. What is the likely interior colour for a Luftwaffe trainer? 

More soon, my salty friends!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 5

Hi Mark,

I would suggest RLM66 for cockpit interior for airplanes after 1941, according to Michael Ullmann's book - https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Michael-Ullmann+Oberflächenschutzverfahren-und-Anstrichstoffe-der-deutschen-Luftfahrtindustrie-und/id/A029B3yu01ZZM - couldn't find the title in English, sorry.

Best of luck with your build!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, flashlight said:

Hi Mark,

I would suggest RLM66 for cockpit interior for airplanes after 1941, according to Michael Ullmann's book - https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Michael-Ullmann+Oberflächenschutzverfahren-und-Anstrichstoffe-der-deutschen-Luftfahrtindustrie-und/id/A029B3yu01ZZM - couldn't find the title in English, sorry.

Best of luck with your build!

That's absolutely brilliant, thank you! RLM66 it shall be :) 

I think it should be a nice kit, looking at it, although the struts for the floats may be a bit of a job!

Thanks again and all the best,

Mark 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 4:04 PM, 2996 Victor said:

the RS Models offering of the Arado Ar-199 ("early version" - whatever that means!). Now, I know next-to-nothing about these little aeroplanes, 

Of the marking schemes provided I really prefer the box-top example, but unfortunately it operated off a fresh-water lake :( ergo, 

hi Mark,

..just caught up with this - I think Huw Morgan built one recently in SAM. 'TJ+HL' was the V-3 prototype and assigned to an air-sea rescue unit operating over Norway/Finland. It was lost on August 14-15 1942 on Lake Urdozero attempting to rescue a shot-down German crew from 13.(Z)/JG 5. It was not recovered until 1994 - story in Jet & Prop 6/94 and Girbig's JG 5 book. There are a few pics at a link not a million miles from here...😉

• Thanks 1