Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop

Built from the 1/48 Eduard "Spitfire Story: Southern Star" Dual Combo boxing. Spitfire Mk.Vb trop ER821 of 92 San in Tunisia 1943. This kit was superb and was just what I needed - something easy to build after many a struggle recently. Built pretty much as per the instructions, I cannot remember any articular problems, apart from maybe a slightly dodgy fit of the huge tropical filter - but nothing too serious. I chose this set of markings from the box since I have a background Neville Duke and/or 92 San theme going. Colours started out as Mr Hobby H71/72 for the Dark Earth/Mid stone but they have been modified a fair bit by oil washes and filters. The underside was Humbrol 157 based on research found on this very site. This was the first time I have tried the  "new" Eduard decals with the removable film. I have to say I loved them as it enabled the markings to be chipped and weathered a little. I found them fairly easy to work with but did have to mask and spray a few repairs here and there. As to the colours for the squadron codes - well there are a few reasons to doubt the blue colour but there are also reasons to believe it could be right too so I just went with it.

All in all I am pleased with the outcome and recommend this excellent kit!

Cheers 

Malcolm

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52

Just now, jenko said:

Fantastic. and not a red crow bar in site👍👍

Thanks - Well I have seen quite a few pictures with no crow bar at all so that's how it was portrayed - saves any controversy........

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That looks lovely.   :thumbsup:    No photo of the underside?

Thank you Bob. Sorry - forgot all about the underside - I will take a shot or two next time I have the camera gear out.

Cheers

Malcolm

For retired Bob - a pic of the underside. Attempted to make it look like an oil stained but wiped down mess. Don't usually worry too much about the bottom!

Cheers

(Retired) Malcolm

spacer.png

• Like 4

The recent Humbrol 157 seems to capture the correct shade with a slight purple hue compared to the RAF museum book. Did you use the new acrylic version or the last of the Enamel tins? Also the Red spinner seems perfect as often it looks too light compared with the real photos of RAF Desert spitfires you can see in the Imperial War Museum collection. What colour did you use for the Red??

I think that your model looks fantastic. The underside looks brilliant.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Baldy said:

For retired Bob - a pic of the underside. Attempted to make it look like an oil stained but wiped down mess. Don't usually worry too much about the bottom!

I wouldn't normally request a bottom shot (retired) Malcolm but since you had mentioned the use of Humbrol 157 in the opening description of how it was painted I was curious.  Very impressive paint finish, looks used but not overdone, I was more than interested because I also have the Southern Star boxing, the first Eduard Mk. V kits I have bought, and I agree they look great.  Tempted to build the I R Gleed Spitfire just because of the 3D printed wingtips. :happy:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ROB61 said:

The recent Humbrol 157 seems to capture the correct shade with a slight purple hue compared to the RAF museum book. Did you use the new acrylic version or the last of the Enamel tins? Also the Red spinner seems perfect as often it looks too light compared with the real photos of RAF Desert spitfires you can see in the Imperial War Museum collection. What colour did you use for the Red??

I think that your model looks fantastic. The underside looks brilliant.

Thank you Rob.

After struggling to be convinced by AK Azure Blue a few years back on a Tomahawk, I did a fair bit of research and found that Humbrol Matt 157 was the only off the shelf colour which I was really happy with. But I am talking about the Enamel version and it has to be the right one - the last batches produced. A really odd decision to then go on and discontinue this shade! Not yet tried the Humbrol acrylic 157 but I managed to get hold of a stock of the Enamel from a local art shop of all places. After much experimentation - I thin my Humbrol enamels with Colourcoats thinners which helps them to dry much quicker.

The red was Tamiya X7.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I wouldn't normally request a bottom shot (retired) Malcolm but since you had mentioned the use of Humbrol 157 in the opening description of how it was painted I was curious.  Very impressive paint finish, looks used but not overdone, I was more than interested because I also have the Southern Star boxing, the first Eduard Mk. V kits I have bought, and I agree they look great.  Tempted to build the I R Gleed Spitfire just because of the 3D printed wingtips. :happy:

Thank you Bob. See above for Humbrol Matt 157 explanation. The Eduard Mk. V kits are really nice with superb surface details. I will be looking at other markings too and am all tempted to look at the 3D printed wingtips at some stage.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Thanks Malcolm for the info , I will look out for any stocks of Humbrol enamel 157.  I have some Colourcoats and MRP azure blue so I should be good for all eventualities.  The trouble with those Eduard Spitfires is that I have been tempted by several of those limited edition duo boxings, I just need some of those pills that let you live for an extra 100 years.

Regards

Bob

• Haha 1

Beware of Humbrol 157.  Certainly the older colour was too dark and too purple - much closer to the Light Mediterranean Blue which (coincidently?) is adjacent to it on the MAP colour chart.  (That's Ministry of Aircraft Production, which took over from the Air Ministry for such things.

• Like 1

Wonderful desert Spitfire.  This is my favorite scheme.  (Well there are some FAA schemes that are nice, but that is another ball of wax.)  This is so well done.  I, like you, still try to use the Humbrol enamels that were either made a long time ago or just recently.  Some of the 2010s manufactured were just so unreliable to use.  Love your weathering of this kit.  Thanks for sharing.-+

• Thanks 1