AW Siskin IIIA, J8933, No. 29 Sqn, RAF Duxford, 1928.

The forty years old Matchbox kit and the first biplane I’ve attempted. Pretty much oob apart from some wires for rigging, and a little instrument panel and wire bracing in the cockpit which you can barely see.

Because of its size I hand painted this one, just Tamiya silver mostly with Tamiya olive green nose and gunmetal engine.

The decals broke up a bit so had to be very carefully slid off, with some needing a bit of coaxing back together. I’m fairly pleased with the overall result for my first inter-war biplane anyway. All comments and advice welcome as always.

7-E9-CD3-FE-005-C-4-FD3-B2-DD-674-B85-B0

401596-F0-D0-C8-420-E-A800-F9422-A6839-F

6-BD82-DCE-D3-B7-43-D7-8-C24-3560-B4-FB8

3-D605717-667-E-459-E-932-E-71327-C12027

FAAC553-B-D36-A-4-C46-9-E83-81621213-D98

7-FDE956-E-E465-4008-9-D2-F-D88574-FB77-

7-C9-BA5-E2-6477-49-AC-881-E-9-A9670-C82

0-DD4-B2-E1-0-ED4-48-F5-8-B6-E-C17735553

• Like 38

Very nice indeed , i have one made up in the same markings , for your next bi plane build may i suggest Halfords Grey Primer followed by 2 coats of Humbrol polished Aluminium , works every time for a flawless silver finish even  when using a brush .  :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice result for your first 'silver wings' model! That Matchbox Siskin is a cracking little kit; it's a great shame that it hasn't (to my knowledge) been reissued by another manufacturer, as was the case with Revell's reissue of the Fury.

3 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

for your next bi plane build may i suggest Halfords Grey Primer followed by 2 coats of Humbrol polished Aluminium , works every time for a flawless silver finish even  when using a brush

Wot Keith said! Definitely 2 coats of Polished Aluminium to get a smoother, deeper finish, although I find that the more recent tins of Humbrol PA seem to be less easy to brush-paint (and airbrush) with than the original formula. I use the aerosol in 2 coats over Halfords grey primer.

Silver finishes can be deceptive: you think that they're smooth, but when you come to applying the decals the carrier film can be really obvious; applying a gloss coat - such as a couple of coats of Future/Klear - generally solves this issue as it does with matt paints. I like to apply a final top coat of Humbrol Matt Cote to give a nice (to my eye) representation of silver doped fabric.

Keep it up - I'm looking forward to seeing the 74 Sqn Gauntlet (and getting round to working on another 'silver wings' model myself)!

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:23 AM, Jonners said:

it's a great shame that it hasn't (to my knowledge) been reissued by another manufacturer,

Be careful what you wish for. It has been kitted by Kora recently - by most accounts an inferior kit to the Matchbox one

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235063964-172-armstrong-whitworth-siskin-mkiii-by-kora-models-released/

Well done @Lord Riot on your first biplane. It looks good - do a few more!

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 1:41 AM, Lord Riot said:

I’m fairly pleased with the overall result for my first inter-war biplane anyway.

You've every right to be, that has come up a treat. I sold my one of these ages ago & then when I started seeing how well it built on here, I went & paid a heap more for another. :shrug: Yours just reinforces the wisdom in that. 👍

Steve.

• Thanks 1