Following much deliberation @general melchett and your scribe decided that the bonkers side of Britmodeller was badly in need of spicing up. These thoughts coincided with Avis' 1/48 scale release of the Zerbe Air Sedan:

002.jpg

Clearly, this was a God sent opportunity to bring some extra insanity to these august forums. The eccentricity of the subject lends itself to some interesting interior decorating possibilities as well some "interesting" opportunities for vignettes or dioramas. I have already got some appropriate figures laid by for this build and believe his generalship has been thinking along very similar lines.

It looks like Mrs Martian intends to chip in on the constructive ideas front as she has already suggested that my diorama could be called "Fly Hogmanay Holidays". No doubt the "Usual Suspects" will have their own ideas: all suggestions, the sillier the better, being welcome.

In what will most likely be the last sensible contribution to this thread, here are the sprue shots:

003.jpg

Both the General and myself are going to be replacing the kit wheels with a pair of the rather splendid spoked wheels produced by Gaspatch Models.  So, without further ado, over to you good Earthlings. I shall be starting my build tomorrow so as to give @Mike time to run and hide.

Deranged of Mars 👽

PS: Every bonkers post will be marked with a wibble factor.

• Like 27
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Well this is a momentous and a sublime occasion into the depths of interstellar insanity. Maybe paint it John Deere Green and Yellow  and have a slogan card ... Nothing jumps skyward.... almost.... Like  Deere

• Haha 8

Already built it and it got an outstanding ovation of "RHUBARBs"when displayed at our last club meet.

I'm known therein for my love of obscurities but this was voted my most obscure........can't think why !

You may have noticed @Martian, that the driver [hesitate to call him a pilot] observes his progress [?] from a window betwixt engine and landing gear, thereby being the first to be aware of imminent impact with terra firma. This would render it unlikely that he could give any potential passengers any warning of their imminent demise.

Good luck with the build and I can guarantee the knotting of tentacles when it comes to installing the "flying surfaces".

Rog

• Like 5

Apols for the late arrival but I had the devil's own job rousing Darling (as opposed to arousing, let me make that quite clear) from his Cream and Pedro Ximénez induced coma after a particularly heavy night of table-stacking at the local YMCA 'meet-and-greet' and setting up the daguerreotype studio here at the newly refurbished Melchett Towers. The old genny needs a few hand-cranks to get her fired up, ooh-err memsahib, but once the Voltaic Piles are up and running (painful but necessary) I will endeavour to take a few images of the offending article and outline the plan, such as it is. 

I have to say that this was all Martians idea so blame him if it turns out badly.

Should be a bit of fun so let's see what breaks loose.

Melchie

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Martian said:

In what will most likely be the last sensible contribution to this thread, here are the sprue shots:

Those are surely alien heiroglyphs, not sensible sprues!

That wing arrangement looks like it should have David Niven sitting on it...

Good luck with this quixotic blend of aeronuaghtiness you two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

That wing arrangement looks like it should have David Niven sitting on it...

Good luck with this quixotic blend of aeronuaghtiness you two.

Thanks Tony, actually it kind of reminds me of a collapsible ladder...which is precisely how it ended up. His earlier devices were even worse, this looks positively 'modern' in comparison.

The Zerbe Sextuplane........don't ask! This threesome looks justifiably perturbed.

1280px-Zerbe_Sextuplane_(cropped).jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Thought I'd just add a few images and thoughts about the kit while Martian is gathering himself for the coming battle. I haven't done any modelling whatsoever for the past five months due to one thing and another so we thought it might be fun to do a 'buddy build' of this strange machine and see what we can come up with. Of course out weirding each other but keeping within the remit of 'responsible behaviour' is the order of the day. Hope you enjoy it.

Anyhow, now that Darling has done the honours with the photographicals here are a few piccies of the parts as provided and some of the aftermarket parts I intend to use.  Added to that I'll also be 3D printing a few replacement parts to add to the mayhem. A diorama/vignette base will, of course, be added towards the end of the onslaught.

The kit...

Unfortunately, while the engine is excellently moulded it would appear to be the wrong type. As modelled the engine is either a 90 hp Le Rhône 9C or 100 hp Gnôme but evidence suggests it was more likely to have been a 110 hp Le Rhône 9J which looked quite different. 

AGD-2723.jpg

Cropped image from one of my tomes in the Victory library. Difficult to tell from the limited photos but with the larger cylinder size and arrangement I'd say that this seems to show a 9J. So, either a0 modify the kit parts and hope no one notices, b) scratch build one using an engine from another kit as a base or c) troll out the Saturn 2 to the launch pad and print a 3D version. Not sure yet.

Zerbe-air-sedan-1-002.jpg

Le Rhône 9C as provided in the kit

250px-Le_Rhone_9C.jpg

and a Le Rhône 9J  (the cylinders were obviously wider and set further forward on the casing as well as the copper induction tubes being placed at the rear)

300px-Le_Rhone_Model_9J_1.jpg

Fuselage sides, looking more reminiscent of a Wild West stagecoach than an aeroplane, quite in keeping with the rest of the contraption. These are featureless but the option to have the front door open is handy and will come in use later. Nice floral curtains for those windows would go down rather well.

AGD-2724.jpg

The floor and roof with seat positions indented...cries out for a decent piece of Axminster.

AGD-2725.jpg

Sundries, work will be needed on the prop, (probably replacement) other bits seem OK.

AGD-2726.jpg

More odds and sods...those seats will have to go, I'll be 3D printing wicker replacements. The whole interior will be redecorated with one or two oddities added, such as candelabras, chandleries, occasional table, radiogram...the usual.....as to be expected.

AGD-2735.jpg

The bizarre wing linkage system. Seems overscale so I can see a total replacement being needed.

AGD-2728.jpg

Nice, clear glazing. Avis thoughtfully included a spare window as the part attached to the runner had a strange blemish in the centre as can be seen here. Not sure if that goes for all of them but it's certainly appreciated here.

AGD-2730.jpg

The'wheels'...less said the better. I can see what they were getting at but to be honest it's not a great option. The wheel spoke arrangement was complex and the only option for me, and I know Martian agrees, are the fantastic Gaspatch Models Palmer Cord items, They are sublime.

AGD-2731.jpg

AGD-2733.jpg

The four planks that pass for wings. In fairness to Avis, the few photographs available seem to show that these were featureless with no evidence of ribbing so this might well be accurate.

AGD-2736.jpg

All those lovely 'oles to work with.....should be fun.

AGD-2737.jpg

To portray all that lovely plywood and balsa veneer Uschi's decals will be used. I'm not strictly bothered about accurately portraying the finish on the original contraption as this is more a 'flight of fancy' of a 'flight of fancy' if you get my meaning. It was Martian's suggestion that I portray the thing as my personal army transport, circa 1921. Seems the sort of thing I would have felt befitted a grizzled old war horse with his dicky bows and dicky bladder.

AGD-2734.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 20

Just was thinking to start my Air Sedan and I had the same thoughts about the engine and I ordered Sopwith Camel Le Rhone made by Eduard, and 3 3D printed wicker seats for the same Camel. However, I had no idea about the wheels from Gaspatch Models. Now I know what I will use. :D

And short Zerbe Air Sedan history:

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/zerbe-air-sedan-3671/

Edited by lord_karton
  • Like 1

From Wikipedia:

"The aircraft . . . was a positive staggered equal span quadruplane with double cambered louvered main wings. Equipped with no tailplane or ailerons, the machine was controlled using "ganged" or linkage connected wings with variable-incidence."

The engineer in me wonders exactly how that was supposed to work?

(apparently, not so well . . . .)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

The whole interior will be redecorated with one or two oddities added, such as candelabras, chandleries, occasional table, radiogram...the usual.....as to be expected.

Goat. You must have a goat.

(It was Arkansas, after all)

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Forgotten I'd ordered the Eduard Le Rhone, should be here soon........that's old age for you.:doh:

You're not the only one: I even forgot to order it and have been wondering where it is!

Senile of Mars 👽

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

(It was Arkansas, after all)

definitely the goat is mandatory....

Now a Puffin used as a pitot tube and yaw control will complete the whole picture....

I can(t miss this thread...

Is there any room left for me ??

Buddy build with the ETI and the General.....

I was waiting for that for so long.....

Fire at will Gents !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 6

Yes, the regimental Billy will make an appearance, whether as a mascot or a food source has yet to be determined. 

Is there any room for me ??

Buddy build with the ETI and the General.....

I was waiting for that for so long.....

Fire at will Gents !!

CC, buckle up, break out a few bottles of T-Stoff and give yourself a good towelling down. Of course there’s room for you, I have the Enigma decoder to hand and Bletchley Park on the hot line…what can go wrong. Nice idea with the puffin skewered onto a pitot but I think we may have trouble with the humane society with that one. I was thinking along the lines of Speckled Jim, atop the tail fin, wearing a pith helmet and towing a large rather battered Union flag.

(Poor Will, he always gets it in the neck).

• Haha 6

In fairness, he whole thing looks like it was a bit of a running goat. More than a hint of Steampunk about it. Ah, now there's a suggestion, gentlemen!

I'd never heard of this type before seeing this thread, or any of Zerbe's designs for that matter. What an utterly, marvellously bonkers machine, screaming out for a 1/72 scratchbuild (where's a Moa when you need one?). Hmm...

I foresee some eccentricity looming.

Jon

Edited by Jonners
  • Haha 5