16 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I wish you well with this endeavour.

I am not entirely certain that the rest of us do Colin, surely more manic uncertainties are de rigeur for this type of construction project.

Martian old buddy we did have a BM goat hanging around anyway, don't tell me CC lost it again...

That boy, good to an amazing degree with choice Continental beers as he is, plays havoc with livestock...

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Trust me, I might have done far worst....:rofl2::rofl2:

CC

Nobody doubted you for a second CC.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I am not entirely certain that the rest of us do Colin, surely more manic uncertainties are de rigeur for this type of construction project.

Martian old buddy we did have a BM goat hanging around anyway, don't tell me CC lost it again...

That boy, good to an amazing degree with choice Continental beers as he is, plays havoc with livestock...

:rofl2::rofl2:

Be careful Bill !!

64568944_433519557428181_6962883671833444352_n

One of such an havoc ????

73358341_2670833226335871_7672345722909360128_n

15 minutes ago, Martian said:

Nobody doubted you for a second CC.

Martian 👽

Thank you my Dear Martian...

it's good to be recognized :cheers::cheers:

Sooo, what about the "Flying mobilhome" or the multiblade "Flying razor" ???

I found a better pitot tube for the Zerbe since Speckled Jim is now in a retirement home....

Scottish Hummingbird will be great too....

82306257_3579011332141432_4430706760977743872_n

And be careful you all !!

70968259_2296683333774642_1086039797132165120_o

You still are in a Puffin controled area.....

Closely watching any Chilli or goat mistreatment.....

:evil_laugh:

Sincerely your !!

CC

• Haha 12

Great project! I have this kit in my stash and want to build it one day ...

Regarding the wheels:

The Gaspatch spoke wheels are great, but I do not like the idea to use it here. The 3-layer spokes looks much different to the ones used on this Zerbe airplane.

I will make my own spokes again, as on this Aviatik 30.40 in same scale:

As usual with my models downscaled originals, I will use a Small Stuff rotary engine.

Have fun with this build!

Cheers,

Frank

Edited by Bughunter
removed bad wording
  • Like 3

A small update....don't want you to think I'm slacking here but I've been busy behind the scenes, as well as performing maintenance jobs on MT and sharing duties with several other hobbies....time management is a must around here as 'spare time for styrene tickling, as I'm sure is the case for many of you, is at a premium. 

Anyhoo, suffice to say that I've fired up the Saturn 2 to begin churning out parts for the abzerbeity that is the 'Air Sedan'. details later but I can tell you it includes the much vaunted goat.

AGD-2745.jpg

Also, I've managed to mark out the position of the interior frames to be fitted later, pending the arrival of some fancy interior enhancements. Knowing where to draw the elasticated 'thin red line' is difficult, predicated by the space available inside the contrivance. Anyway, we'll see what can be done. 

AGD-2742.jpg

Hideous as it looks it is also an interesting subject. Early aviation design looked more like powered cabinetry than aircraft design.

And therein lies the attraction, Colin...thank the modelling gods that these early pioneers of hideous aerial lunacy had the foresight to know what we niche modellers would enjoy fettling in years to come...

CC, glad to see the bar of your wibble-o-meter has raised itself yet again...good man, keep 'em coming, thick and fast.........the straightjacket and ball gag are on standby, Baldrick tells me he's only to happy to oblige.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Thanks Frank, agree about the Gaspatch wheels, the Palmer Cords aren't correct for the Air Sedan but as my model will be more a 'modified' version for fun than a strictly accurate representation of the aircraft, they will suffice. I was looking at the Scalespokes wheels which would be more representative but decided I'd spent quite enough on this small kit as it is. If I was going for better accuracy I'd probably invest in those. Same goes for the La Rhone 9J, the Small Stuff Rotaries are top quality but for the amount of detail that will be seen with the cowl in place (unless of course, you remove the cowl for display), the Brassin resin, with some light scratch work, will do the job. 

Beautiful job on the Aviatik btw, a very realistic finish and the wheels look superb. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bughunter said:

Great project! I have this kit in my stash and want to build it one day ...

Regarding the wheels:

The Gaspatch spoke wheels are great, but I do not like the idea to use it here. The 3-layer spokes looks much different to the ones used on this Zerbe airplane.

I will make my own spokes again, as on this Aviatik 30.40 in same scale:

As usual with my models downscaled originals, I will use a Small Stuff rotary engine.

Have fun with this build!

Cheers,

Frank

Thanks Frank, you are quite right about the wheels but the Gaspatch ones look way better than the kit efforts and as this is a fun build, I am going for the easy and quick option; plus I want to get on to the silly stuff which will mostly be in the diorama part of the project.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Shock, Horror, Lock all the doors, Bolt all the windows! :frantic: Whilst trying to dig up some more information on the Air Sedan, a very dark and murky conspiracy was uncovered. As far as can be currently ascertained, The Sedan was actually designed and constructed by Baldrick. The name Zerbe was used as a red herring to throw people off the scent, practically impossible with anything to do with Balders, of some very dodgy dealings involving Captains Darling and Slackbladder, the War Office and a certain General of the Imperial General Staff of this parish.

It seems that our esteemed General got Baldrick to design and construct the machine and then sold it at an outrageous price to Captain Darling, who in his capacity of quartermaster of the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps was looking for a good transport for said organisation. The Air Sedan became redundant at the end of hostilities and was snapped up for sixpence by Captain Slackbladder as war surplus. At the same time, the General was looking to expand into the airline industry and had set up a company by the name of Air Melchett (Fly Melchie) to service his bucket and spade holiday business, Hogmanay Holidays, and Captain Slackbladder was able to sell the Sedan on to Melchie for the princely sum of twenty two guineas and sixpence and a bag of Jelly Babies.

On the very reasonable grounds that the name Baldrick Air Sedan might be a tad "off putting" to some punters, the General just pulled the fist few letters from his scrabble set and came up with the name Zerbe. Police investigations are still ongoing and updates on the situation will be posted as and when further information is recieved. :police:

As to the build, I decided to cover the floor of the cabin with some wood veneer I had kicking about and assembled the kit supplied interior parts to it. The Eduard wicker seats fit onto their respective seat supports OK but the gap between the supports for the pilot's station is to wide for the seat. I got round this by adding a couple of brackets to the rear support All three seats can now be mounted when I have got them cleaned up and painted. The good news is that they will be very visible through the large and very clear window parts supplied in the kit. I have begun to work out where the framing for the cabin will be going. I have added the main longerons and will be using the kit window parts to get the position of the frames spot on.

Martian 👽

007.jpg

011.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

PS: It has recently been discovered that this machine was not flown from the Washington County Fairgrounds at Fayetteville, this being another ruse to try and throw the Fraud Squad off the scent. The Sedan's flying operations were all conducted from the lower field/swamp at Melchett Towers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

Update....we're moving along here at a pace (OK, it's slightly faster than a snail, possibly more a racing slug, but it's a pace, nonetheless) and now have a few 3D printed bits and bobs needed for this one.

Firstly, the postie made the perilous trek from the road to the front door of MT, dropping off a small package before being roundly thrashed within an inch of his life by Baldrick (no idea why, something personal about strikes and the late arrival of his Marrow Surprise wine kit he ordered over 7 months ago, I'm guessing). This was the Eduard La Rhone which looks rather nice and will do the job admirably....providing I can fit it under the cowl without butchering the thing (might have to model it, tackle out!)

AGD-2748.jpg

Secondly, I printed off some parts needed for the build in the form of some wicker comfy chairs, a couple of Speckled Jim's, some wall lights and a pair of goats. All parts were rescaled and sliced using Lychee Pro. I always make multiple prints, just in case anything goes wrong which can save you a headache and not really use that much extra resin. I've used a lot of commercial printers now and must admit to being particularly impressed with the Saturn 2. It turns out prints of amazing fidelity once the correct parameters for a particular resin are dialled in. This takes time but four years of experience of 3D production printing has definitely come in handy. My go-to resin is Siraya Tech Navy Grey with which I've had nothing but excellent results (sometimes I add a little Siraya Tech Tenacious for extra toughness).

Next up, some suitable figures to fit the bill.

Anyhoo, here are the first batch of parts after being removed from their supports, cleaned up and cured in my uv light cabinet.

Cheers for looking :cheers:

AGD-2749.jpg

AGD-2751.jpg

AGD-2760.jpg

AGD-2765.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It seems quite appropriate that I'm listening to Shine on you crazy Diamond as I read this.

When I first saw the pictures of the box I had to go back into the kitchen and check that this South African Whisky wasn't much stronger than 40%.

I also wonder if they had to shoot the stress engineer who signed off on this thing at least twice in the head, to ensure it didn't happen again.

To think they tried to persuade real humans to go for a ride in it! Good job that there seems to be room in the cockpit for the Pilots guide dog.

Anyway, at least we now have goats. So it may well all end up okay and result in nothing worse than a press release and denial from Boeing.

Good luck to the pair of you. I'm off to bang my head against my favourite piece of wall in an effort to dislodge the memory of having been here.

Nurse! The sick bowl! Spit spot!

• Haha 6

I'm off to bang my head against my favourite piece of wall in an effort to dislodge the memory of having been here.

Pete, I'm so sorry to put you through this but Martian made me do it, honest. Zerbe may well have heeded your words as the Air Sedan was his last project before disappearing off the scene. Apparently he was found dead in his hotel room in New York before the thing even 'took to the air'...whether at his own hand or some highly agitated investor will never be known...

Here is Mr Zerbe making good his getaway, pedalling furiously for all he's worth, following the signing over of the Air Sedan to the investors, Note the investors trying to prevent his escape, one in a balloon, armed with a blunderbuss and a copy of the small print.

zerbe-multiplane.jpg?w=497&zoom=2

Interestingly In a coda to the story, the pilot, Tom Flaherty was fined ten dollars on September 14, 1921, for assault and battery on two men who were part owners of the Zerbe Air Sedan, reportedly over the failure of one to pay him money due for his role in the plane’s try-outs.

A guide dog...now there's a thought :hmmm:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, billn53 said:

To add to the developing madness, What if Zerbe’s (Baldrick’s?) designs had proven successful? Consider the possibilities of combining this:

52627695343_6c8c2e837a_b.jpg

with this:

52626710487_06147c48a6_b.jpg

(I wonder if they serve goat?)

Wibble factor eight!

Martian (Master of the wibbles) 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wonderful !!!

Now, we have goats, although the male one is surely a cross breeding with a sabre tooth tiger !!

We have excellent rendition of speckled Jim !!

@billn53 bring us Tortillas instead of the fav chilli con carne... That said carne can obviously be goat meat....

Just considering the fact that the cooking time for goat meat will be a bit longer....

Always helping CC is now providing a pic of the used guide dog... For future printing.... Who knows ??

219646452_10223954269496920_5776693077600976879_n

Can't wait to see more on the flying mobilhome.....

Or baldrick Airways Co.....

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It seems quite appropriate that I'm listening to Shine on you crazy Diamond as I read this.

When I first saw the pictures of the box I had to go back into the kitchen and check that this South African Whisky wasn't much stronger than 40%.

Good luck to the pair of you. I'm off to bang my head against my favourite piece of wall in an effort to dislodge the memory of having been here.

40 Volts only....

If this is a south African Whiskey, that surely mean 40 SA%

The conversion table is about at 1,8.......

But Shhhhht !!! It's a secret.... Only due to the sunny weather down there....

Have a Blue chimay Pete !!

As a comfort... You are not dreaming awake....

This is actually happening...:bandit::bandit:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 7

Apparently, when designing the Air Sedan, Zerbe's first thought was this;

img2.jpg

He decided, it was 'people'......what could possibly go wrong.

His second thought was.....do we really need primary and secondary control surfaces and all that complicated nonsense that ruins the handsome sleek look of the design and adds unwanted weight when a complicated and heavy wing-warping system of interconnecting levers and ganged linkages will do? Besides, who needs roll, pitch and yaw control authority anyway :shrug:    not me.

• Haha 11

Well, on the other hand...

My dear Martian, Put a winch on a window and try Target Tug with your Zerbe.....

I'm sure that @Terry1954 will fully agree....

Then Black and yellow will look grerat....

It will look great beside the Roc....

IMG_20191110_093754

Just saying.... Let the blurgelcruncheon on the rack.... :door:

Totally helpful CC

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Well, on the other hand...

My dear Martian, Put a winch on a window and try Target Tug with your Zerbe.....

I'm sure that @Terry1954 will fully agree....

Then Black and yellow will look grerat....

It will look great beside the Roc....

IMG_20191110_093754

Just saying.... Let the blurgelcruncheon on the rack.... :door:

Totally helpful CC

We are not amused. :fight:  Wibble factor 0.

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

Put a winch on a window and try Target Tug with your Zerbe.....

Now be reasonable CC, what would you think it could have towed? anything other than a stream of one-ply bog roll would have had such a dramatic effect on what little stability the thing had that it would have, in all probability, 'flown' uncontrollably backwards.......before the inevitable return to the unwelcoming bosom of Mother Earth :boom:.

Martian, be so good as to pass the blurglecruncheon, if you would.

• Haha 9

9 hours ago, general melchett said:

Now be reasonable CC, what would you think it could have towed? anything other than a stream of one-ply bog roll would have had such a dramatic effect on what little stability the thing had that it would have, in all probability, 'flown' uncontrollably backwards.......before the inevitable return to the unwelcoming bosom of Mother Earth :boom:.

Mmmmh....

You're surely right my dear General....

Now, with red and white stripes, it can be used as a towed target.....

Unless the missiles will miss it on account of laughing too hard ???

Wher's Terry when we need him ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

Now, with red and white stripes, it can be used as a towed target.....

Unless the missiles will miss it on account of laughing too hard ???

Now that seems a much better plan although, as you say, no self-respecting missile would consider engaging such a ridiculous target. Just flying within half a mile of it should do the trick...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, general melchett said:

I think I have a spare somewhere, I'll pop it in the post. You will need the Electric Cactus setting. Bend over CC, it's blurglecruncheon time! :yikes: (One would think that CC had enough trouble on his plate, what with being a lifer in the Naughty Corner! )

Sadistic of Mars 👽

• Haha 8