3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Given the proposed interior decorations, will the in flight meals be 1970's style curry, rice, poppadoms and cheap lager? (Asking for a fiend)

Exhaust gases will be collected to super-charge the engine😈

• Haha 5

there is a tale told by some loose mouth folk down  Arkansas way that it was a very distant relative , a Cledus Zebadiah Cornpone Melchett, 4th cousin of his 2nd Uncle twice removed on The Generals  Grans side that heard about the exploits at Melchett Towers and thought he could up his British cousins and make a copy ,but alas not only didnt fly, the engine wouldn't start and the poor Cledus was forced to tow the plane around the bottom with his pair of old broken down mules making air plane noises while his brother Billy Joe Jim Bob turned the prop from the inside to as to con make the local populus think he was an engineering genius. But that tale and a couple of pence wouldn't get you a good cup of kick-a-poo joy juice. 

That tale bought a tear to the cheeks of this battle hardened old Harrovian back-four warhorse and yes, I had heard the story when a nipper from my great aunt's, second cousin's best friend's, bowling partner's, taxi driver son on law, Cleetus Zebulon Cornpop Melchett XVIII (no relation.)...so I knew it to be true. 

Here are the interior appointments to my Jules Verne "Nautilus" submarine. Organ, lounge, even an oriental rug! Everything (except the rug, chair, and Victorian people) came stock with the kit!

Looks good Bill but I fear we have slightly smaller dimensions to work with. I was looking at ways of throwing in a Chesterfield, stand-up shower, library, observation deck, radiogram,/magic lantern, bureau de Change and in-flight drinks cabinet....but sadly looks like we only have room for a modestly proportioned Armitage Shanks and a motheaten piece of Axminster.

• Haha 13

Yes I understand that Ol' Cleedus(or Cledus depending on how far North you're from) was of the Smackover Melchetts. Formerly of the Okalona Melchetts. But Cleedus' Great-Great Grand Pappy, Ewald Harlan Bocephus Melchett apparently got run out of town on a rail, tarred and feathered due to some nasty rumors about his animal husbandry acumen. But that it was actually his brother Edwin ,nee Edwina, that was the actual culprit. but by then the damage had been done. So it's not suprising that Cleedus was a might "touched" in the head. But then there was him getting kicked in the head by a mule as a baby.  so go figure.

• Haha 12

Yes I understand that Ol' Cleedus(or Cledus depending on how far North you're from) was of the Smackover Melchetts.

Ah, the Smackover Melchetts, a stain on the family name and only mentioned in hushed tones round these here parts....as opposed to their Welsh siblings, the Smackhead Melchetts, who are constantly coming to the attention of the local constabulary, accused of all manner of crimes against gated livestock, including a predilection for goat hurling and pig slinging.....a rum lot, to be sure.

• Haha 13

4 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Actually Martian there is a tale told by some loose mouth folk down  Arkansas way that it was a very distant relative , a Cledus Zebadiah Cornpone Melchett, 4th cousin of his 2nd Uncle twice removed on The Generals  Grans side that heard about the exploits at Melchett Towers and thought he could up his British cousins and make a copy ,but alas not only didnt fly, the engine wouldn't start and the poor Cledus was forced to tow the plane around the bottom with his pair of old broken down mules making air plane noises while his brother Billy Joe Jim Bob turned the prop from the inside to as to con make the local populus think he was an engineering genius. But that tale and a couple of pence wouldn't get you a good cup of kick-a-poo joy juice. That might have been what @billn53 was referencing.

And we have our first Wibble Factor Eleven!!

3 hours ago, RAF4EVER said:

Exhaust gases will be collected to super-charge the engine😈

Ah! That explains the rubber hose emanating from Baldrick's trousers.

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

.but sadly looks like we only have room for a modestly proportioned Armitage Shanks and a motheaten piece of Axminster.

Armitage Shanks? You told me that that was only for the lily livered types who would rather stay at home and be cosseted by Nanny, rather than charge stark naked at a trench full of heavy machine gun toting Huns, armed only with a pink, feather duster. You claimed that real passengers would prefer to use the fresh air orifices with their infinite gutter installations on either side of theirs seats.

13 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Ah, the Smackover Melchetts, a stain on the family name and only mentioned in hushed tones round these here parts....as opposed to their Welsh siblings, the Smackhead Melchetts, who are constantly coming to the attention of the local constabulary, accused of all manner of crimes against gated livestock, including a predilection for goat hurling and pig slinging.....a rum lot, to be sure.

This is all true. We met some of them on our visit to Melchett Towers last summer.

Martian :frantic:

• Haha 12

14 minutes ago, Martian said:

A

Armitage Shanks? You told me that that was only for the lily livered types who would rather stay at home and be cosseted by Nanny, rather than charge stark naked at a trench full of heavy machine gun toting Huns, armed only with a pink, feather duster. You claimed that real passengers would prefer to use the fresh air orifices with their infinite gutter installations on either side of theirs seats.

This is all true. We met some of them on our visit to Melchett Towers last summer.

Martian :frantic:

Attention Ladies and Gentlemen, Attention.  It appears that it is now time to don our hip waders cuz it's starting to get a tad deep around here abouts. Mind your step and your manners. That is all.

• Haha 9

I suppose that I must drag things back to a sort of sensible perspective, if only to report on my progress and to explain about fitting the Eduard Le Rhone. The fix is about as easy as it can get. All one has to do is to drill out the recess in the firewall designed to accept the original kit parts so that the new engine will sit deep enough to allow the kit cowling to fit. in terms of diameter, the Eduard engine just fits. I may thin out the inside of the cowling a tad to allow myself a bit of wiggle room. On the inside, I have added a bit of structure to the rear of the firewall and opened up a small hatch that appears on the port side of the fuselage. This will allow a bit more light into the front of the cabin and allow more detail to be seen in that area.

It is necessary to relocate the instrument panel as this fowls the passage of the shaft that the engine rotates around and the carburettor that is attached to this. I have constructed a frame for the new instrument panel. I have no idea it it is correct or not but it is workable. To be honest, who knows where Baldrick would have put the panel; he may even have sat on it for all we know, so confused as he seems to be about the location of various parts of his anatomy. I have finished the structure of the fuselage and am now ready to take a look at that Ladies Powder Room that has been talked about. Be warned though, there is a dark and sordid secret attached to this part of the aircraft. It is recommended that you have a responsible adult, and preferably with the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant on hand when we come to that part of the build. 🤮

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Martian said:

I suppose that I must drag things back to a sort of sensible perspective, if only to report on my progress and to explain about fitting the Eduard Le Rhone. The fix is about as easy as it can get. All one has to do is to drill out the recess in the firewall designed to accept the original kit parts so that the new engine will sit deep enough to allow the kit cowling to fit. in terms of diameter, the Eduard engine just fits. I may thin out the inside of the cowling a tad to allow myself a bit of wiggle room. On the inside, I have added a bit of structure to the rear of the firewall and opened up a small hatch that appears on the port side of the fuselage. This will allow a bit more light into the front of the cabin and allow more detail to be seen in that area.

It is necessary to relocate the instrument panel as this fowls the passage of the shaft that the engine rotates around and the carburettor that is attached to this. I have constructed a frame for the new instrument panel. I have no idea it it is correct or not but it is workable. To be honest, who knows where Baldrick would have put the panel; he may even have sat on it for all we know, so confused as he seems to be about the location of various parts of his anatomy. I have finished the structure of the fuselage and am now ready to take a look at that Ladies Powder Room that has been talked about. Be warned though, there is a dark and sordid secret attached to this part of the aircraft. It is recommended that you have a responsible adult, and preferably with the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant on hand when we come to that part of the build. 🤮

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

7 hours ago, Martian said:

I think you mean Starboard side for the hatch😈 unless Martian Port and Starboard are reversed,which is possible

Edited by RAF4EVER
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

Port, surely.

Right at the front, er, I assume the bit with the small hatch IS at the front?

:(

Port= Left, Starboard=Right,Easy way to remember is no Red Port Left in the bottle👍

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Port, surely.

Right at the front, er, I assume the bit with the small hatch IS at the front?

:(

I stand corrected.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

@general melchett great interior indeed !!

Can't wait to see the windows adorned with style !!

Well done @Martian, Looking at the small hatch make me thinking of Steam Jonesy...

A blue overall and a fabric cap for the "pilot" please ???

Do not forget the red scarf !!

Ah, @billn53, welcome back to the naughty corner :rofl2::rofl2: Factor minus ten !! 

Have a white Chimay on my behalf !!!

What a great thread !!

Well, keep up that good work !!

CC:bandit:

• Haha 3

Looking at the small hatch make me thinking of Steam Jonesy...

A blue overall and a fabric cap for the "pilot" please ???

Do not forget the red scarf !!

I ran this by Bletchley Park CC and they came up with a 95% match for 'Casey Jones', (a steamin' and a rollin', Casey Jones, you never have to guess, when you hear, the tootin' of the whistle etc, etc (something akin to Darling arriving home after one of his freestyle spoon-arranging and napkin folding evenings)...I await confirmation that you require a likeness of Alan Hale jr and Cinders, his lightly toasted dog. 

• Haha 8

18 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

But Cleedus' Great-Great Grand Pappy, Ewald Harlan Bocephus Melchett apparently got run out of town on a rail, tarred and feathered due to some nasty rumors about his animal husbandry acumen. But

I heard that episode happened very shortly after he was almost beaten to death by his jealous neighbour after said neighbour discovered he actually had more than 4 teeth in his mouth!

Ian

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

I ran this by Bletchley Park CC and they came up with a 95% match for 'Casey Jones', (a steamin' and a rollin', Casey Jones, you never have to guess, when you hear, the tootin' of the whistle etc, etc (something akin to Darling arriving home after one of his freestyle spoon-arranging and napkin folding evenings)...I await confirmation that you require a likeness of Alan Hale jr and Cinders, his lightly toasted dog. 

https://ps-af.facebook.com/traindespignes/videos/a-bord-de-la-locomotive/1212787558818164/

Here's an exemple....

CC

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Incidentally, back in 2001 I became an uncle - Upon ringing my dad to find out further details, it transpired that I had a niece and that she had been named Kasey.

Imagine my relief to discover that she'd not got our family name and wouldn't be known as Kasey Jones....

IanJ(ones)

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I heard that episode happened very shortly after he was almost beaten to death by his jealous neighbour after said neighbour discovered he actually had more than 4 teeth in his mouth!

Ian

Actually when the Melchetts of Smackover  had the yearly family reunion and could get  32 of them in one room together without some form of pugilistic shenanigans occurring(mostly from the womenfolk) they reputably had a FULL set of teeth

• Haha 9