'66 Chevy Fleetside

Hi all! You probably know that I love the Blitzbuilds we have on this forum. Well, every now and then I like to do a little Blitzbuilding by myself. Set a time limit (in this case, the weekend), grab a kit, build it, and accept it with all its flaws. I love doing it. 

This time around, my kit of choice was Revell's Chevrolet Fleetside pickup. 

20221219145829-163b26b2-me.jpg

I like these kits, they're easy to build, and you generally end up with something very close to what the real car looks like. 

I've built the '65 Stepside a couple of years ago, in all white attire. 

20200207173530-c98add98-me.jpg

But I wanted to go down a different path with the Fleetside. The only difference between these kits is the bed and the wheels, by the way. 

Here's proof that I actually started yesterday, honest 😇

20230108165912-ba48abbd-me.jpg

I got the building and basic painting done yesterday, even with a 1,5 hour walk (it was nice outside) and a 1 hour nap in the afternoon 🙂 ... Today was spent weathering and finishing all the little stuff that takes so much time. 

And there you have it. 

20230108165522-abb99ca8-me.jpg

20230108165523-46530cb4-me.jpg

20230108165523-c97c0193-me.jpg

20230108165524-490a5a03-me.jpg

The straw is a little oversized, but whatever, there's something in the bed!

I took down the rear wheels a little bit so there's some sagging going on. It's an old, old truck. 

20230108165524-127b6754-me.jpg

Also, it looks like the bed sits a little wonky. 

20230108165526-12dad332-me.jpg

But that's actually caused by the fact that I couldn't get that cab body to fit properly, no matter what I did. I had to stop because I didn't want to break anything! We'll just say the bed is sagging, the frame may have rotted out in places. This is a farm truck and it's had a hard life. 

The whitewalls are a nice touch. 

20230108165525-27cf176b-me.jpg

I wanted to experiment with a little patina. 

20230108165526-e028efc6-me.jpg

20230108165526-0650d37b-me.jpg

There's a colourful seat cover supplied in the kit so I used that. 

20230108165524-e2d20639-me.jpg

I didn't do anything to the engine or chassis, they're basically still in primer. I glued the hood shut because the fit is very poor and there's nothing to see underneath anyway. 

Full album here. Thanks for watching!

• Like 27

Very nicely done, amazing considering the timeframe.  The sagging truckbed is actually quite a realistic touch, old abused farm trucks often sag at that point through a combination of chassis rot and overloading.  You can almost hear the banjos in the background... 🪕:cowboy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another great build, Jeroen. I like the sun bleached paintwork, I saw lots like that in the Middle East. And as said above, the saggy rear end suits it well.

The stuff in the bed could perhaps be bio fuel. Then it would be the correct size.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

A very well captured recreation of a tired and well used workhorse - I wonder if anyone does a 1/25 scale rendition of a Mike Brewer to bring it back to life.

"..a tired and well-used workhorse" - he fits the description anyway!  :devil:

• Haha 1

Thanks Pete.

14 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The stuff in the bed could perhaps be bio fuel. Then it would be the correct size.

Maybe it's an elephant farm!

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Great build and I like this paint job. Difficult to believe it's a blizbuild.

18 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

That is just amazing! Increadible how you manage such a model in only weekend and with that paintwork... 👍

Thanks guys! Well, I find painting like this a lot easier than doing the glossy kind! No worries about specks of dust, drying times, and that sort of thing 🙂

3 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

That was done over a weekend? :worthy:

Seriously, I'd be thrilled with that result with months of effort!.

Thanks dnl! Well, the kit builds easily, and not painting the engine and such takes a serious chunk out of time spent. 

• Thanks 1

Can't believe you did that in a weekend, rather puts my 25% of a pair of seats to shame. Excellent end result which looks pretty close to the sort of thing I saw when out in Utah a few years back.

• Thanks 1

I really like the build idea and the results!  A quick and well done project, finished well before you could get burned out or tired of working on it and it looks really good! Bravo!

Cheers

Nick 

Edited by Stickframe
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rod666 said:

Great work, and great wethering too! From where did you get the checkered upholstery?

Thanks, the upholstery is a two-part decal supplied with the kit.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...